Documentary - Yes or No?

Kathy1212
on 9/11/17 8:33 am

Hi Guy57, and welcome!

This is going to be an amazing journey for you; by all means, do a documentary, and if you can get others to join you, that would be great!

I had RNY surgery 7 months ago and it was a life changer for me. It's the best thing I ever did for myself.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

GUY57
on 9/11/17 6:49 pm

Hello Kathy1212! ;-)

You are definitely a star! Wow... I am amazed at your progress! I am definitely leaning towards RNY surgery.... so You are definitely an inspiration!

Thank you for your feedback on the documentary. The more I get feedback from people... the more it seems that the stories of multiple people is the way to go on this one.

Thanks again for your support and keep going my inspirational friend! ;-)

Guy57

Kathy1212
on 9/12/17 5:36 am

Thank you! I'm pretty shocked by my progress too. Losing over 100 Lbs is crazy and wonderful, especially after over 30 years of dieting and losing weight then gaining it all back plus more, and watching the scales go higher and higher.

I lived with such shame pre op, and that all went away during optifast and thank God, hasn't returned.

I'm at my lowest adult weight since I first gained all of my weight when I was 24 years old (I'm 53 now) and it feels incredible. I still have a ways to go.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Dee321ca
on 9/11/17 8:44 am

Hi Guy57 - I love the name, mostly because it seems like there are so many of us in this situation, that it seems like we are just a number in a long list of others. Plus, being in a creative field myself, I know how difficult it is to be creative for your own purposes - we are our own worst creative critics and often feel extra pressure to be brilliant.

Welcome to the forum! I think a Canadian-content based documentary is a great idea as well. Our health care system here is so much different than our neighbours to the south, so I think it would be a valuable resource for those of us that are new to bariatric surgery. I am just starting my journey as well (orientation at St. Joe's Hamilton next month). To prep for it, I read blogs, forums, and listened to American podcasts. They gave me a good idea of what to expect, but their experience was very different than what we know ours will be here. The emotional ups and downs and the 'head struggles' are quite the same though.

I think the stigma of weight loss surgery is huge. I grew up in a family that really frowned upon it and considered the people who did it as 'weak', out of control and unable to help themselves. I lived much of my life in shame because of my weight issues because of this mentality. And hypocritically, I used to have this thinking myself. This is why I am only telling certain people (for now) that I am going through this process. At this time, the negative feedback from some family members (and friends too) would be an obstacle that I just don't need. I can handle it, but I'm choosing not to have to deal with it, if that makes any sense. I'm sure that will change as I go through the motions of everything. A documentary that puts WLS in a positive light and creates awareness is definitely needed. The relevant Canadian content is so appealing - especially to people who are just starting out (like me) or for those considering whether to have WLS at all. Love the idea and please let us know if you need feedback or how it is going!

GUY57
on 9/11/17 7:03 pm

Hey Dee321! ;-)

What an interesting way of looking at our usernames....Numbers in a long list of others waiting for help!

Your creativity shines between the letters of the words you write! I'd love to see some of your work!

You and I will be class of 2017 I see! I go for orientation on Thursday at Guelph. If they said I could have the surgery after the orientation.. I would! I feel like I literally could do the surgery with all the research and scientific publications I've read through.

I think your story is truly a poignant one.... that other people seem to echo. I just don't understand how people would think this is an easy option. I have also found that people seem to take major illness as a secret to be kept. We had people who had cancer in our office... and people would whisper about it as if it would exacerbate the cancer if the words were spoken out loud... yet they would never talk about it in the presence of the person who had it. At Christmas I had an anxiety attack for the first time (existential) and told everyone about it. People came out of the woodwork to tell me that they too had suffered from some sort of anxiety disorder at one time or another.... but didn't want to be judged by everyone else. I didn't understand this sentiment until I got two beautiful kittens. Everyone seemed to nod their heads and say... obviously therapy animals! hahahahaha! Hysterical how people judge literally everything!

Thank you for sharing your story my friend... it definitely helps in moving forward with the surgery as well as giving me more to consider in regards to the documentary.

I will post about the orientation after Thursday so stay tuned!

Guy57

Dee321ca
on 9/11/17 8:45 pm

Hi again Guy57,

I'm pretty sure you have already seen some of my work on grocery store shelves. I am a designer and have had a hand in creating packaging for some major national brands. I conceptualize, execute and art direct ideas that make packages pretty and tempt people into buying them. Needless to say, thinking and dealing with (mostly) food all day proves to be an interesting challenge when you are trying to lose weight.

I understand your eagerness to speed up your WLS process and wanting to get on with things already. I felt like that too at the start but lately I have been realizing that the waiting period can be an important part of the process too. I'm taking the time to reflect and research and prepare. Making very slow, but permanent changes now with how I will need to eat afterward and how I will need to start thinking. I believe it will go far in ensuring my success. My doctor once told me that WLS is a good short term solution. He said it is only part of the process and that you really need to address the whole "head game" part in order to keep it off permanently. He said sometimes it's the head start that you need to give yourself the confidence to keep going with it. Hence, the term "tool" rather than "solution". So I am trying to keep this in mind as I wait. From what I hear, Guelph is a pretty speedy clinic so I'm sure you'll be on the other side of it all before many of us, which is pretty exciting.

It's funny that you mention cancer stigma too. In 2008 I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Had a complete thyroidectomy and radiation treatment after and it scared the living daylights out of me at the time. I made the decision to be totally open with everyone about that experience as I was living it. I was so much more transparent with that than I am being with my WLS. Why? Because I didn't feel like the cancer was my fault. Being overweight feels like my fault, even when I have been told countless times that all of my issues are endocrine related. That's the difference. And it's sad that we are made to feel this way. It's that stigma and acceptable level of fat bias that is out there that creates the shame.

By the way, I have been cancer free going on 9 years.

Sorry to hear about your anxiety attack. Sometimes people really don't know what to say or how to react until they get cues from you on how you approach it. The kitten story is funny and I'm especially partial to kittens as I have two myself. A blue short haired tabby and a feisty, but beautiful Bengal.

It's very nice that you have taken the time to thoroughly respond to everyone's replies. Good luck at your orientation on Thursday. Let us know how it goes.

GUY57
on 9/14/17 5:47 pm

Hey Dee321! ;-)

I think with your eloquence.... a book can't be far off! You are fabulous writer and your vulnerability is very endearing to the reader!

Cancer free for 9 years.... and WLS?? You my friend.... are a superhero!!!

Dee321ca
on 9/14/17 8:55 pm

You are far too kind. I can agree on the vulnerable part, but can't say I've ever been told that about my writing, nor have I ever thought about writing a book. I could definitely design the heck out of the book jacket though!

Kathy S.
on 9/11/17 9:10 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Guy57,

Welcome to OH I am so glad you decided to keep your user name as it's hard coded and can't be changed so you would had to close this account and start a new one. Congratulations on taking charge of your health and get ready for the journey of a life time. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

GUY57
on 9/11/17 7:06 pm

Hey Kathy S! ;-)

I was definitely tempted to close the account and start a new one... but just like most of the work I do... sometimes things happen for a reason.. and the mistakes become what I like best!

Your warm welcome to this magnificent group of inspirational people is truly appreciated my friend!

Guy57

Most Active
Recent Topics