Drain- I can see the white part- gross pic

Danielle H.
on 3/11/09 9:34 am - Atlanta, GA
Anyone else had the issue that when stripping the drain that you can see the white part of the drain up at your skin....mine hurts more lately and today after I stripped it, it started bleeding - like very bloody in the tube again when earlier today it was almost brown yellow more like low drainage.

I go see my PS tomorrow - so not panicking and if no one answers he'll obviously take a look then.

Just curiuos - I knew one person said the white part broke off, and I thought the tubing was pretty flexible - been pulling on it for 12 days now and not really seen it yet, so maybe it just working its way out.

Also hurts on the side the drain is, very uncomfortable back pain.

I'm tired of this drain in particular...the others didn't give me as much trouble as this one.  And I found out that my dr is gone all next week, so if it doesn't come out tomorrow, which is not likely, then it will be a whole week longer!  I know, whiney - sorry - I know all the reasons...etc. I'm just tired of the drain.

Any thoughts?

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

muskegon71
on 3/11/09 10:10 am

I am not sure what this is, but mine looks exactly the same, so it is probably normal since we both have it.   I have had my drain for two weeks now, and I am so ready to have it removed.  Please let us know what your doc says.  I would like to know, too.  Thanks.

Danielle H.
on 3/11/09 11:06 pm - Atlanta, GA
I emailed my ps last night - its really the fact that its bleeding and causing pain.  He told me if the blood flled up the bulb to call him during the night, if not then not to worry but come in to the office.

I already had an appt, and the blood stopped at about 5 cc so it wasn't a big deal, now its back to clots coming through and I can see the white part really without any pulling and its stiill painful, so I am really hopeful he will pull it out seeing as he's gone next week.

Oh well, I'll find out more later and post again.

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

Nicole0216
on 3/11/09 10:14 am - Lancaster, PA
I did not have this but dont think it is a problem. You will be so happy to get those drains out
happy girl
on 3/11/09 12:12 pm
I don't know but I am sending you my good thoughts.  I am in such denial about drains and having to deal with them, I can't even imagine what it's like for you

hang in there

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

sc62
on 3/11/09 11:33 pm - NJ
Hi Danielle,

I am the person who's drain came apart.  It happened right at the point of the white bit and the clear tubing.  The white bit was inside me from late Saturday night until my doc apt. on Tuesday.  I know how you feel and honestly it is not whiney and if it is SO WHAT, I say go ahead and whine, I sure did, LOL.  I HATED THE DRAINS!!!!

Anyway when I went for my apt on Tuesday the doc of course had to take it out because it was broken.  He explained to me that he had never seen or heard of this happening and that he was very sorry it did.  He is also on the advisory board for the drain company (if I remember correctly it was an Ethicon drain made by Johnson & Johnson).  I had to save the broken bit and take it to my apt with me becaue apparently the company was quite concerned that this had happened and wants to investigate it.

In any event if yours happened to break off and it needs to be removed please just make sure the doc gives you a shot to numb the area so that it will not be painful when he has to remove it. 

Good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed for a drain free you!!

Sandy

MSHAMO
on 3/12/09 7:20 am, edited 3/14/09 7:30 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
Hi Danielle, Sorry to hear that you are in such pain. None of my drains look like the picture you posted. I actually went to get a mirror to look and I don't see anything like that. Good thing you are going to your PS. I went to my PS yesterday and decided to leave my 3 in for another week. They are annoying, but am worried that the pain from fluid buildup would be worse than the annoying drains. Let us know how you are doing. Nancy
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
DrL
on 3/14/09 2:26 pm - Houston, TX

Should be OK as long as the bulb is staying collapsed and air is not getting in.  Those are the older style drains with a hub, which menas the white part is bigger  in diameter than the clear. 

They can separate at the hub, and in my experience are a bit more uncomfortable to remove.  A hubless drain is a newer design that is all the clear tubing with no connection and no change in diameter so they slide out better.

Hope you get them out soon...they are a necessary nuisance though !

Best wishes,

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com

Most Active