Drain help

JulieIND
on 3/26/09 8:00 am - Indianapolis, IN
I am eight days post op TT and my drain started leaking blood/serous fluid around where the drain goes into my skin.  I have changed a gauze pad around it several times today.  I called the nurse and they said to just keep stripping the tube and it's not really a big deal.  But it seems like a big deal to me because this wasn't happening before.

Has anyone else had this occur? 
Susan S.
on 3/26/09 8:16 am - Roselle, NJ
 Why is it we'll let people operate on us and then not trust their judgement about things as they change/!??   You have a lot of fluid to come out - your drains syphon fluid from the area where they are placed - and they can be long (the under the skin structure)........and cover a lot of territory.   You also have localized fluid near the tubing that also is doing what it's supposed to - finding a route out of your body...and it found a convenient hole........so it's coming out.    This is a natural process...and just because it wasn't happening before doesn't mean it's not ok to be happening now.......of course it was a good idea to ask your doctor and you were told it's nothing to worry about........so you can stop worrying.......I guess because I'm on my third round of plastics nothing surprises me anymore iwth my body - stitches migrate out all over the damn place etc.......unless it's hot smelly red skin - etc.......indicating infection........the body knows what it's doing...........of course it's a big deal because it's new to you and it's your body - but trust your nurses......they told you the truth.    Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

JulieIND
on 3/26/09 8:18 am - Indianapolis, IN
Thanks, Susan  
JulieIND
on 3/26/09 1:26 pm - Indianapolis, IN
I'm so frustrated right now I could scream!  They told me to keep stripping the drain tube, which I'm doing, but every time I do it, it causes severe pain in my mid-abdomen.  I actually had to go back to taking the stronger pain meds to deal with the pain.  I'm going to call the doctor again in the a.m.  I just wanted to vent.  Sorry to complain so much.  I just didn't expect this kind of stuff.   
Redhaired
on 3/26/09 10:25 pm - Mouseville, FL
That's ok Julie.  This was new to all of us at one time.  I hope the problem soon resolves and that your surgeon is either able to fix it or reassure you that it is nothing to be concerned about.

Red

JulieIND
on 3/27/09 12:05 am - Indianapolis, IN
They actually called this a.m. and are going to remove the drain today because it's only putting out 10 cc every 12 hours. 
Danielle H.
on 3/27/09 12:17 am - Atlanta, GA
YEAH!  Drain removal is wonderful, just don't be surprised if the drain hole in your body continues to leak a little fluid for a few days.  Its totally normal...if your body has fluid it will find a way out...through any open incision, separation...heck mine finds it way out through my belly button!  Its gross but its temporary and hey if it doesn't come out then it stays in and that can cause problems too.

Just hang in there - you're doing the right thing by calling the dr, that's what they are there for, but hopefully you put enough research into it to know to trust him when he says its ok...they see the stuff all the time and we don't!

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

Most Active