OT:Duct tape, butter, and toilet seats

Monica B.
on 3/23/11 8:32 pm - Emery, SD
Just wanted to share some secrets to a long, mostly (yes) marriage.
Before we got married hubby and I made a promise to each other. He would put down the toilet seat and I would keep the butter out of frig so it would stay soft. This has worked well for us on both sides.
Duct tape can fix anything. I never had much experience as a young women with duct tape and fixing things. Hubby swears by it and I am a believer now after 42 yrs of duct tape fixer magic. I used duct tape to repair my Northern Nights down blanket. After sewing and sewing many little rips and holes (I will not throw this great expensive huge blanket out, too comfy) I gave up and began repairing with duct tape. A new and sturdy and colorful patch quilt has emerged. Using various colors of duct tape make it so. Hubby is so proud of me for finally giving way to the duct tape side of life. My use affirms his belief and makes him feel good.
Please share your "little, but major" marriage life lessons, we all could learn from each other.
Hugs, Monica

George T.
on 3/23/11 8:50 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
I have heard a couple of different ways of saying it, but..

"Happy Spouse, Happy House"

or

"Happy Wife, Happy Life"

Makes it a lot easier for me. 

My wife has learned a valuable lesson when cooking for me.  There is no such thing as too much vanilla.

Whenever I go to the kitchen to get a drink, I always refresh hers.  (Otherwise, when I return to the room, she will send me back out any way.  LOL)

You can not compliment the cook too much for ANY meal prepared.  This goes either way, her to me, or me to her.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!                   

susandoeshair
on 3/23/11 9:44 pm - Alexander, AR
Monica, what a wonderful topic!!

This weekend marks 29 years together, with our wedding anniversary in Sept. Ling marriage by today's standards, right?

We have always treated each other with respect and manners. Like George, we ask each other if they want anything when we're headed to the kitchen, call EVERY day before we leave work to see if the other wants/needs anything, and to be sure to say "I love you" before hanging up. You never know when it could be the last time it's heard.
We allow each other their own space and encourage new ideas and ventures. It's not really work, it's just caring about each other

Susan

grammylew
on 3/23/11 9:50 pm - Jacksonville, NC
Hmm, important things I have learned in my 45 year marriage.
My DH was in the Navy when we married. We learned we got along very well when he was out to sea. We discovered early on that it was easier to say good-bye to someone you were angry with. Once we recognized this, we made a point of parting on loving terms.
One BIG thing we have learned is that we each need our own computer. Trying to share one did not work.
In the beginning if you say "oh honey, you stay there I'll get it for you", he will never get up and get anything for himself again. If you start out cleaning up after him, you will always clean up after him.
My kids say I created my own monster and they are right. But, in my defense, I was raised in the era where the husband went to work and the wife did everything else.
Oh, and tape will remove those pesky nearly invisable cactus spines
from your hand. That tacky stuff that will hold stuff up can also be used to clean pencil marks off walls. And letting a thick mix of
baking soda and water sit on really burned on stuff in a pan, will make it easier to get clean.

Grammylew in Jax

Monica B.
on 3/23/11 10:01 pm - Emery, SD
Great tips, use baking soda alot. Found out how lovely it makes a bath when my 3 kids had the chix pox.
I love Windex, it cleans everything well with minimal cost and effort. Tried everything to get the coffee stains out of the coffee pot with no success. Tried windex and poof they were gone.

poegirl100
on 3/24/11 3:49 am - Cibolo, TX
Oh, Grammylew, my mother used to tell me the same thing!  She said, "Start out the way you mean to go on" and she was so right.  My daddy, bless his heart, couldn't do a darn thing for himself--or so he would have had us believe.  I watched all that growing up, and when I married, I tried to do things a little differently.  I still take care of my husband, but I let him do a few things around the house on his own.  At least he can wash dishes and wash clothes!  LOL! 

And you couldn't be more right about the 2 computers! 

Vickie

Vickie 

Nancy H.
on 3/23/11 9:54 pm - Traverse City, MI
Monica, my favorite fixit tools, duct tape & gorilla glue!!!. Next month will be 39 years together. I only knew him 10 weeks when we got married.
My best advice, respect each other, & encourage each other. The hardest time was when we retired. I love spending time together. I also like my time alone. He goes fishing for long weekends a few times a year & also hunting. This is the best time of my life!
Nan
poegirl100
on 3/24/11 3:45 am - Cibolo, TX
Nan,

Us, too!  Met in March, married in May.  Everyone thought I must be pregnant.  (I was not.)  Sometimes you just know. 

Vickie

Vickie 

Nancy H.
on 3/24/11 5:14 am - Traverse City, MI
My Mother-in-law told everyone I was PG. Long one, 18 mos. later I had my first!
poegirl100
on 3/24/11 5:47 am - Cibolo, TX
Tee hee!  That's funny now.  Bet you were made at your MIL back then! 

BTW, I had my first 12 months later. 

Vickie 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 386 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1187 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1195 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1132 views