Having my LBL in 1 week thru Residency Program

Melissa M.
on 3/10/09 3:02 pm, edited 3/10/09 3:38 pm - Seabrook, TX

As some of you know I have been researching PS for about 2 years now.  After much thought and 6 PS consults, including 1 in Mexico, I have decided to use the University of Texas Medical School PS Residency Program.  I was initially going to use Dr Wainwright before I knew he was the attending physician for the program.  Dr Wainwright came highly recommended and I was glad to know that he would be there with the resident during surgery. Anyhow,  when I learned this, I scheduled a consult with UTMB and Baylor College of Medicine.  The prices were great for both programs, but the resident at UTMB was the only one who would do the full LBL with the anchor cut.  The other wanted to split the procedures.  I noticed Dr L said that most residents are not board certified but this resident said he was a board certified general surgeon during my first consult.  I'll have to double check just out of curiosity.  The cost for the LBL with anchor cut, monsplasty and back lipo is about $7500 whi*****ludes overnight hospital and anesthesia fees.  To be honest, if I hadn't discovered the residency program I'm almost certain I would have gone to Mexico.  Already knew where I was gonna stay too!  I could have gotten my LBL with anchor cut plus a breast lift for about $10K, but I was just worried about the aftercare I might need if something were to go wrong.  I guess I read enough on these boards about seromas and wound separations to change my mind. I know I'll have to do my arm lift and breast lift in a separate procedure but it really won't be much more than what I would have spent in Mexico. 

My surgery is scheduled for March 17th and I have really been working on getting everything I need.  I had my preop appt today and everything went great.  I donated my own blood yesterday just in case since I have a history of anemia and do iron infusions on a regular basis. I have been taking extra protein and vitamin C and probably should start my stool softeners too.  I went to different medical supply stores today to check out the lift recliners and other necessities I might need.  The recliners were so cool and comfy too.  I decided to go with rent a center though because they were half the price of the medical store. I even requested a new one too.  Should be here on Monday.

I also have all kinds of other little things that people have mentioned here that were good to have next to you. Now I am just concentrating on cleaning and having my fridge and pantry stocked up with food for the kiddos.  I swear I have just become this neat freak cleaning the house from top to bottom.  You'd think I was gonna be incapacitated for 6 months the way I've been cleaning! LOL

Here's my list so if you can think of anything I am missing or have other suggestions, please chime in!

Lift chair
toilet seat riser
walker (not sure if I'll need it but found one for $10 at a resale shop)
pillow wedge/extra pillows
colace
senekot-s
thermometer
tissues
grabber thingie
chapstick
bath wipes
large pads for recliner in case there is any leaking from drain areas
kotex pads to put on drains if necessary
bacitracin
protein mix/bars
books/dvds
warm comfy socks :)

Thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions and tips for us first timers!

Melissa

DEBI R.
on 3/10/09 5:50 pm - CORSICANA, TX
Good luck with your LBL on the 17th Melissa and thanks for the list I didn't even think about a thermometer when I was making mine.  I'm having a panniculectomy (TT)  and brachioplasty April 8th at Baylor Dallas and I'm counting the days, they can't get here soon enough for me. LOL   Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Melissa M.
on 3/11/09 7:09 am - Seabrook, TX
I had a printed list that I got from posts here and just highlighted the stuff I needed.  I'd rather be overprepared than underprepared .

Your surgery will be here before you know it.  I have been so busy trying to do stuff at home and at work so I won't leave any loose ends. When I stop long enough (like when I go to bed) I get so nervous.  I told the Dr yesterday that they were gonna have to give me something as soon as I showed up to the hospital because I'll ******vous wreck I'm sure.
DEBI R.
on 3/11/09 2:34 pm - CORSICANA, TX
I'm not nervous yet but am a little worried about how painful it is going to be having my arms done with my stomach, I hope I'll be able to get out of the chair. I have a 4 poster bed that is very high off the ground so I know I won't be able to sleep in it but we do have a lift chair that was my grandmothers that I'll use so that will help.

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

cleos_mom
on 3/10/09 9:44 pm - phila., PA
Goood Luck to both of you on your surgeries, you will do fine
Melissa M.
on 3/11/09 7:33 am - Seabrook, TX
Thanks for the well wishes! 
gaitedlady
on 3/10/09 10:03 pm - charlotte courthouse, VA
Melissa,
Good luck with your surgery.  You will be in good hands.  But I have a special love for UTMB, as I worked there for 8 years and delivered my first daughter there.  After hurricane Ike I'd heard they (UT Board of Regents) were considering closing the medical school, and just could NOT wrap my brain around such a devastating thing (for the Island, for the residents, for the entire UT system!)  I'm glad they are back open and operating!

Your list looks very thorough. One thing I discovered was wearing a man's undershirt under my binder helped make wearing the binder, when I was swollen, more comfortable.  Those hook and eye thingies were cutting into my skin at my waist, taking skin off when I unfastened it!  The kotex pads (which I did purchase) where never used for that purpose.  I tried, they were just too thick.  What worked better for me were just plain sterile gauze pads, as there wasn't THAT much seepage from the wound site.

Again, good luck!
Sandy
Melissa M.
on 3/11/09 7:00 am - Seabrook, TX
Well I know they are closing UTMB in Galveston, but the one in Houston at the Medical Center is still open.  That's the one I went to.  UTMB in Galveston has been around forever.  They did take quite a hit after the hurricane.

What kind of binder did you use?  Mine is the one that goes from right under the breast to the knees with the hook and eye and the zippers on either side.  If I take an undershirt they will have to put it on after surgery because I won't be taking that thing off until my post op appt on Friday.  I'll take one then for sure to put it on before they change me to the clean binder.
Danielle H.
on 3/10/09 11:07 pm - Atlanta, GA
Wow that's wonderful!  I too didn't have much seepage - I used towels in bed for the first week, but never needed them really.  I put gauze around the drain and tape but never seeped from there either.  I always wear a smooth tshirt under my binder - just helps with comfort all together - refrain from anything ribbed - it hurts after wearing the thing all day.

Your list is pretty good - I'd definitely take a pillow to/from hospital, helps with ride home.

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

Melissa M.
on 3/11/09 7:13 am - Seabrook, TX
Thanks, I think I'll put one in my car today so I won't forget.  I did that yesterday at the Drs office.  I left my list of questions at home (of course) and I kept thinking of this ONE thing I needed to ask him and if I didn't forget that one question and remembered as I was driving home!

Melissa
Most Active