Introduction and Questions

fatfifty
on 10/24/12 2:27 pm
RNY on 12/10/12
 Hi all,

I am so glad to have found this forum. I am 53 and waiting on insurance approval to get my gastic bypass.  I have all the associated diseaeses; Type II diabetes, hypothyroidism,  sleep apnea, GERD, DJD (four bulging disc in my back), arthritis, high cholestrol and triglycerides; I really need to get it done.  

I am terrified! 

I am just getting started and will see the nutritionist next Monday, and will begin the pre-op diet soon. There is also a support group that I will probably join soon, but I forgot to get the details on that and will call tomorrow. In the meantime, I am trying to find someone who had the surgery long enough ago to talk about those years after the initial weight loss, how hard it is to keep it off, how hungry you feel. I guess I need to hear about success stories that have lasted past the early thrill of the easier weight loss.  

It seems like all I can find are people that did great in the beginning, but then gained back a lot of it or had near-death complication, or just quit telling their story. 

So if anyone can share their success stories or point me to success stories that have lasted through the years, I would be mighty grateful!

Thanks so much to all for listening and for any "good stuff" you can share with me.

Desperate in MO

Connie D.
on 10/25/12 12:50 am
Good morning and welcome to OFF.....this really is one of the best forums on OH !!!

We always welcome new members and try to be as helpful as possible. We genuinely care about each other and are very supportive. I hope you stick around and join us on our daily thread. Ask anything you want. Nothing is too silly to ask.

I had my surgery (RNY) a little over 5 years ago. I no longer have diabetes or high blood pressure. I still have my COPD but it isn't as bad as it once was. I can walk and get up and down off the floor and I have so much more energy. I have a little regain but I am working on getting back to goal.  Maintenance really is a lot harder then the losing is. Everyone has to work hard at that.

I think you will be happy with the results. You need to remember this isn't the easy way as so many think. You still have to be accountable as to what goes in to your mouth. Some are lucky and have horrible reactions with sweets.....many more of us don't!!  It is all about portion control and setting limits. Exercise of some kind is a important part of this too. Even just walking helps so much!

I wish you the very best.....you will be glad you made this choice!!

Hugs....connie d
fatfifty
on 10/25/12 4:25 am
RNY on 12/10/12
Hi Connie,

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I am excited to move forward .  I hope to stay around for a while and share my success!

Marietta in MO : Highest weight: 267, Before Surgery and Pre-Op diet; 254.6  

fatfifty
on 10/25/12 10:16 am
RNY on 12/10/12

Hello again,

I just received a call from my surgery nurse.  She was returning my call because I hod forgottent o ask when the support group meets.  Anyway after she gave me that information she proceeded to move forward with setting a date for my surgery! I am freaked out because I thought a three to six month dieting and counseling wait would be needed via my insurance.  Apparently this is not the case and my surgery is now scheduled for December 10. Yikes! She wanted to schedule it or November 26, but I have a huge bunch coming for Thanksgiving this year and it just wouldn't work. That means I will start my liquid diet the Monday after Thanksgiving; a far cry form the February/March time frame I had imagined.  I haven't even seen the dietician yet! This is going to be a wild ride.  I am excited and scared and freakishly happy all at once.

I am open to any and all advice anyone has to give.

Thanks

SandraKay
on 10/25/12 12:41 pm - San Antonio, TX

Hi,

Just take a deep breath.  You will do wonderfully.  We all have had the same feelings ... Excited and scared all a the same time. But I continue to hear, "Wish I had done this sooner!"

I'm 65 and had my surgery 20 months ago.  I'm not to goal yet, but have made wonderful progress. It is not "the easy path", but it has been the most rewarding journey!!!

You will find wonderful people on this forum who are eager to help with your journey.  Be sure to post often and ask lots of questions.

Good luck,

Sandra

HW: 297.6  SW: 284.0  CW: 183.0 GW: 175  
VSG: 2/28/11  Surgeon: Dr. "Sonny" Cavazos                  
gardeninggal
on 10/25/12 1:48 pm, edited 10/25/12 1:51 pm - Midland, Canada

Hello everyone:

The 50 forum  applies to me too.  I turned 62 in August and had my surgery (Gastric By Pass) on Sept. 4/12, a Roux N Y and am starting to see the pounds come off and especially inches.  As has been said many times "I just wish that I could have had this surgery sooner" but I am looking at it as better late than never.

I was very fortunate in the timing: from my orientation in early spring to surgery in September.  I am now off my blood pressure meds and that is a great feeling as I have been on them for over 20 years and never thought I would be BP med-free.  I have struggled with my weight for all of my adult life and it seemed like for every 20 lbs lost eventually 25 found their way back.  My mobility became more difficult as I have two herniated discs in my lower back and mild spinal stenosis ( which is a narrowing of the spinal column).  Overall I was healthy and active until I started my pre-menopausal stage of life  ( early 40's) and that is when the pounds just were staying put and calling in for recruits.  Friends and family always said oh you look great/you don't look like you weigh that much, etc.  I was put on meds for high cholesterol, was told I was pre-diabetic and headed for heart disease.  That scared the living s**t out of me as on my mother's side all of those issues were realities.  My mother and her three siblings  had weight issues, had either blood pressure/ diabetes, on meds for high triglycerides and the list goes on and sad thing is that they have since deceased.

Friends were having knee and hip replacement surgeries all around me.  I did not want to wait until that was my reality.

I feel that I have been given a 'tool' in weight loss now that will ensure long term success as long as I follow the program.  I feel hopeful that I can shed this weight and be the person inside of me.  I enjoying making the better, informed choices about what goes in my body.  I am thrilled to be able to help with any questions based on my limited experience and also give thanks to so many who have helped me when I have a question or a worry that I need help with.  

I am trying to walk  for one hour a day (a brisk walk working up a sweat) every other day and know that moving my behind is gonna pay off in the long run.,.....Love to participate here.....in the fifty Plus group......age is only a number right?

GardeningGal in Ontario (a very happy RnY er :)

Nancy

fatfifty
on 10/26/12 1:21 pm
RNY on 12/10/12

Hey Gardner,

Have you already had your surgery or do you have a date?  Maybe we will be surgery buddies!

fatfifty
on 10/26/12 1:43 pm
RNY on 12/10/12

Well, duh, nevernind. I see it in your signature.  Bit slow these days! My disc have been bulging and I have been on Tramadol for awhile and just finished a round of prednisone for my all over out of control arthritis. I can hardly wait to drop a few pounds.,  I hope the aches and pains really do start to ease up.  So far, everyone seems to say that it does get a lot better. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 372 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1170 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1178 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1118 views