Another Post-Op question (Brachioplasty )

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/09 10:35 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Me again with another Brachioplasty post-op question...... thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I've noticed over the last 2 days but especially today that my forearms are getting very swollen!  Does anyone know the cause of this?  Could it be because I am not laying down and really elevating the arms much during the day?

I'll call the Dr tomorrow but would appreciate any insight anyone has tonight.

Thanks!!
Ruth
whisperingliz
on 4/2/09 12:00 pm - paramount, CA
I had brachio on 3/24. My forarms were swollen and still are. My doctor told this is completely normal, I actually have pain and tingling in one of them, still he said that was normal. I wouldnt worry too much about it unless your forarms go completely numb.
(deactivated member)
on 4/2/09 1:08 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thanks, it's comforting to know it's normal.  There is some pain in the forearm from the swelling which I think is better than the awful numbness of the upper arms.....
Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/2/09 2:14 pm - Newport Beach, CA
It is very common to have swelling of your forearm and hand after brachioplasty.  In my patients, I wrap an ACE, starting at the palm and running up all the way to the armpit.  Importanbvt to go from plam up an dnot the other way.  Also, at nights, keep you hand forearma nd arms elevated above your heart level o ver 2 pillows. 

We should talk more,

Agha
Siamak Agha MD PhD
Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society of Plastic Surgery
Specializing in Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery
www.plasticsurgerycal.com

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 1:34 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Dr. Agha,
Thank you for your response to post......
I do have the ACE wrapped going from the lower arm up to armpit however I started it a few inches above the wrist.  I think my problem is I'm sitting up or walking around the house most of the day and not laying down and elevating the arms during the day.  (I'm getting too bored doing nothing).

Thanks again for the reply.
Ruth
Redhaired
on 4/2/09 9:27 pm - Mouseville, FL

A little swelling is normal but if you notice your forearms or hands changing colors, getting cold, or a lot of tingling sensations in your hands, that might be something to be concerned about and you will need to contact your surgeon right away.

Red

ilyssajane
on 4/3/09 6:18 am - Forest Hills, NY
Hi Ruth,

I am 12 weeks post op from mine and I went back to work after 3 weeks and I am still swollen and sore.  My doctor has checked me out several times and feel it's all normal.   Unless your arms are seriously discolored or you are in MAJOR pain, it's normal.  You just had major surgery, it will get better!

Good luck!
Ilyssa
RNY 6/22/05 = 268 * TT 2/22/07 = 164 * Arm Lift 1/16/09 = 170
Happy in life and that is all that matters!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 6:45 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thanks for the reassurance!!!
Most Active