Reconstructive surgery

hondar
on 6/11/11 10:29 am
Hello everyone.  This is my first time on this board...I didn't know it existed!  I've been reading the posts and think it's great.  I ame 59 years old had my RNY mid January 2011 and have done fantastic.  No problems at all and great weight loss.

This probably sounds crazy, but I am already wondering if reconstructive surgery is something I should be saving for and thinking about.  Specifically my significantly drooped breasts (almost to my waist...seriously) and my excess skin on my tummy.  I'm very fortunate that I haven't noticed a lot of excees skin elsewhere and even the tummy isn't TOO bad.

When I think about reconstructive surgery I wonder if I am too old?  Now I know I'm not technically too old for the surgery, but is it dumb to get additional major surgery like this so "late" in life?  I wouldn't think twice about it if I were in my 20s or even 30s, but I will be in my 60s!

In addition to the RNY, I have had two knee replacements and one knee replacement revision since 2005 and basically i'm tired of surgery and the pain.  I'm also not the type of person who would ever consider a face-lift or anything...even bo-tox!  So why am I thinking about reconstructive surgery for areas nobody except my husband will ever see?  (BTW he's thrilled w/my new look....even w/droopy breasts and excess tummy skin.)

Just wondered if anyone else has thought about or had this type of surgery after RNY.

Judy G.
on 6/11/11 11:43 am - Galion, OH

Hello and WELCOME to OFF!!!! CONGRATS also on your new life!!!

As for your question on having reconstructive surgery...I haven't had any at all and I do not plan on having it done either. I lost about 160lbs since RNY in 2006. I have no problems with anything "bothering" me so I figure I do not need to have it done. I do have "bat wings" on the arms and that does bother me but I would never have surgery on them. As for my stomach area, no rashes at all so I guess I would be turned down? But again not planning on that surgery either. I am happy where I am at and so is my boyfriend. So I guess its a matter of IF you really need to have it done or want it done and can afford it if insurance doesn't cover it. I am sure others will be answering you on this as many have had this surgery.

Hope to see you back here and keep us posted!!!

HUGS

susandoeshair
on 6/11/11 11:11 pm - Alexander, AR
Good morning, and welcome!

What you're saying doesn't sound crazy at all. In fact, you sound just like a lot of us!

When I had my RNY almost 5 years ago, all I wanted was to lose weight. I didn't have any desire to spend the money to have plastics done, after all, who would see me without clothes?? So, when I'd lost 110 lbs and had excess skin, I hid it with 3/4 sleeve tops and "supportive undergarments" to contain the skin around my middle.....doing my best to hide the muffin top of skin that hung over the top of my pants.

Buying clothes was difficult. What fit in the thighs and seat was too small for my waist because of the skin. Even in the hottest weather, I would wear tank tops with lightweight sweaters over them to hide the batwings.

Finally, I came to the realization that I didn't want to look at myself in the mirror and see that anymore. You see, when I looked in the mirror, I didn't see myself as a size 4-6, all I could see was the folds of hanging, saggy skin. So, in January I had a tummy tuck with muscle tightening and my arms done. FINALLY, finally, I look in the mirror every day and see the accomplishments I have achieved through all my hard work over the last few years. I now see and feel the body that I never had as an obese child, teen and adult.

Not only do I finally look "normal", but I feel normal. I feel like the person that obesity robbed me of all of those years.

Insurance didn't (never even checked, no point) cover the cost of the surgery which totaled about $9500. Honestly, it's the best money I have EVER spent, and I think I'd sell my soul if I had to to do it again!

Good luck in your journey!

Susan

Just_Jane
on 6/11/11 11:33 pm - Plymouth, MI
When I was going through the wls process I was cautioned to wait a year after stabilizing my weight to consider plastics.  I know folks are pushing that envelope now, and I think they may be having some unnecessary work done.

As I started the quick loss phase, I was dismayed at the low-hanging tube socks where smallish boobs used to be.  My arm pits turned into arm-pleats, I had to invest in an electric shaver to navigate them.  The 'tocks had to be carefullu arranged for my morning constitutional and my thighs were attempting cankle status.   This became a way of life, I finally stopped laughing at the various slapping sounds a solo shower produced.

And then, a slow, amazing thing began to happen.  As my new, improved, body came to terms with gravity, the socks shortened to anklets and then to footies.  The thigh skin stopped moving independently in the swimming pool and the pits were much more visible.  The panni and the belly pulled up a little as well.  The bat wings now fit better into the long sleeves I use to restrict flight.  Oh, the multiple chins that went through sudden deflation have gradually snugged up into the normal throat of a old lady (60 now). 

The firming had nothing to do with exercise or massage and my skin wasn't in good shape going in, I had been a smoker as well. It took more than a year after my weight was stable to even  begin to realize a change.

Based on fear, finances and the results I have seen on others, I am limiting my plastics to the panni that my insurance will cover.  I was trying to avoid that as well, but the skin is continuing to break down underneath and making me uncomfortable.

I hope this helps!

Candygirl
on 6/11/11 11:53 pm - Somewhere in, NY
hondar

I lost 114 lbs, stabilized at 110 lost and was lucky not to have many skin problems.  About 6 months after reaching goal, I had my upper eyelids lifted because the loss of fat in my face had caused them to sag over my eyelashes and cause me a lot of vision problems.  That was 4 years ago, and they're starting to sag again, but I'm thinking it's an age thing at this point (I'm 61) and I can live with that.

At the same time I had the eyes done I opted for a breast reduction, although at that point there wasn't much to reduce.  My formerly 46 DDD's were literally  crawling into the waitsband of my slacks.  Rashes, infections, were all worse than prior to surgery.  I documented the heck out of both, provided pictures, and was lucky enough to have my insurance cover almost everything.  The surgeon wanted to put in implants (to give you a nice solid "D" cup!) but I wanted as little chance of problems as possible, so I declined.  Ended up with a nice 36C.  (Last time I had a 36C I was 15 and weighed 120 lbs....).  I do have loose skin in my belly and thighs, but I'll live with it.  It doesn't cause any problems, although it makes me a size 12 pants instead of probably a size 8-10 (from a size 26).  The breasts are fine, although they're not as perky as three years ago due to loss of elasticity in my skin due to age and former obesity.  I can live with that.

I'd do both again.  Anything else?  Not for me.  No more surgeries unless it's a medical necessity.

Hope the info you get from this board helps.  Welcome.

Candy

hondar
on 6/12/11 1:01 am
Wow!  What great information!  Thank you so much.  I never even thought that some of this might resolve itself over time.

You guys have really helped me bring things into perspective.  I suspect I will know what to do when the time comes....if it is too uncomfortable physically I will probably go forward.  If not, I've just happy to be able to walk and exercise and wear "normal" clothes again.

Karen S.
on 6/12/11 2:46 am - Wailuku, HI
Aloha and welcome to the best WLS forum of them all!!

It is wonderful that you are doing so great on your adventure, and the future will bring you many "wow" moments when you can't believe you fit in a certain chair, or can jump up from the floor like a cat...ha.....or just easily get into and out of a car.

As for reconstructive surgery, I think everyone has to evaluate their appearance and decide whether they can live with what they see. I saw a tall (5'11") skinny body with lots of loose skin hanging where it used to be firm. After after 3 years, I chose to have the panniculectomy (tummy tuck). My insurance covered one reconstructive surgery. I used to have to lift my belly to wash in the shower. The operation was easy and I had a friend help me with the recovery. Now, my belly is flat as a pancake, and has only a slight hipbone to hipbone scar....I call it my "belly chain."

You have my support in anything you choose to do.....and I wish you the best possible results.

Aloha nui loa,

Maui Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 375 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1173 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1183 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1121 views