Feelings as they related to Emotional Eating - Living in the Solution

Laureen S.
on 4/5/11 12:12 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Feeling more balanced today, even with cloudy grey skies that pour out huge amounts of rain and temps dropping back down, making it seem as though Spring will not come, but Summer and no time for adjusting. . .

How the weather affects us.  Spring gives way to hope, remember those days when we yo-yoed. . .  it was gotta get ready for swimsuit season, which gave way to busy times and for me, usually when I lost some weight, then came shorter and shorter days and cravings for what is now referred to as comfort food, Fall led into holiday season and winter doldrums and the weight regain and diets begun, some success, but ultimate failure which led to WLS and now "normal" life cycles once more, but with a tool that can help me from getting too lost, if I eat mindfully and exercise diligently, which I have not done a lot of lately. . .  no beat up here, just facts and how the weather can also be a contributing factor, because with grey, gloomy weather, comfort eating can be a source of my problem, if I allow it. . . 

I am making better choices thanks to journaling here with all of you, staying honest and sharing my thoughts. . .  Thanks for listening, hope it is sunny where you are and if not, it might be tomorrow and things seem better when it is brighter outside. . .

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

shelto1946
on 4/5/11 3:39 am
Laureen,

Always good to read your posts.  I too am taking it a day at a time and working on eating mindfully and watching portions,etc.   Due to persistent knee pain I finally went to the doctor and had an MRI, which revealed that I have a torn meniscus and a Baker's cyst which may explain the persistent pain.  Yesterday I went to my first physical therapy session, and will do that now for a month.  PT said okay to bicycle ride, so I hope the increased exercise plus mindful eating will start to show results. 

I was hoping so much to possibly meet you this spring when I came to NJ, but it turns out I am taking the bus down for Passover next week because for one person it is cheaper than driving round trip, so I have no way of getting down to where you live.  Maybe next trip.  Meanwhile, I can look forward to you sharing your experience, strength, and hope.  It always helps me!

Be well,

Judy G. from Waltham, MA (aka Shelto1946)
Connie D.
on 4/5/11 5:29 am
Hi Laureen....I am certainly doing better as the weather is warming up. Eating better and walking more.

Need to do better with the journaling my food again!!

Hugs....connie d
Debbiejean
on 4/5/11 10:17 pm - Shelbyville, MI
Laureen, it is so true about weather and we need sunshine.
My internist ordered me to not put on any sunscreen and sit out in the sun for 20 minutes every day there is sunshine...LOL...we live in Michigan but I do follow his orders for sunshine with no sunscreen, helps the vitamin D better than any vitamins. Now I don't sit out in the hottest part of the day in the summer but sunshine is wonderful!

I'm too back on track with Mindful Eating and just living life. It's nice not to freak out about food, getting a grip if I do eat sweets and knowing my trigger foods.

I love posting about our feelings with food. I will say it was hard during the time my ex MIL died and I could not go to the funeral and visitation. All those old bad memories of dealing with the ex and how he controlled me and belittled me came flashing back...all I wanted was to sooth myself with food and this time I didn't do that. I cried a lot. Even cried at my Bariatric Support Group telling about my feelings. It was hard, had to pull myself together, let others speak and when I was able to talk people understood. Finally that chapter in my life is closed but I'm still dealing with my feelings and work through them.

On the other hand Pat in another posting talked about Lenten Services and they were going to have pasta for dinner after wards. We really need to allow ourselves to socialize especially when food is around and not freak. Now some people just can't handle pasta, it might not settle well in the pouch or pasta maybe their trigger food. It's time for us to be pro-active and socialize even if we have to take our food with us. Especially newbies who are on mushies food stages. Don't deprive yourself of any type of fellowship. Just take the food with you. You don't even have to explain to others about WLS, just tell them your watching your sugar or now another thing people have to deal with is gluten foods.

Thanks Laureen for posting. Today I'm going to gym after work, drove myself today. Now I just have to decide to go to spin class or work out in the water! Hugs Debbie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 392 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1196 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1205 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1136 views