What's up with you on Tuesday?

karen C.
on 1/2/12 7:10 pm - Kennewick, WA
I'll be back to post in a few minutes!

Karen C

karen C.
on 1/2/12 7:31 pm, edited 1/2/12 7:32 pm - Kennewick, WA

Happy new year everyone! I've been in a "purging" mode the past few days. NOT my intestinal system, but my "paper and household" system. Shredding about 8 yrs of duplicate checks and old papers from 10 or more years ago. I always fear that just as soon as I do that I will have a NEED for something. If desperate for a copy of a check I can pay the bank for one. I have all of the check registers. Also putting a lot of odds and ends on Craigs List like extra baby/pet gates, collectible glassware, small household things like a beautiful soup tureen that I love but NEVER use! I am putting 'get rid of" prices on them so hopefully I won't have to donate everything. When I have a yard sale my policy it once out of the house NOT to bring it back in. However, this stuff is still in the house. . .

Been busy. We bought an old small armoire, not antique but with cute potential. Spent the weekend with Mike redoing it and it turned out great. I'll put a pic on my facebook page if you'd like to see it.

May go see "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" with Mike. About 2 or 3 times a year we find a movie that we both want to see. It has to have a lot of action for him. I've watched him watching war movie after war movie for 40 years. He's a gentle, non violent man so how can he actually enjoy all of that killing and gore? Must be a guy thing. He spent 6 yrs in National Guard but never in a combat zone. Maybe that's it. I can't stand it and go find something else to do. Just got the noisy, rambunctious grandkids out of the house and headed home and he tunes in some marathon war drama. I still have a hard time watch anything about VietNam. Enough of that.

Today I'll see about getting a mirror cut for the front of the door of the armoire and it will be finished.

It turned colder yesterday after a few pretty mild days. No snow here yet other than a dusting a few weeks ago.  Last year we had a late hard frost at the end of Feb that killed one of my trees. Hope we don't have a repeat.

I'm amazed at how much the increase in my restless legs med has improved my evenings and night time. Jury is still out on the Ambien. I really need something for arthritic pain. I take Naproxen sparingly and it helps so much but I fear the side effects like ulcers. I need to get some over the counter pill to go with it that will help coat my stomach. Anyone have a suggestion?

Even if I don't find the time to post I read the forum daily and think about people with new jobs, moves to a different area, health issues, family issues  and I hope for positive outcomes. I guess this is just life. Hills, valleys, and sometimes if we're lucky just a nice flat path to give us time to catch our breath and enjoy the scenery. Don't forget to stop along the way to appreciate what you have. Life, like getting older, certainly isn't for sissies!

I  need to get back to bed. I head back to my subbing job tomorrow. I look forward to spending some time with these special needs kids that I work with. I'll check back in later. What have you been up to?

Karen C

Monica B.
on 1/2/12 8:13 pm - Emery, SD
Morning Karen and all to follow. Sober 428 days and so proud of me.
Your furniture project looks beautiful, nice cabinet. Always enjoyed refinishing furniture and making it live again in our home.
I am really liking Monica on Cymbalta. I had 5 solid hours of sleep last night and that was good. Very cold and windy here today. Should hit 27 tonight, burr for us.
Had a great holiday season. Trying to maintain and be very mindful of what I eat. Remembering to put fork down between each mouthful and take it slow.
Please be happy and enjoy your days. Monica

Patricia R.
on 1/2/12 8:31 pm - Perry, MI
 Good Morning Karen and Family,
Today, I get to call the ENT doctor about my broken nose.  Thank God.  

Last night, my son came by and took apart my extra table and put it in the basement, and worked on my computer, giving me more space on it.  Thank God.   I wanted to download something, but had no space.  

Today, I also have to call my PCP doctor about my visit to the ER, and make an appointment for him to check my leg.  And, I have to call my pain management doctor about a refill on my medication.

I hope everyone has a blessed day.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

grammylew
on 1/2/12 9:20 pm - Jacksonville, NC
Good mornin' ya'll.
I would never have the patience or skill to refininsh furniture. Kudos to you, Karen! Kudo's to Monica too, of course for her great accomplishment. Trish, I hope all your doctors can fix your nose and your leg.
Well our Ducks did kick some Badger butt yesterday. But the first part was very frustrating. Our son took a movie into the living room to watch. Our DIL called him a negative ninny!! BTW, I taught her to crochet las t summer and she is on her third afghan. She loves it. Says it is very relaxing. She still has trouble reading the directions, and turning at the end of a row. I help her with that. And she kinda does it her own way if she can't figure it out. She will come to me and say she has more clusters than the pattern says. I'll look at it and the pattern says skip 7 sc between clusters and she only skipped 4 cause she thought it looked like too big a gap!
You married folks out there, does your DH listen to you and hear what you say? Mine does not. I will say something like, now that everyone has e statements you don't get statements in the mail anymore for taxes. I can just print it out from online. My DH only hears part of it. Yesterday he tells our DIL, Mom is upset cause she hasn't gotten her year end tax info from the bank yet for taxes. I'm like, WHAT? He says that's what you told me. This morning I asked where the coupons were for our trip to the grocery store. He said you took them into the kitchen with you. I searched and not there. I came back and said I have no idea what I did with those coupons. Five minutes later he says, I think I have all the coupons we'll need. I said you told me I had taken them to the kitchen. He said no I had asked him where were the coupons for the cleaning ladies! (He prints out cereal and dog food coupons for them.) I readily admit I absolutely DO NOT listen to him. I don't even hear parts, I just totally ignore him. Generally because he goes on and on about crap I have no interest in. ie: news about celebrities, pollitics, stories I've heard a million times about his childhood, negative comments about everything! Later he'll say to someone, Mom and I think..... Just because I don't comment on something he says (usually negative stuff), he thinks I am agreeing. I'd really rather he just ignored me, too! What a way to live, huh?
Everyone have a fantabulous day!

Grammylew in Jax

poegirl100
on 1/3/12 1:45 am - Cibolo, TX
Caroline--I know it's not funny, but I have to laugh over you and your DH.  My DH only hears what he wants to hear.  Most of the time he just nods and acts like he's listening to me.  Sometimes I lay a trap for him and catch him doing it, and then he always blusters and acts like I'm the awful one for catching him in the act. 

And Lord yes, I have heard all the old "home" stories a million times. 

At least he's not very negative, most of the time. 

Just hang in there.  After 40 years, it's not worth splitting up.  Although, I will tell you that after 50 years, my mom started talking about divorcing my dad.  I think she was mostly just mouthing off to me about it, but I guess with each passing decade, the minor irritations grow bigger and bigger.  With my mom, it was the volume on the TV.  She just couldn't stand it anymore.  Then Daddy passed away and now she says her house is too quiet.  So.  It is what it is. 

How's the nursing cover business going?

Vickie 

Mag (Marguerite) P.
on 1/2/12 10:55 pm - Green Valley, AZ
Hi Karen and OFF,

I am so tired. Still asleep at the computer. I got up at 4:45AM for some unknown reason. Going back to bed. Will check back later.

Mag

cindibarre
on 1/2/12 11:06 pm - Danforth, ME
Good Morning Karen and OFF friends-

Rolled out of bed and headed to yoga this morning.  Halfway there the check transmission message came on and I noticed that the speedometer wasn't working.  Had a good yoga class, once again able to do downward dog pose!  I'm getting increasing flexibility which pleases me.

I have not gotten used to the continual fires that are around in this area.  Most of the rice farmers and ranchers burn off their fields.  Yesterday there were huge smoke clouds to the northeast of where my RV was parked.  Living in the woods of Maine I have learned to be watchful of smoke and fire.  Just have to remember that folks down here should know what they are doing.

Now that I have avoided my volunteer job enough it's time to work on my "sexy" file folder labels.  Positive vibes to all in need.

Cindi
poegirl100
on 1/3/12 1:15 am - Cibolo, TX
Good morning OFF sistas!

May I just start off by saying that I LOVE my new Nook Tablet!  I really love this thing.  I love playing the games, and checking my email, and of course, reading my books.  But the thing I think I love the most is Pandora radio!  I just carry my Nook around with me from room to room and I always have my music with me.  It's wonderful.

Well, with the start of the new year, it's time for us to get real serious about getting this house ready to put on the market.  First thing is to get it cleaned out.  I'm making progress there.  Second thing is to decide what to update to improve our marketability.  There aren't going to be many buyers in our price range in this area.  We need to stand out.

So I'm starting with my kitchen.  I already installed a new granite countertop on the island last year.  We took down the ceiling fan and hung pendant lighting over the island.  We also bought a new kitchen sink, although we won't install that until just before we put the house up for sale.  Yesterday I bought a new kitchen faucet in satin nickel finish for the new sink.  And I started pricing new cabinet hardware.  Holy cow!  This is a very big gourmet kitchen with lots and lots of cabinetry.  I need to change out all the knobs, drawer pulls and hinges because I'm changing everything over to the satin nickel finish.  Hubby is going to have a cow, but it has to be done.  I looked at Lowe's yesterday.  Today I'm going to check out Home Depot.

I just wish I knew what to do about my floors!  Country living is very hard on flooring, and we built this house in 1999.  After 12+ years of husbands, kids, and dogs, my carpeting is shot.  What I would LIKE to do is to rip it all out and put down hardwood floors throughout, but I don't have $20K to do that.  If we were going to stay here, that would be one thing.  But I'm not sure we'd ever get that money back.  I guess we need to have the realtor out here to do a walk-through with us and see what all he has to recommend first.  At the very least, I'm going to have to have them professionally cleaned.

Oh, well, first things first.  Baby steps.  The journey of 1,000 miles begins with just 1 step.  I guess all those cliches are right.  I need to just make a big list and work my way down through it.

At least I'll stay busy for the next 2 weeks until Butch comes home.  Always make the time go by faster.  And Christie and Benny are coming this weekend.  Chris is co-hosting a bridal shower for one of her long-time friends this Saturday.  She and I are talking again, so we'll keep our fingers crossed for this visit.  Anyway, she'll be very busy with her shower preps all day Friday and Saturday.  Mostly it will just be Benny and me--which suits me just fine!  I can't wait to see my baby again!

So, much to do today.  I need to get started.  Love you all!

Vickie 

Judy G.
on 1/3/12 1:41 am - Galion, OH

Hey Vic...on the new cabinet hardware...how about some spray paint for them?? They look like new and in te finish you want...;-)

Have fun...HUGS

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 375 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1172 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1180 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1119 views