Quick Question: Compression Garments with TT?

L C.
on 4/11/09 6:33 am - OH
Just left my PS office and he has said that he doesn't think the compression garments after my TT are necessary.   Does that sound right to you?  I had a previous TT year and years ago and I had a "Girdle" like compression binder but I also had lipo so that may be why.  Any of you had a TT and didn't have the binder?

Thanks.

: )

Lisa C.

238/230/155/141/137
Pre-op/Day of Surgery/Dr's Goal/Current/My Goal
I did it!  I made my Dr's Goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigCityGirl
on 4/11/09 6:46 am - San Diego, CA
It doesn't sound right to me.  I wore my binder for six weeks.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
amber1978
on 4/11/09 6:55 am
VSG on 11/29/07 with
I'm scheduled for my TT on May 11th, and my PS doesn't require on either.  I read on another message board that it varies from surgeon to surgeon.  When are you having surgery?
It's never too late to be who you might have been.  George Elliot

1st goal 135!

L C.
on 4/14/09 8:27 am - OH
Hi Amber,

Sorry it took me so long to reply but I went away for the Easter holiday.

I haven't scheduled the exact date yet but it will be within the next month or two.  I am scheduling with the Cleveland Clinic Residency program and will be using one of their fellows.  The reduced cost is verrrrrrrry appealing and my surgery will have both the fellow and a renouned surgeon overseeing my surgery.  How can I argue with that? 

I was a bit concerned as I always thought that a binder was in order but I guess not.  I will wait and see at my next appt.

Thanks for replying and good luck on your surgery!!!  Please update so we know how you did.

: )

Lisa C.

238/230/155/141/137
Pre-op/Day of Surgery/Dr's Goal/Current/My Goal
I did it!  I made my Dr's Goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mechelle J
on 4/17/09 11:47 pm - Manchester, KY
Do all hospital's have a residency program?
Mechelle
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding"  Proverbs 3:5
cleos_mom
on 4/11/09 9:01 am - phila., PA
maybe it is only necessary if you have the muscle tightened, you need it to hold the muscle in .  also the compression garment keeps down the swelling. I just had my butt done and I have to wear the compression garment for 6 weeks andd my thighs and I have compression garments on them also
I had to wear one for my TT for 6 weeks, but I still wear it when I excercise or sleep because I was told that the longer you wear the better the results. I don't know how true it is but it can't hurt to wear it
droth
on 4/11/09 9:06 am
I had a LBL w/ muscle tightening, lipo and an umbilical hernia repair and my PS didn't require me to use a compression garment at all.  In fact,  he also doesn't belive in them.  My surgery was on Feb 27th - and quite honestly,  I can't imagine having one.  Just wearing underpants at the beginning was snug and uncomfortable.

Go with what your surgeon says -  he is the professional and knows what's best!!

gypsywoman6789
on 4/11/09 9:09 am - Hudson, NH
I just had my TT done 5 days ago, no muscle tightening, I have to wear a binder for 6 wks, 24 hrs a day except for when I am showering.  My understanding is that the purpose is to help keep the swelling down, helps support the surgical site so the incisions don't spread wide which creates uglier scars or split open.

I can't imagine not having one.  Especially now that my incisions are starting to itch at least with the binder I can't reach the incisions to itch them!

Maybe it depends on how much skin you are having removed.  Maybe if its not alot they don't  think its necessary.  I had a good amount taken off, 7.5 lbs and like I said I can't imagine getting around without the binder.

Now they did tell me that I would be sent home with compression stockings which help prevent DVT but they felt I didn't need them since I was moving around ok on my own.  I just have to walk around a little bit throughout the day.

Have you had consults with other PS's?  I would suggest having at least 3 consults so you can make an educated decision for yourself.

Good luck.
droth
on 4/11/09 9:52 am
My surgeon took approximately 15 lbs. of fat off of me and I look pretty good.  I questioned why he didn't use the garments, as every other surgeon used them.  He just poo-pooed them.  But after 6 1/2 weeks and seeing my results--I'm certainly not questioning him!

islander
on 4/11/09 9:58 am - Middletown, RI
I'm supposed to be wearing one.  I've tried it without & it's just not as comfortable.  It feels like a dull ache in my midsection without.  I suppose the muscle & skin there are still healing & like the extra support.  It seems to also help with the swelling.  There is still a fair amount of numbness there after 8 wks.  I keep buying cheapies that are lighter & lighter weight.  I just found two in Marshall's that have hook & eye crotches with an underwire top.  VERY comfortable & help with the br, too.  After the first few 2-3 weeks., no-go at night.  Just too darn itchy for me.

If your Dr. says no, yippee for you!  Then just do what's comfortable.

Most Active