green stuff on the gauze?!? help!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/11/09 9:59 am - OH
When I changed the bandaging on my "crater" (from my TT incision turning necrtoic) this morning, instead of the usual yellowish-tan colored stuff on the gauze, it was bright green!  Like someone had dipped parts of it in lime jello!  I have never heard of this, and have no idea whether I need to do something (e.g., call the surgeon) or not!  The wound looks fine (although it has been very sore the past couple of weeks, the surgeon reassured me that this is normal as it heals... plus I have been doing a lot of bending doing house cleaning and yard work).  I just looked at it again and today the color on the gauze seems to be usual (perhaps a bit more bloody but I washed it pretty thoroughly after I saw the green stuff this morning!)... but I'm still a little freaked out by it.

Anyone have any idea why the GREEN?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/09 6:38 pm
gypsywoman6789
on 4/11/09 10:21 pm - Hudson, NH
Definitely call your Dr.  green is not a good sign.  It doesn't matter that its the weekend, they will have someone on call  to answer your questions.
akers123
on 4/13/09 7:49 am - Charlotte Hall, MD
What did you find out Lora.  Hope its not infection which was my first thought when I heard green.  Will be thinking about you!!
Kristi Akers
Gastric Bypass - Feb 6, 2004
Lower Body Lift - Feb 25, 2009
Breast Lift/Lipo - Dec 7, 2009
Upper Body Lift/Arms - Feb 23, 2011

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/13/09 9:28 pm - OH

It's a particular kind of bacteria that causes the distinct lime green color. The surgeon was not concerned since the wound looks ok, but suggested that I go back to cleaning (with anti-bacterial soap, of course) and dressing it twice a day instead of just once a day. I see him for a follow-up next week anyway, so unless the wound starts to get angry between now and then, he will just check it on Tuesday.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active