Overwhelmed.

ravenbrenna
on 10/17/18 11:49 pm

Hey everyone.

This is my first ever post on this website! Small victories. :)

Anyway, weight loss surgery was something I had always considered in the back of my mind, but always flip-flopped on for various reasons. I have reached my tipping point though and this consideration has become much more serious. I find the more I look into things the more overwhelmed I become.

My biggest concern...I haven't been able to find clear information about what the requirements to have the surgery covered in Ontario are. Do we have to go through all the things we have tried before, but under the care of our doctor now? Am I required to try weight loss medications like Saxenda first before I can be considered?

Ninabeena
on 10/18/18 12:46 am
RNY on 11/27/19

Hi Raven

I definitely know what you mean about being overwhelmed. When I started this journey in April there was so much to take in. I had to take a deep breath and then just read everything I could find on the procedure, approval process and so on. As far as I know about the requirements are that you have to have a bmi of at least 40 or a bmi of 35 with comorbidities such as diabetes and such.

They have you fill out a questionnaire at your first appointment listing all the things that you have tried in the past whether it was weigh****chers or atkins or the vinegar diet and so on. They will ask if you had any success with them, if you lost any weight and what happened when you stopped. I'm in Hamilton and they did not require me to try any medications or do any other diets. There are a number of things you have to do though. You will have to get blood work done, gastroscopy,ecg,ultrasound, possible sleep study, see a nutritionist and a social worker.

All these tests are needed to make sure you are healthy for the surgery and that you know all about it before going through with it. It does take a while but that's a good thing so that you can do a lot of research and make sure this is what you want. Others will respond soon. I wish you luck and welcome aboard. This place is great.

ravenbrenna
on 10/18/18 10:47 am

Thank you! Just reading everything I am so glad this forum was recommended to me. Also let me tell you, I never thought I'd be excited to have a BMI of 51 lol. Have you had your surgery yet?

Okay, yeah all of this makes sense. My big concern is I know the success rate of the medications and keeping it off isn't as good as the surgery, and also have way more side effects. I didn't want to have to go through that if I didn't have to. I figured there would be a lot of things leading up to surgery though. As there should be. This shouldn't be a decision made on the fly. It's one I have struggled with in the back of my mind since my OB suggested it around 7 or 8 years ago. I am glad I didn't do it then as I was definitely not in the right mind set for it to have been successful. I feel like I am now...but do have doubts still. It's just...a lot. But there is a lot of hope too so that is good.

SKimster
on 10/18/18 4:09 am, edited 10/17/18 9:17 pm
VSG on 05/22/18

Good Morning Ravenbrenna!

First off I want to give you a virtual hug. Please try not to stress too much. We know exactly what you are going through because I'm sure the majority of the people here who went through with the surgery were stressed as well.

Congratulations for taking this next step in improving your life!!! YES....it WILL improve your life. I thought...hummhh....I'll do this and it probably won't work for me. I had a lower bmi but have several health issues that qualified me for the surgery. You have to as the above post stated go through all the things. In Canada that I've heard you don't have to try any prescribed diet pills. I was assigned to Guelph (amazing !) and went through the whole program. I stressed, cried and learned a lot! Yes it's very stressful. Be honest with every single one of the people you are assigned to. They pretty much know exactly what you are going through and are there to help. They won't use the information they learn to try to disqualify you but rather to help you to succeed. As long as you try to follow the advise to the best of your ability and all your medical tests, blood work, exams, social worker report come back ok then you will be approved. Ask for help when you need it and they will definitely help. I was beating myself up thinking that I'd failed before and that I should give myself one more chance to succeed and almost walked out of the program. Right now.....I'm 51.4lbs down from my May 22 surgery of this year. I would NOT CHANGE ANYTHING for this surgery. Reality is I DID have some bumps, pains, lots of stress but I would do it again in a heartbeat!!! BEST decision already. Even my blood pressure is hovering around 116/68. I didn't even have that as a kid. Try to remember that these surgeries have been so advanced over the years and that they are there to help us. In my case save my life and I'm sure lots of other people. So....get yourself enrolled, see all the people you are supposed to, get all your blood work, exams, scopes done (they will send your for everything you need)....THEN....make your decision. You can always cancel right up to the point of seeing the surgeon. This mindset helped me continue on and see what would happen. I don't suggest ever cancelling the surgery but giving myself the option helped me to not freak out during the process.

I wish you all the best on your road to a healthy life !!!

Kim

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

SKimster
on 10/18/18 4:12 am, edited 10/17/18 9:13 pm
VSG on 05/22/18

Oh and here is the website for Ontario. This is what the doctors use for referrals. You need your doctor to fill in the form and submit it for you using this website. I took in the paperwork and gave it to my doctor to submit. She had never done one before and had to create an account.

http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/patient-information

Below is the link for questions:

http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/our-programs/surgical- program#tabs-5

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

ravenbrenna
on 10/18/18 11:02 am

Thank you so much! I was having trouble finding legitimate websites. A lot were doctor's offices talking about it or the following plastic surgery and I just...didn't feel comfortable following those threads. It seemed like they might be biased. lol.

I am mostly excited by all this, and very hopeful, but still in a bit of a weird place about it. It seems to go against everything I felt about weight loss. That it should be done slowly and shouldn't be rushed, extreme changes are unhealthy etc...but I am at the point where the amount of weight I need to lose to be at my healthy weight (including adding 40 lbs on top of what the BMI calculator says I should be at for my height because I am a stockier person) is equal to two of my 6 year old daughter. And she is of the same build as me and is bigger than an average 6 year old. And just thinking of how hard it is to carry her around...to think I am carrying two of her in extra weight is just...insane to me.

SweetRide1
on 10/18/18 4:33 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I needed exceptional help in order to lose the weight and keep it off.

For years I thought about doing it and for years I couldn't bring myself to make the call. And then my health started to deteriorate. If it wasn't one thing, it was another and it was all weight related. It became a necessity instead of a choice although it was my choice to do this.

I had RNY in January of this year. I am down 148 lbs. All my weight related health issues have reversed and are gone! I am leading a new life and it's all because I chose to have this surgery. No regrets here other than I wish I had done it so many years ago. Best decision of my life.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

ravenbrenna
on 10/18/18 10:28 pm

No regrets here other than I wish I had done it so many years ago.

I have been thinking this pretty much non-stop since I have made the decision that I am going for it. "How different would my life have been had I gone for it sooner??"

Well, can't dwell on that lol. I am also glad to hear it is working so well for everyone! You're all so amazing!

LeslieCL
on 10/19/18 5:58 am

A year ago, I was going through the process for the surgery which I had in January of this year. I would say to myself, a year from now, I'll be able to: walk up this hill; or these stairs; fly without a seatbelt extender; walk without pain in my knees and hips; and now it's all true. I've done these things and more. I feel great physically and emotionally for the first time in years. It's takes patience and time with the process but Your day is coming. Embrace it!

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

ravenbrenna
on 10/25/18 9:14 am

I am trying to be patient but I am so excited for all of that! Lol

Most Active
Recent Topics