Question regarding food / liquids post-op

mom23reds
on 4/11/09 6:19 am - Bryan, TX
I had gastric bypass 19 months ago. I had hernia repair, tummy tuck, and panniculectomy on Wednesday. The surgeon was able to repair my massive hernia without using mesh because my tissue was loose enough and healthy enough to be moved around and triple stitched to hold everything in place. I have no belly button now because he cut above that and removed 8.6 lbs of skin/fat and then stitched it down at the bikini line. I came home from the hospital on Friday. I still have 2 JP drains (ouch -- they are in just a WRONG spot) and I am wearing my binder 24/7.

However, I can't seem to eat or drink much at all any more. I was at the point after gastric bypass where I could eat a chicken breast or two hot dogs (no bread) or one hot dog with bun. Now I can barely eat three or four bites and my pouch says, "Full -- do not add more!" I haven't thrown up (cause I do listen to my pouch) but I'm concerned that I am not getting enough protein or calories. Same kind of issue with my water. Normally I drink 3 to 4 quarts of water a day. Now I'm fighting to get in 2 quarts.

I don't have any of the problems which require a call to the surgeon over the weekend but I definitely will be calling on Monday. Any suggestions?

I am spending a lot of my time in bed right now simply because moving hurts, though I do get up every couple of hours to go to the bathroom and move around.

Thanks,
Susan

totalfreedom
on 4/11/09 7:04 am - Northern CA
Yes, at first you will feel fuller because of the TT.  I was eating about 1/2 of what I ate before PS.  My suggestion is to eat more often to get the protein in. Also add protein drinks and make it all count by eating  very high protein foods.  At this point you sort of have to skip some of the rules of RNY eating.  You need calories to heal.  Because of mal-absorbtion issues you need more as well.

As far as water, while it is important to drink enough to help prevent swelling, don't drink too much as that will lead to swelling, too.

congrats on your PS journey, 

Heal well.

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

mom23reds
on 4/11/09 7:35 am - Bryan, TX
The problem is that my RNY surgeon forbids us to have protein drinks post-op. All protein is to be gotten from "real" food. I think I'm going to ignore him at this point and have at least one protein shake a day otherwise I don't think I'll be getting in but about 50 g protein a day -- if that even!

I'm eating about 1/8 to 1/4 what I was eating before TT, which is why I'm really worried. I always go for protein first so that's not a problem. It's just tolerating protein at this point.

For now I'll just keep swimming... (so to speak).

Thanks,
Susan

gypsywoman6789
on 4/11/09 9:17 am - Hudson, NH
I'm guessing your RNY surgeon didn't want you getting protein via liquids afterwards because if you consume too much high calorie liquids you can pack the pounds right back on so perhaps he just didn't want you to get into that kind of a habit.

I just had my TT Tuesday and am not eating as much.  I am focusing on getting in as much protein as possible and being sure to avoid anything that would make me throw up since that is definitely something you don't want to do right after having major surgery on your tummy.

I am able to get in enough water but I sip it constantly throughout the day.  I am drinking at least one carnation instant bfast a day to get in a decent dose of protein via a liquid and other than that I am going back to the RNY rules of eating my proteins first.  It's almost like being about 2 wks post GB surgery where you really have to pay attention to what you are eating because you just can't get it all in at the moment.

That is awesome that they took over 8lbs off!  That is alot.  I had 7.5lbs taken off.

We'll have to compare before and after pics!  Take care.

islander
on 4/11/09 10:05 am - Middletown, RI
I totally lost my appetite after tt & br.  I had to force myself to take more than 4 bites.  I quickly lost 10 & then 16 lbs., so I quickly started with protein drinks & forced myself to eat/drink more often.  I was also faithful with my supplements.

I stabilized my weight after 3-4wks & have gradually regained my appetite, but I could easily lose more if I wished.  It's important to get that protein in not only to heal but to regain energy.  it took me about 6 wks. to start feeling normal again & not like the walking dead.

mom23reds
on 4/11/09 10:16 am - Bryan, TX
Part of me figures now is the time to go back to the beginning in terms of post-RNY eating because I still need to lose another 40 lbs (minimum). However, I also am concerned because I don't need to be protein deficit at this point after plastic surgery!

I guess I'll just work on eating more and more and try to eat more often to make sure I get my protein in.

Thanks for all the replies.

mom23reds
on 4/12/09 11:08 am - Bryan, TX
Today I'm doing better both in terms of eating and drinking. I'm almost to 48 oz of water so far today and I've eaten the entire hearty ham & cheese omelette from IHop (over the course of the day) and the day isn't over yet. I also had two bites of a cupcake and some (fewer than 8) Baked Lays.

I suspect a lot of this was just the basic abdominal shutdown and numbness post-op. Now things are returning to a more normal situation. If I could just go to the bathroom more normally! These drains are just in the WRONG place!!

Susan

not_quite_Barbie
on 4/14/09 10:58 pm
I'm 2 weeks post TT and BA.

I lost my apetitie for the first week but it came back strong week two. I didn't lose a pound (darn!!!!).

I totally know what you mean about the drains. I found what worked best for me were sweat pants with pockets. I could loop the drains up over the waistband and put the bulbs in my pockets and then, when I pulled the pants down, the drains weren't pulled down so far that they tugged.

Good Luck.
5'4" start weight 233, current 122 lb.
RNY 9/07
TT/BA 3/09
LBL 4/10
mom23reds
on 4/14/09 11:09 pm, edited 4/14/09 11:10 pm - Bryan, TX
The problem I have with the drain is that if I bring the tube UP over a waistband, it pulls. My drain is WAY low - like in the edge of the mons at the leg crease. Because my binder goes down over my hips, I've got the tubing and bulb pinned to the lower edge of my binder. It's just bulky in the front...

Sweatpants are NOT an option here. It's 80°F already in Texas. I've found one pair of loose shorts I can wear and I have a couple of throw on dresses I wear.

Last night I put on my friend's Utilikilt and man was it loose compared to before. It doesn't fall off yet... but give me a summer of biking and I'm betting by September its gonna slide right off me.

As for water, I'm back to 3 quarts a day (which I'm happy with because I'm not out and about too much yet) and food intake is still lower but I'm working on that. I guess I ought to get up and go get some breakfast since I have nothing here easily made. Yeah, I'm lazy. I don't cook, that's hubby's job.

Susan

Most Active