Considering RNY

Mellie58
on 9/2/17 4:51 pm

i had the Lap Band procedure many years ago, and at the time, had over 100 pounds to lose - although I initially lost some weight, I was unable to lose all 100 pounds. At the time, my internist suggested RNY; however I was too afraid - I now have even more weight to lose, and my internist is again suggesting RNY - with removal of the band - I am over 55 years of age - I feel like a failure, and with my weight still on and age creeping, I am beginning to somewhat panic - as said, my internist is again encouraging me to seek RNY - she does not see my age as a barrier - however, I'm still concerned - would so love to hear success stories from those have had RNY over 55 (I'm 58) -- thank you so much --

mermaidoz
on 9/3/17 12:44 am, edited 9/2/17 5:46 pm - Canada

I was 62 when I had my RnY. Although was slow loser ( read my ONDERLAND FINALLY post a few posts down), it absolutely improved my health, I lost over 100 lbs, then did a a jog up with regain, but never regained so I had regrets. Today I weigh 183lbs. Just did complete bloodwork and kidney function tests, everything is in normal range ( I take my supplements faithfully). Also did lots of Xrays of my spine and have degenerative everything, the weightloss is definitely a plus in managing the arthritis, together with a Butrans 20 pain patch. No need for me to ever take an NSAID again, which is why people hesitate to opt for RnY as it limits the NSAIDs. There are other choices now for chronic arthritis which didn't exist 9 years ago, just like my doctor said there would be available as people age in the future. At the time when she encouraged me to go for RnY and I hesitated because I needed my NSAIDs. Glad I listened to her, and so glad I had my RnY nine years ago. Never looked back, best thing I did for myself.

I'd do it in a heartbeat again if I had the decision to make again. At first I too looked at the lapband but heard so many people failed because of it, and felt it too finicky for my lifestyle with constant fear of band erosion, so opted for RnY.

I did the right thing, only wished I'd done it at least a couple of decades earlier. By the time I had it done, it was laparascopic and recovery is a cinch compared to when WLS was open surgery. Even now, age is no restriction and some patients in their 70's benefit from RnY.

Improvements in overall health, mobility, fitting in normal chairs, normal sized clothing ( am happy now as a 14-16W , no longer the 26 plus I was), the list is long....go for it, you'll be happier and healthier.

Harpediem
on 9/27/17 7:21 pm

So happy to read this. I'm 66 and had an opportunity to go for RNY 6 years ago and was afraid so I walked away. I think now I could have been 6 years ahead if I'd gone for it then. Now I'm really ready for it. So sick of sleep apnea and the damned machine, sick of being so tied and having sore hips and feet.

today I had my first meeting with the nurse practitioner here in Kingston, blood work and ecg, then booked for dietitian and social worker st the end of the month. It seems to be moving so quickly I felt like my head was spinning all day. The NP said I'd have to go to Toronto because kingston has a very strict cut-off of 65, which is not the end of the world. She also said something that scared me : that folks overv65 have a higher rate of intestinal blockage and anemia years after surgery. The research I read says it's overall under 3%. Have any of you heard this? It raised a little trepidation.

mermaidoz
on 9/28/17 7:36 am - Canada

Don't let the scaremongering put you off again. Older follks in general , not just wls individuals, have a higher rate of all kinds of events including heart attacks, cancer, whatever. And yes, some wls people, because they have less stomach to absorb natural iron from food, have to take an iron pill , in my case am one of those and Since I also eat less red meat, I take an iron pill every 2-3 days , it's no big deal. Others may need more iron more often, some even an infusion every few months worst case scenario. Don't let this put you off.

You Go Girl.

Harpediem
on 9/28/17 9:58 am

The NP said out of 3500 patients in the last 10 years she's seen 50 who needed iron infusion, and most of them were menstruating women. I'm more concerned about bowel obstruction, which can happen 3-5 years down the road.

mermaidoz
on 9/28/17 3:39 pm - Canada

Am almost ten years out, no bowel obstruction, and dont know of anyone who has.

Are you going to let fear of something that may never happen ( I'm saying not likely to happen, as not the usual)stop you from getting this Surgery?

Maybe you aren't ready for wls, but at the risk of sounding cruel , will you ever be if your fear of bowel obstruction in 3-5 years is so overwhelming? Do more research if it may help you decide one way or the other.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 373 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1171 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1178 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1118 views