Feelings and Emotional Eating

Laureen S.
on 3/31/11 8:39 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Good Morning Friends,

What a great beginning to something that while I am not sure it will help, is good to know that we all face the same struggles within daily living and so I am dedicating today's post to all of us who are "coming out of the closet" to talk candidly about the things that have stumped our successful journey.  We CAN and WILL beat back the demons that drag at our heels.

I think, at least for me, I need to keep a daily inventory of what I am doing and feeling each time I pick up or want to eat something. . .  yesterday was an ok day, but I did see some things that were me grazing just because I wanted to have the good taste of something.  I had a quarter of a chocolate cookie, now mind you I am not beating up on myself for that cookie piece, but it is just like me saying oh I'll just have a glass of wine with my dinner today, it is not a good place for me to be, it creates feelings of guilt and the "f it's". . .  after dinner my snack was 3 figs and a handful of almonds, not bad, but still feeling like I should not have had it. . .  I get confused at times?  Can any of you relate to that?

Ok, thanks for everyone's participation on this thread, I look forward to reading about whatever is going on within your daily struggles with food today.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

ceeidee
on 3/31/11 9:23 pm
Hi Laureen,

I LOVED!!!!! what you and everybody had to say yesterday. I was able to read it around 8 pm or so and didn't have the time or frankly enough umph to post but I really wanted to. Same for today. I am heading to work early and staying late.
I just want to tell you and everyone that I appreciate being able to talk about this with you if I want, and I do want.

This is a great idea and I am so glad I'm not alone...I thought I was.......

I'll be back, maybe not posting everyday but I will read everyday and post as much as I am able.

Thanks, Laureen
Thanks all of you brave and caring  people,
Cheryl

We never touch people so lightly we do not leave a trace.
                                                                                                 Peggy Tabor Millin

Laureen S.
on 3/31/11 11:45 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Cheryl,

In part, something you recently posted, along with several others, as well as reading about someone recently who had regained all their weight, is what made me think of doing this, because I believe when we hide, which many of us did throughout our lives, that is the place where we lose ground in a big way, guilt, remorse, fear are culprits that need to have light shed upon them, because in the light of day, when we find that we are not alone, we find new strength and that is the purpose of this. 

As for what time of day you read, feel free to post, or not, I will always read, though I will not necessarily always respond, as time allows I will and my reponses will be about my own experiences as they relate to the person I am responding to, or my thoughts, because I certainly have nothing more or less than anyone else here in the way of knowledge, but I do have a desire to help others and myself to be comfortable with where I am in this moment, as yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery and today is it's own gift and why it's called the present. . .

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

Debbiejean
on 3/31/11 10:03 pm - Shelbyville, MI
I think our daily struggles with food will be there every day of our lives.
We can be mindful of our eating and watch our portions but really want to eat regular foods and not feel deprived of something I want. I want to be able to live normally, make good food choices and if I treat myself, cut back the next day like thin people do. I have fat genes and they are still there.

Sigh...I don't think I'll ever be a size 4/6 again but I'm aiming for 8/10 or even just stay at size 12 but for some reason 8/10's is my goal. I will get there. I'm a curvy gal but I want to eat and be happy and not exercise for 3 hours a day...which is what I had to do to be a 4/6.

I'm learning, embracing Mindful Eating, paying attention and last night I ate a handful of M&M's. Is it' going to make me fat? Nope but today I'm watching it and no treats for me today. I can limit myself on my treats and I'm sitting here drinking my water and took some vitamins while I'm posting this.

Thanks for the post Laureen. We are normal. We are not alone and I do have a bariatric support group meeting tomorrow. I love my group and most of us are long termers and we have gained. We have a handle on it and we give each other support.

No way are any of us failures. We are living life and we do the best we can.
Yep, daily struggles with food...that will be with us forever and that is not going away. But we can be aware of our pitfalls. Ain't no way I'm keeping potato chips in my house! LOL Hugs Debbie
Laureen S.
on 3/31/11 11:53 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Debbie,

I had to laugh when you spoke of size 4/6, I think I'd look like a concentration camp person at that size, I only ever made it to a 10/12 and I must say at a 12, I was happy, though I did want to be an 8/10 when I began my journey.  I will take the 12, 165 lbs, is my number that I was finding acceptance and felt good at.

I, too, have my support group tomorrow. . .  we have an early day because we are having our first quarterly meeting from the place that has allowed us to use their facility for the past 3 years, finally support from the administration!!!  but that meeting is at 9 and so we are having an early breakfast meeting to discuss what to bring up at the quarterly meeting, following that our support group, which meets at 11 a.m., so tomorrow will be a long day, but I always come away reinvigorated.

Normal is a good thing, but normal is also a very grey area, as one person's normal is another person's crazy. . .

Hugs, L

Debbiejean
on 4/1/11 12:10 am - Shelbyville, MI
Okay Laureen but I say we are normal! LOL
Laureen S.
on 4/1/11 12:16 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Thanks Debbie, I like someone who will cosign my madness (lol). . .

annette R.
on 3/31/11 10:08 pm - ithaca, NY
Sweet Laureen,

Getting these demons out in the open can't hurt. Thanks for this good idea.

After reading the responses last night, I had loads of stuff to share. Too tired to type though.

This morning there is too much mental trash happening and I need to sort things out before boring you with details.

A special thanks to Marcy for lending an ear and giving me time to vent so early in the day.

What would we do without our friends? End up in a padded room wearing a huggy jacket.

Kisses
Annette
 Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

Laureen S.
on 3/31/11 11:54 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Nettie,

Looking forward to reading about your mental trash and input into this. . .  hey, I guess a huggy jacket is one way for self love (lol). . .

Hugs, Lil Sis

Candygirl
on 4/1/11 12:44 am - Somewhere in, NY
My immediate thought about the huggy jacket?   

"At least it'll keep me warm!!!!"

But then, I do have a rather warped sense of humor....

Candy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 392 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1196 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1205 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1136 views