Percentage of excess weight loss

heatherh
on 11/19/05 6:28 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
I have a question. Dr. Starr told me only to expect to lose 60 percent of my excess weight. Now I have read that you can lose 75-80%. Which is it? I am about 355-360 lbs (not sure as his scale only went to 300) and he said I would only get to about 230. I want to get down to 150, and even that still puts me in the "overweight" category for BMI. I know he said that people who have gastric banding surgery can lose more over time because they can keep tightening the band, but gastric bypass patients will stop losing around 18 months. I don't know. I also have a question for post-ops. He told me not to worry about losing hair and that it doesn't occur. Has this happened to anyone? I know I've read that some people have lost hair. What can you do to prevent this? I don't want to have to cut my hair short and then have to deal with growing it back out. Thanks, Heather 355ish/150 goal
Mary Lou B.
on 11/19/05 8:32 am - St. Thomas Ontario, Canada
Hi Heather! I went for my pre-op testing this past Monday in Michigan and one of the people I spoke to was the nutritionist. She said that most WLS patients lose 65-70% of their excess weight within the first year. As far as hair loss, I've been told by my surgeon and his team that it can be very minimal if you are sure to get all the protein you need in your diet post -operatively. I have to get 62 grams a day of protein after surgery to remain healthy. Hope this helps. Mary Lou
Joyce J.
on 11/19/05 8:36 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Heather, I am shocked first of all that if the Doctor does weight loss surgery that his scale only goes to 300................... My Surgeon expects me to get below my goal of 180. I started out at 356. So I don't know about that. I have personally met people that have lost lots of weight with WLS, one from 447 to 145..................sounds like more than 60% there. As for the hair loss, everyone is different. I am lucky and haven't lost any yet. If it were me I wouldn't go cutting my hair expecting it to fall out. I hope you get the answers you need. I'm sure it will help to hear from others who have seen Dr Starr Take care Joyce
SLHobbs
on 11/19/05 9:28 am - Powassan, Canada
Did Dr Starr state he only expected you to lose 60 % or did he state that 60 % weight loss is considered success in terms of WLS. I was told that 60 % loss of excess body weight was considered success. My start weight was 300 lbs (having lost 50 lbs previous to WLS), and at 5' 10 ", ideal weight would be approx 140-150 lbs (even though at my height I would still be within normal wieght at 175 lbs). So, if I were to lose 60 %, that would equate to a weight of approx 204 as my final wieght. Presently I'm about 200, and have been struggling at this wieght for a considerable length of time. So ... if I remain at this weight, which I am actually happy about - I feel great, my health has improved more than I could have imagined, and am now a size 14 (yipee), from a top size of 32. So ... at 200, I'm within 25 pounds of the upper limit of normal for my height, and approx 60 % of excess body wieght lost. Having been morbidly obese my entire life, my expectation is a healthy weight, and not a "model thin" weight. I wouldn't dwell on numbers, but rather concentrate on a healthier life. Sometimes we dwell to much on numbers, and not the end result. I could become depressed about not havng lost much during the last 5 months, but I have lost several clothing sizes (which is not reflected on the scale), and my health has continued to improve. With regards to hair loss, I found it was not a problem. Just remember that everyone is different, and what matters is the amount of effort you put into your new journey and your improved health.
Michelle H
on 11/19/05 4:17 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
I think everyone was a little off the beaten path there was 2 % to his weight loss 1 for rny and 1 for Lap band he explained the differences and she was dicussing the difference and needed to know more about the two ... me to for that matter inquiring minds want to know..lol any one have lap? i will post that above Michelle
Michelle H
on 11/19/05 4:22 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
Hey Heather me again check out the message board on this site for lap band lots of info there click on home then types of surgeries forum Michelle
Diminishing Dawn
on 11/19/05 10:58 pm - Windsor, Canada
He's being realistic. That seems to be the common amount but you have to remember, that exercise can greatly improve that. That's the difference between those who lose 75 lbs in a year, versus those who lose 75 lbs in 6 months. What you put into it, you'll get out of it. Stef
heatherh
on 11/20/05 4:00 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Thank you to everyone for your replies. I agree that I am getting caught up in the numbers. I have just been this weight for so long that the thought of only getting to 230ish lbs was freaking me out. I really want to make this work. I will be having RNY and I am glad that Dr. Starr didn't really push the LapBand surgery on me. Dr. Joffe on the other hand really wanted me to have the Duodenal Switch, which is a newer surgery in Canada and also not covered by OHIP. It's only $10,000. But at this point last year he had only done two of them. Dr. Starr explained to me that people who have the LapBand surgery can continue to lose weight longer because they can keep tightening the band and the mortality rate is 1 in 2000 as opposed to 1 in 200 for bypass. And I agree that the more you put into the success of your surgery, the more you'll benefit from it. So we are moving forward. I know as the time gets closer, I'll have more questions and concerns and I am glad that I have found this board to get my answers. You have all been a great support to me. Heather 360ish/150 goal
Wendy B
on 11/20/05 12:05 pm - Sudbury, Canada
Heather ... Dr. Joffee is right, you would be an excellent candidate for the duodenal switch. The DS offers the best long-term success rate of all WLS. But don't take my word for it, there are plenty of studies, including the ones here: http://www.duodenalswitch.com/procedure/clinical_data/clinical_data.html You can also get information from the duodenalswitch.com bulletin boards at http://www.duodenalswitch.com/openbb/index.php Or from the message boards on OH at http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/posts.html Please know that OHIP WILL PAY for the Duodenal Switch operation in Ontario and outside of Ontario. Many, many Ontarians have gone this route (surgery in the US) and are experiencing great success. I am not knocking the RNY or any other WLS ... people experience success if they "work" the tool they have been given, no matter what that tool may be. People who exercise and eat properly post-op usually achieve their goals. Their goals aren't a magical number. Success can be measured by a clothing size, improved physical mobility, dropped BP or diabetes meds, and so on. Research all your options before you go for the big cut, Heather. You won't regret knowing all the info. No surgeon has all the answers ... it's up to you to decide what is best for your body. BTW, I was set to have the RNY, but after more research switched to the DS. At five months post-op I am down 70 lbs, and am 30 lbs away from goal. I have a magnificent quality of life in terms of eating. There is NOTHING I cannot eat. Only now I try to make better food choices because I don't want to defeat the purpose of my beautiful weight loss tool. Sorry for babbling. Hope this helps. Wendy
heatherh
on 11/20/05 12:16 pm - Niagara Falls, Canada
Wendy, forgive me because this may be in the information on the sites you listed, but when did this surgery become covered by OHIP? When I saw Dr. Joffe last year it cost $10,000. I want to clarify, this is the surgery that is a combination of the bypass and LapBand? Thanks. And congratulations on your weight loss. That is incredible. Heather
Most Active
Recent Topics