Another LBL ? (sorry I have so many!)

MelissaF
on 3/17/09 1:28 pm, edited 3/17/09 1:34 pm - Northwood, IA
I am going to be returning to work at 6 weeks postop.  I am a floor nurse and work long shifts, 12-14 hours at a time.  I am on my feet running constantly... how did you feel at 6 weeks out? Could you handle this much activity? Do you think a compression garment like spanx would be in order since there is no way I will be able to wear that abdominal binder under my scrubs.  I do a lot of bending, pulling, pushing etc.  My surgeon said 6 weeks ok to go back.  

those that have been there.. how would u have handled that???  By the way, I only work 2 nights a week, every weekend in those two days are in a row.  

edited to add this ? also:  Did you get to shower with your drains in at all?  I forgot to ask my surgeon but will ask when I see him again.

Thanks!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

totalfreedom
on 3/17/09 11:40 pm - Northern CA
Hi Melissa,

This is a hard one to answer. We are all so unique in our recovery process, our surgeon's techniques and the procedures we have done together.

But here is my return to work schedule.

My job is sedentary (business analyst). I am at my desk at the computer or in countless meetings.

I returned to work after 6 weeks off. The first week I worked 3 days at 7 hrs, the 2nd week I worked 4 days at 7hrs each. By week 8 I was feeling my energy levels back to normal and was full time.

I stopped wearing any kind of compression garment after 6 weeks. I found they contributed more to my swelling then not. Sitting was the worst, so I purposely stood in meetings and walked the long halls. So your activity level may be an advantage for you.

I suggest you plan to take some breaks. But you may be surprised at how well you do. Everynight i came home, I was laying on the couch, with my feet elevated for the first two weeks of my return to work.

DRAINS: I was able to shower with my drains, I took a shower at day 5. Still ask your surgeon, this is a different rule it seems among surgeons.

Are you getting excited? LOL

Kelli

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Danielle H.
on 3/18/09 12:21 am - Atlanta, GA
I can't answer the 6 week point cause not there yet, not even 3 weeks yet...but I love the binder and hurt without it right now...my PS just gave me another one so I have one when I wash!

I would think you could wear it under scrubs though - pretty easily under clothes... But my PS says only need it for 4 weeks - check yours to see if he's different.

As for the shower, I took one at 5 days as well - I still had 2 then and I used a ponytail holder to safety pin them on so they could hang in the shower so I could wash myself... Before that I figured out how to do my hair in the sink, probably not the best cause I was bent over, but I was desperate!  I hate unclean hair and even though no one was seeing me, I had to do it by day 3.

Ask any questions, we've been through it and its great to feel knowledgeable when you go in so you're more ready!

I hope you're excited!  Its soon!

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

BigCityGirl
on 3/18/09 1:35 am - San Diego, CA
I have a desk job and returnd to work after two weeks when the last drain came out.  I think being on your feet could add to swelling, even at six weeks out.  Be careful about sodium and drink lots of fluids.  I wore my binder under conventional clothing (much tighter than scrubs!) for six weeks.  I showered with drains.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
cleos_mom
on 3/18/09 5:39 am - phila., PA
my DR. told me I didn't have to wear the binder after 6 weeks, I bought Spanx and he said I could still wear it if I want , I have to wear it to excercise and I want to wear it to bed. Just make sure it is tight during the day
kimmee2k
on 3/19/09 2:57 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Melissa,
I dont know everyone is diffrent. i wear my binders faithfully. The abdominal binder and My bra compression binder. I did not have much swelling. I am not for sure why just didnt. my belt lipectomy was on 3/2/09 along with the breast implants. i went back to work after 2 weeks and I am doing ok. I am a nurse as well I work in a Peds clinic so it is move move all day long. I am on my feet alot as well but I do sit down and take my breaks and I get up and move around as required. I have a great support from my coworkers as well. You are in good shape. I think alot on how you recover is the shape and health your body is in physically. You take care of yourself and you will take care of itself. you will be fine. Take you antibiotics and wear your binders as instructed 6-8 weeks and you should be fine. I wear a corsette during the day at work which is spanx material somewhat not as bulky as the binders the hospital gave me. I have 4 given to me from the hospital but again a little bulky but i wear them at night around the house and i wear my corsette binder and bra when i go to work and out. Same tightness and bind.
Good luck and many blessings.
Kim aka Kimmee
MelissaF
on 3/19/09 3:54 pm - Northwood, IA
Wow back to work in only 2 weeks Kimmee??? that is impressive.  My doc said not to go back for 6 weeks and has me on a 10 lbs weight restriction postop with bending restrictions.  But you give me hope if u were able to return after ONLY 2 weeks.. girl I am amazing and impressed!  Don't overdue it though!! I think not being sedentary has got to help swelling to some extent.. ? One would think anyways or maybe it makes it worse in some situations.  I am so happy for you!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Stephany N.
on 3/19/09 11:54 pm - Spencer, MA

Hey Melissa!!

I survived my surgery....barely!! Its' been a tough week. I wanted to let you know I've been able to shower since my second day out of surgery. I had to pin my arm drains to my hospital bracelets and I wore those "webbed" panties they give you in the hospital. I tucked all my drains in there and showered as usual. I used a shower seat...GOD SEND! I took my time and totally enjoyed the warm water. 

Can't offer any advice about work...Stay-home Mom and only a week out. But I'll keep you posted when I start feeling better!!

Luv Ya!

Stephany

300/275/135/150 - 15lbs BELOW Docs Goal

Starting/Surgery/Current/Goal

MelissaF
on 3/20/09 1:09 am - Northwood, IA
Yeah Stephanie!! I have been thinking about you hoping all is going well!! I am so excited for you.  Do you love the way you look already despite the fresh incisions and probable swelling?!?!  I bet it feels good NOT to have an apron!!! How exciting for you!!

I cannot wait, you give me hope!!!! ;-)  Keep me posted ok?  Keep up the quick recovery. I am sure its been a tough week but it can only get better from here pain wise.. I would imagine anyways!

Good to know about the shower, I am not sure I will be so lucky with my surgeon.  He is such a stickler on things and most of his pts I take care of orders read "no shower until drains come out".  Do you realize how funky this girl will be by then.. I don't even wanna think about it!
Hugs, Melissa 

Stephany N.
on 3/20/09 3:25 am - Spencer, MA

EEWWWW......glad you live in Iowa!!! 

No..I really wish you lived closer so we could meet! I really like you!!

300/275/135/150 - 15lbs BELOW Docs Goal

Starting/Surgery/Current/Goal

Most Active