binder/compression garment--both or same thing?

heatherlowrymom
on 7/8/08 7:05 am
I haven't been to my pre-op yet, but with all this talk about cg's and binders, and then looking at makemeheal, am I going to want a binder, a compression garment or both, or do some people use the term for the same thing? There are mid-thighs, mid-knees, etc...what is the most comfortable? I would assume maybe I would have a cg with a binder over it for the first week or 2 to keep things tight? Counting down to my flat tummy,.....
Heather

"I am the CHAMPION.......of the WORLD!!!"--from the movie "Chicken Little"
Marella33
on 7/8/08 7:45 am - Flat Rock, MI
I have both. My Ps removed the binder in the hospital as I was fighting the dry heaves for over 24 hrs. And while he didn't say to use it or not, I have worn it a day or two. The compression garment I was told to wear for 6 weeks 24/7 except when showering (during which time, I am washing it and wearing a tummy corset type garment while it dries. I had to wear a binder after my wls for 8 weeks and after my gallbladder surgery for 4 weeks. Hope this helps. Maryann
michdeb
on 7/8/08 10:22 am - Southeast, MI
This is something to ask your surgeon.  I had an anchor cut TT, and then 19 months later, a revision anchor TT with a different surgeon.  Each time I had a binder on immediately after surgery.  I switched to a compression garment about two weeks postop the first time, but went to the compression garment  within 48 hours after the second surgery.  I was able to thread the drains up through the crotch opening and pin them to the garment.  The garment was much more comfortable than the binder, as it didn't move around, or want to ride up my abdomen.  As I had mons work done each time, the garment also gave me a little more compression with that, too.  I wore the garments for about 10 weeks, so it is good to have two, one to wear, one to wash.  I chose garments that went below the knee, as I didn't want any riding up on my thighs.  In the summer, I would rethink that, as I couldn't wear the longer garment with shorts or capris.  Your doctor might have specific requirements for garments, so you don't want to buy something you can't use.  Some doctors recommend Spanx or inexpensive girdles, as the compression garments can be expensive.  I feel I got my money's worth out of my garments, though. Debra M.
DeannaK
on 7/8/08 10:25 am - Keller, TX
Hi Heather, My PS provided the PG and the binder and being 7 weeks out, I still have to wear both. I know alot of the surgeons provide the garments and binders. You are responsible for buying yours? I've seen quite a few garments out there, but most you have to pull on which I'd be concerned about that with your incisions. The one I wear has eye hooks and a zipper on both sides. Good luck! Deanna
heatherlowrymom
on 7/8/08 12:42 pm
Thanks for all the input, guys! And I thought that was a dumb question! I know he will tell me everything at my appointment, just wanted to clarify! I am sure I could by my own if I thought they would be more comfy than theirs--they may  even recommend the ones from makemeheal...maybe I will call tomorrow...
Dena ..
on 7/9/08 2:35 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
I found the compression garment to be much more comfortable than my binder.  I also think it kept the swelling down much better than the binder did. Before you order anything from make me heal...check with your PS's office...my PS sells the same compression garment in his office that they have on make me heal...for less than half the price!!!! He gave me one binder and one compression garment...and I bought an extra compression garment so that I could switch off.

And, in the end, I distilled everything down to one wonderfully simple principle: win or die.

Marquise de Merteuil in Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
Most Active