Discourage

Gen27
on 8/9/17 8:39 am - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

Hi Guys,

So, I had my referral from my family doctor about 2 weeks ago. I got some faith that eventually I will be free from my trapped body.

long story short, I got my follow up with one of the surgeon that does the surgery where i live (it was a follow up for something else than the WLS) anyways, I have issue with my stomach, my size came to play at one point, so I pointed out the fact that I got a referral to go see her for a WLS. I just received a weird vibe from her, that she tried to discourage me from doing it? she just basically said it was not magical to get the surgery and that I will need to do changes and that it's most likely being healthy that would help me lose weight.

it just puts me down because I know that it's just a tools not a magical wand, and that I need to do changes in my lifestyle, I just needs help for it. I tried multiples time by myself and ended up by failure. The only time it worked, I was starving myself. Now I know it was NOT healthy, and definitely needs the help. I don't want to justified myself for doing it :( I did my reasearch and was thinking about it for about 3 years now, I know damn well it wont work by itself :/...

I explained to her a little bit about my past with dieting and she then understand where i come from to want to get it and THEN she said it works wonder bla bla bla.. I was kinda effy about it but just brushed it off. She then said I'll see you in a few years for a consult. slap number 2 in my face! I know the wait is long, I just hoped it would take less longer since I already see her (I know I cant go over people that are waiting for it for several years) I was just hoping my follow up with her for everything could be done at the same time, since I already got a gastroscopy (I guess i'll have another one, yeeeee!!!)

I'm sorry to whine about it, I know people waited so long for it, it's just discouraging that she tried to confused me that I didn't needed it and that I was able to basically do it myself :/

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/17 10:31 am

Sorry..... sometimes doctors are not very nice ... I know trust me....keep the faith..

Gen27
on 8/9/17 12:21 pm - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

thank you so much thank god I have found this site!!! it truly help to see how much support I have over here

SweetRide1
on 8/9/17 10:44 am
RNY on 01/16/18

That's so terribly discouraging for you. I am so sorry.

I am truly lucky as I have had nothing but supportive doctors. In fact, 5 years ago, I had a hysterectomy and my Gynecologist and I talked about it. She brought it up. I had never thought that I would be eligible as I didn't see myself as THAT BIG that I should warrant the surgery.

At that time I thought that the procedure was really only done as a last ditch effort to save someone's life because their weight had become so onerous.

I was wrong.

So do you have a referral done now? Are you in the system?

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Gen27
on 8/9/17 12:16 pm - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

oh yes, I have 4 referral total. the one i have seen this morning is closer to me, but I dont care if I need to drive across the country to get it done!

she referred me to the 4 surgeon we have in New Brunswick. She didn't know one (I told her because I found out here that they had one there), but she said she'll look for it, my doctor is awesome!

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/17 12:03 pm
RNY on 03/26/17

Maybe see if you can be referred to another surgeon. All the best buddy, don't let this get you discouraged.

Gen27
on 8/9/17 12:18 pm - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

thanks alot! :)

I got 4 referral so I still have 3 left... lol but she didn't say she wouldn't do it, just that it would take very long before I see her. so, the first that calls, its where i'm gonna go! hopefully when they call me, they are more supportive than that, because it will be hard (it was hard when I left her office, I tried so hard not to cry!!!!)

Patm
on 8/10/17 6:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I think she was just being though. Many people go into this surgery without doing research and think they will be thin for life without a lot of work. After you explained it to her she realised you had done your homework.

For your referral it is not just the surgeon you will see. You will need to see a team who will help you to understand the changes you will need and make sure you are ready for surgery.

Good luck

Gen27
on 8/10/17 7:08 am - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

oh for sure! I do understand that! I know it wont happen over night, I just hope that it will click with the surgeon I will see. and so is the rest haha I didn't forget, just forgot to mentioned it!

Most Active
Recent Topics