Whoa! What happened?

poegirl100
on 5/7/11 11:48 am - Cibolo, TX
Wow, I feel like I just got run over by a Mack truck!  I had quite the food experience this afternoon.  Today was that big annual Board meeting at the lake.  So I had bought coffee and cookies for the meeting.  It was cool.  I was doing fine.  Then our guest speaker arrived.  He's a realtor, and he and his wife brought so much food!  They brought a big 3-layer cake with buttercream icing, cokes, fruit trays, etc.  It was totally unexpected.

Well, I was handling it okay during the meeting.  Never touched a bite of cake or a cookie.  I ate a couple of plain strawberries and a couple of apple slices off the fruit tray, and I drank my water.  Doin' good, right?

Then after the meeting, I went a little bonkers in the head.  I got SO sad and SO depressed!  I just wanted to curl up and hide under the covers.  I think I was sad because I couldn't eat that damn cake!  I mean, I had a PHYSICAL reaction to saying "no" to that sugar.  Is that crazy or what?

I got home and I still couldn't shake it.  I just felt like I was dying or something.  I finally broke a couple of egg whites into the mixer and beat up some meringue with splenda and ate about half of that!  Oh, ladies, I am sick in the head!  What IS it about SUGAR that makes me into a raving lunatic?  If I never ate another bite of sugar in my life, I would still be just fine, right?  Better than fine.  Nobody needs sugar to live.  So why does it do such a number on me?

Well, that's all there is to my story, but I had to tell it to someone.  Just call me Crazy Vickie! 

Vickie 

carlak
on 5/7/11 2:53 pm - Bradenton, FL
OMG VICKIE,
I went thru the same thing today at work. I sawa coconut cake at work and it was calling my name!!!!!! I look at it all afternoon or evening and I didnt even touch it!!!!!. I was salavating over it!!!!!! I ate 3 graham carackers instead!!!!! I didnt loose this regain of 30 pounds to eat that cake!!!!! you did good!!!!! We dont need that sugar to survive any more!!!!! ya know I just look at all that food and shake my head now. I dont even eat any of it any more just look and walk away. Carla Food doesnt even phase me anymore.
image hosting site

poegirl100
on 5/7/11 10:41 pm - Cibolo, TX
Oh, Carla, thank you!  You make me feel less crazy!  LOL!  Good for you for not touching that cake! 

I don't have much trouble with walking away from most junk food.  I haven't really wanted to eat chips or salty snacks.  But Gosh, that sweet stuff really can "call your name", can't it?  It made me a little crazy last night.  But I have to learn to deal with social situations, don't I?  Family, friends and co-workers are all still going to eat cake.  I just have to tell myself "no" and get over it!

Vickie 

lightswitch
on 5/7/11 10:09 pm

Before I had wls, I loved sugary treats.  In fact, most of my problem came from eating candy and ice cream.  After surgery, I found out that the only sweet thing I could eat was a little cream of wheat with a little splenda.  All the other sweetners made me ill.  But, I stiill wanted sugar and one day, I took a bite of cookie.  After the first bite, nothing happened, so I ate two more bites and threw the rest away.  Within ten minutes, I was curled up in bed with the worse feeling I had ever had.  For those three bites of cookie, I threw up until I thought I was going to do damage to my pouch.  Every great once in a while, I might take a little taste of something sweet, but I know, and I'm glad, that if I eat too much of it, I will be miserable.  Hopefully, you will be like me and the sugar will make you so sick you won't be able to eat it. 

poegirl100
on 5/7/11 10:35 pm - Cibolo, TX
Oh, Jeannie, I know what you mean.  My problem was always Cokes, chocolate and ice cream.  I lived on sugar.  I haven't wanted any since surgery, which is a good thing, but I sure did want that cake yesterday!  I could SMELL it.  Damn it all.  I want that Sugar Monster to go away and leave me alone!

I haven't experienced dumping syndrome yet.  Sometimes I wonder about it: Maybe I should test the waters?  Then I think, "No!"  What if I don't dump?  Then I've learned a bad thing.  I think, for me right now, the best course of action is just to avoid all sugar.  I just wasn't expecting the psychological reaction I had.  It was crazy.

Vickie 

annette R.
on 5/8/11 1:29 am - ithaca, NY
Vickie,

You are NOT crazy, just human. There are tons of things we don't actually need, but darn it, we want those things.

Don't test the waters and see if you dump. If you do, it is pure hell. If you don't, think how that sweet monster will haunt you. Monster 1
For hubby's birthday, oldest daughter sent him extraordinary, chocolate covered strawberries. Those suckers were a sight to behold. I couldn't stand thinking about them, got mad, got sad, then ordered them OUT of this house.

It was mental and physical but especially frustrating to think that chocolate could have so much power.

Hang in there.
Kisses
Annette

Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

poegirl100
on 5/8/11 1:53 am - Cibolo, TX
OMG, Annette!  Chocolate covered strawberries would be such a temptation!  I'm so proud of you for getting them out of the house!  Out of sight, out of mind.  As long as I don't have to see it (or smell it), I'm fine. 

I think you are right about the sugar monster!  I love that little monster you sent me.  I wish I could print it off and stick it on the refrigerator!

Thanks, hon!  I appreciate the support!

Vickie 

Mag (Marguerite) P.
on 5/8/11 8:37 am - Green Valley, AZ
Hi Vickie,  I'm sorry you went through the head hunger. You did a wonderful job of making good choices. I went overboard on carbs when my doctor said to eat anything to get more calories in. Bad, bad idea for me. I'm back on low carbs and better food, but all the bad foods I loved before surgery are in my head all the time. Keep being strong. I'm so proud of you!!! also, I learned I don't dump. Really bad news for me.. Wish I didn't know that. You are best not to know or feel the dumping which I hear is awful.  Take care.  Hugs   Mag

poegirl100
on 5/8/11 8:47 am - Cibolo, TX
Oh, Mag!  "Head Hunger"  What a terrific way to phrase it!  That's exactly what I had. 

I'm sorry about the carb cravings coming back on you again.  One of my friends told me once, "Carbs are the work of the devil!"  I think she is right! 

How on earth can we get these damn cravings out of our heads?  My body is very happy on this high protein, low carb, low fat diet.  My body is thrilled with me for doing this.  But my head . . . that's another matter all together! 

Maybe we can hire an exorcist???  LOL!

P.S.  When I start craving a "dessert", I eat about a half a banana with a spoon of peanut butter.  It usually does the trick.

Vickie 

obxlady
on 5/8/11 10:58 am
Oh Vickie, I'm glad to know that somebody else does the 'peanut butter/banana' treat.  It satisfies my sweet tooth needs and very tasty at the same time.  To nights sweets is going to be a protein smoothie made by my DH using strawberries and bananas.  YUM. 

Best of luck in your future cravings.  I'm 2 years out now and it does get more challenging although it's very "doable" with determination!!  Just praying I keep my determination forever!!

Cindy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 392 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1196 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1205 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1136 views