Saxenda

Dreamy74
on 10/16/18 6:50 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi are any of you out there in Ontario/Canada on Saxenda? I got down to 153 and with my reactive hypoglycemia I have gone up to between 165-170 (fluctuates). My endocrinologist thought I might benefit from a short course of Saxenda. Has anyone tried it? I am on day 2. We are giving it until February to see what results, if any, I have. Anyone on it and willing to share their side effects/results/tips/tricks?

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

shiney
on 10/16/18 7:50 am, edited 10/16/18 12:53 am

I have been on Saxenda for a year and have been happy with it. Keep in mind, I have not yet had my surgery and my blood sugar range is normal. My doctor put me on this to manage cravings etc. and help drop some pounds. I lost maybe 10 pounds since being on it.

The first few days, the only side effect I had was a head ache. This lasted for a week or max a week and half. My doc gave me a good tip - I was taking it at night, so maybe that helped me avoid feeling any side effects. I think the most common one they warned me of was nausea - good chance I slept through that.

A few months ago, I realized that I had some more cravings towards the end of the day - so I started to take the medication in the morning instead. This worked well for me, I didn't have side effects and I think I benefit from less hunger later in the day.

Hope this helps. Happy to chat more over direct message if you like.

*TWH* Referral - December 2017; Orientation - March 2018; SW Assessment - May 2018; Nurse Practitioner - June 2018; Nutrition Class - June 2018; Psych - August 2018; Dietitian - August 2018; Appt. w/ Surgeon - November 2018; Surgery date - January 2019

Weight loss

Pre-surgery: 14, M1: 18, M2: 9, M3: 8, M4: 10, M5:6 , M6:9

Dreamy74
on 10/16/18 9:45 am, edited 10/16/18 2:45 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi shiney thanks for your reply. We shall see if it works for me. As a complication from the gastric bypass, I have hypoglycemia and had to introduce carbs and sugar back into my diet. Despite going to exercise for an hour every day the sugar has caused the pounds to creep back on at only 3.5 years out. I really hope Saxenda will help. It's interesting, I took it yesterday and today at 6 a.m. To be honest I don't really have any cravings to begin with due to the surgery, but I notice today that thinking about what I am going to eat is making me a tad nauseas. I forgot my lunch today at work so it's either soup or a salad or chili from Tim Horton's and all are making me feel blah... so maybe that's the Saxenda. Do you have your surgery date? Also, where do you inject? I have been doing my upper right thigh.

shiney
on 10/17/18 7:02 am

It sounds like you have achieved a lot in the past 3.5 years and I'm sure that you will conquer this hurdle too.

What time did you inject at? Give it a couple of weeks, hopefully the nausea goes away. When I first started the meds, I was on a reddit forum where people complained about much worse nausea than what you or I have experienced, so fingers and toes crossed this drug works for you.

I inject on my stomach - it's easy access to a fatty region to inject into.

I don't have a surgery date yet, I'm meeting the surgeon next, so I hope to have a date shortly after that. I'll have to ask him when I should go off the Saxenda. When my doc and I spoke about it, we decided that I would go off Saxenda for the surgery. If at any point I feel like cravings are coming back, we would talk about introducing either Saxenda/Contrave. I've been doing CBT for improving my relationship with food - I'm in a good spot now, but I don't know I will feel post surgery.

*TWH* Referral - December 2017; Orientation - March 2018; SW Assessment - May 2018; Nurse Practitioner - June 2018; Nutrition Class - June 2018; Psych - August 2018; Dietitian - August 2018; Appt. w/ Surgeon - November 2018; Surgery date - January 2019

Weight loss

Pre-surgery: 14, M1: 18, M2: 9, M3: 8, M4: 10, M5:6 , M6:9

Dreamy74
on 10/17/18 1:36 pm
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi I injected all three days I have been on it about 6 a.m, in my upper right thigh. The skin on my belly is very loose so that is why I chose my thigh and it's working well. Day 3 so far - dry mouth, bad taste in mouth, a tad bit of nausea, and I couldn't finish my salad at lunch. Plus I have been very thirsty for water (all good signs I think) except I had a headache too and thankfully a Tylenol worked for that.

shiney I am so excited for you that you will soon be getting your surgery date! My doctor also thought about Contrave but it interacted with one of the other medications I was on so hence the saxenda (plus my hypoglycemia). And the CBT sounds excellent. In all honesty, since my surgery, I sometimes have forgotten to eat! I have no cravings, it's great. Which hospital will you have your surgery at, do you know yet? I had Dr. Mary-Ann Aarts at East General which is now known as Michael Garron hospital I think.

Most Active
Recent Topics