Warning: Karen's Meanderings. . .

karen C.
on 12/9/11 9:44 pm - Kennewick, WA

Those of you that know me know that I am anything but brief even when I am trying to be. As I've waited anxiously this past week to hear medical results from several friends on this board I have gone "inward" and done some deep thinking. I've known for a long time that this Over Fifty Forum was special in ways beyond WLS support. I learn so much by reading posts from others. I gain courage to start again when I have tripped myself up.I revel in the stories of newly "restructured" friends as they start to see the results that they could not achieve in many years of trying.

However, I now realize that I get daily examples of courage from those of you  who have or are now facing medical challenges. I won't name names as there are way too many of you. I guess as we get older we are going to have to deal with cancer, ulcers, heart disease, digestive problems, bad arthritis and many other issues. The way that you all handle those issues as they come up sets such a courageous example for all of us. We're here to support you in any way you can. But YOU give us the example that will help us when we face a similar issue. And we WILL if we haven't at some time in our lives. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives with me.

Karen C

lightswitch
on 12/10/11 1:10 am

Karen,

What a great way to start this final stretch into the holiday.  I, like you, am amazed at our sisters' courage.  I cannot believe the difficulties that so many of you face and are able to keep on keeping on.  And, I am amazed that when we are having these harsh, harsh times of sickness, broken hearts, destroyed feelings, and, of course, fear of failure, we have one place where we can come and with the stroke of our fingers and often through tears we are able to share our lives with our sisters.  When I read where one or more are being hurt by your families and are typing while crying, I remember the time when my daughter in her drugged up state came and took our Mathew.  I remember how my heart was broken and how I couldn't sleep for fear and it was all of your sound words and your reminding me that above all, she is his mother and she loves him so she will not hurt him and you were right.  She picked up her life and over time came home to me with not just my Mathew but the baby girl that was growing in her belly.  Then, when my pouch ulcerated and medical community kept saying I was doing it to myself, and I finally stopped coming here because no one, I thought, understood, I still read your posts.  And some days, I would open up the message board and would have messages from one or two of you and that kept me going until the doctor finally found and fixed me.

Now, I am healthy and like everyone else, I am struggling to keep my weight where I feel good but now I read over and over about the problems that many of you are having.  I held my breath waiting for cancer tests results and then for some the type of treatment, which I researched to make sure that the docs were on the right track.  I see where daughters are hurting mothers and people are waiting on new jobs and I cam so relieved when everyone's lives begin to work and I say, yeah.

This has become, for me, a place of constantcy (I'm sure that is misspelled.  A PhD in English and if I don't have spellcheck, I'm screwed) for all of us.  

Thanks for posting this and giving me time to think about how this place has help keep us mentally and physically together. 

seasheleyes
on 12/10/11 2:32 am - Manteca, CA
Karen- is it any wonder that I LOVE you? There are some great models here for dealing with adversity. Adversity is truly the opportunity for growth - of course no one REALLY wants to grow that much! Haha!
Julia
Judy G.
on 12/10/11 7:59 am - Galion, OH

Karen...all I can say to your post is AMEN!!!! I have been through alot and most of you were all here for me!!! And still are!!! I do not know some times what I would do without you all here for me!!!!

HUGS

Connie D.
on 12/10/11 8:39 am
Karen thank you so much for the beautiful words.
We do have a special bond here on OFF. We try our best to always be here for what ever comes our way.
I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for the love and support from you and so many here on this very unique site.
We will all have our good times, sad times and painful ones as well. Together we will get through it !!

Much love and many hugs to you my friend...connie d
poegirl100
on 12/10/11 9:39 am - Cibolo, TX
Karen,

Thank you for being my friend and setting a good example for me and others here on OFF.  I learn much from reading your posts and I'm always grateful for the insights you share.  There is so much wisdom here on OFF.  I don't know how I would have made it through the last 10 months without all of my OFF sistas!  I hope that I am able to give at least a little something of my own back to this wonderful community.

Vic
Eileen Briesch
on 12/10/11 4:06 pm - Evansville, IN
Karen;
I agree with all you've said. I know I couldn't have gotten through the past two years without the support of my OFF sisters and brothers. I haven't had the health challenges the others have had, but there have financial and career challenges.

Oh, yes, I have my health challenges with arthritis (which seems to get worse every day; now it's in my hands). But I don't have cancer. And that is a victory in itself. Every time I pass one of those yearly tests, I celebrate.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Jo W.
on 12/10/11 9:27 pm - Owosso, MI
i agree with your post!  Thank you for expressing my thoughts!
KBates
on 12/12/11 2:25 pm - WA
Karen - Great to talk to you tonite -- sorry I kept you up so late! So far, so good, and glad to have your reinforcement that everything is going okay!

Kathey B
karen C.
on 12/12/11 9:55 pm, edited 12/12/11 10:33 pm - Kennewick, WA
Hooray! You made it. Now come on and introduce yourself. The "What's New" thread appears every morning and is a good way to start to get to know some wonderful people and to let them know a bit about you. I got up at 4am. Getting the grand daughters' room ready for them when they arrive with us on Friday. Nothing gets done AFTER they arrive. I remember how we could talk all night and still write volumous notes when we were supposed to be writing essays in Jensen's class!

Karen C

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 375 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1172 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1183 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1119 views