Update (You Really Won't Believe This!)

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/9/05 5:31 am - Windsor, Canada
Yesterday, I wrote about what has been going on with my doctor. Today I managed to put away the tears and call my doctor. She basically said that the Endocrinologist will only sign for BMI's 50 and over as being "medically necessary" (or 40 + major comorbidities) . I don't understand this since I thought 40 was the number for morbid obesity and OHIP??? but I digress. So basically, in order to qualify under his number, I will have to gain about 12 pounds and then I will qualify for surgery. Isn't that just insane? So anyway, she said that she would still refer me to this endocrinologist if I wanted it. I said without a doubt yes because I would like to discuss this matter with him, plead my case and really, DOES 12 LBS REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE? I should've made a comment to my doctor and said "So then are you recommending that I work on gaining 12 lbs?" but I didn't. I held my tongue. If I don't hear about an appointment in the next few days, I'm considering switching to my husband's doctor. This 12 lb thing absolutely blows my mind...but at the same time, it gives me hope as weird as that might sound. Stef
pokey6801
on 11/9/05 7:19 am - Elliot Lake, Canada
Try Dr. Reed in Guelp, didn't take me long at all comparitively.
PaulaR
on 11/9/05 7:26 am - Windsor, Canada
I am glad it is working out for you, keep us posted.. u should hear in a few days..
freak_4_disney
on 11/9/05 7:42 am - Southampton, Canada
Why is she making you see an Endocrinologist can't you GP just do the paperwork?
Diminishing Dawn
on 11/9/05 9:00 am - Windsor, Canada
In theory yes she could...but she is sending me to see if it is "medically necessary" or whatever. Personally I think it is alot of garbage and if things don't work out with me with this route, I'll find a new doctor. Plain and simple. Stef
Joyce J.
on 11/9/05 8:24 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hey Stef, Glad to see you are not giving up. And I agree with Lori, can your GP not send the referral to the surgeon, that is what I hear everyone else doing. Take care Keep your chin up Joyce
Diminishing Dawn
on 11/9/05 9:02 am - Windsor, Canada
That's what I hear too. I don't know if it is that she doesn't want the "responsibility" or that she's uninformed. I'm unsure what her reasoning is. At least with the endo I have hope, because I get the distinct feeling she wouldn't sign the paper without me having major comorbidities. Stef
Karen G
on 11/9/05 9:40 pm - Brampton, Canada
Demand a referral to Dr. David Starr. Don't settle for anything less. Who is this Endocrinologst and why are you being referred there? If you have to go, then educate this endocrinologst and let them know that OHIP sets the standards regarding BMI for gastric bypass. It is not his/her option to set their own BMI rules. Sorry. OHIP pays them and OHIP follows the Canada Health Act. It is equal access to appropriate medical care. Educate this Endocrinologst. Know your rights. Put your foot down and get what you want. All too often we (Canadians in general) don't fight hard enough for what we want. Good luck Karen G
Most Active
Recent Topics