Anyone willing to share?

jhadden
on 4/10/09 2:34 pm - Danbury, CT
Hello Friends,
I am about 1.5 years out, lost 110 lbs. and hate my body!  I am almost as ashamed of it now as I was fat.  Sure, I am in a size3, but I still have a fat stomach and my butt is saggy.  I want plastics so badly, but just lost my job.  I am going to try and get insurance to cover it (I know, good luck) and I was wondering if anyone who was approved would share their letter to the insurance company with me.  I am not exactly sure what to say in order to help myself get approved.  I know my doc has to write one too.  Since surgery I have had two hernia repairs.  I have heard people say that if you have hernias, they are more likely to approve you.  I don't really understand why, though.  Is this true?

I don't mean to sound vain, but after losing all this weight, I had hoped to like my body for once in my life and be proud of it.  Instead, I am just as ashamed and miserable.  I really, really want the surgery.  Any ideas how I can get it covered?  Also, what is the difference between a lower body lift, a full body lift and just a tummy tuck?  I think I need it all!

Thanks for your help in advance!
Mousie

Baby Text

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/09 7:10 pm
gypsywoman6789
on 4/11/09 9:33 am - Hudson, NH
my insurance company didn't require that I write a letter, just that my dr's submit a letter along with treatment notes from my pcp and rny dr's.

If you look on these boards and on these forums you will find lots of info on the differences between all the various procedures. 

I can't comment on the hernia piece since I didn't have one.  But it seems to me like it is easier to get the muscle tightening piece covered by insurance if you have a hernia, because of course in order for them to repair the hernia they have to repair the muslce where the hernia occured.

Have multiple consults before you decide on a surgeon and good luck.  Some insurances make you jump through hoops others are quick to make a decision. My insurance compnay approved my procedure within 2 days or receiving the paperwork from my PS - that is unheard of but I was thrilled.

Good luck
Danielle H.
on 4/13/09 1:39 am - Atlanta, GA

LBL - is a lift of the butt, outer hips and low back in addition to the tummy tuck.

Full body lift is usually done in stages but can include arms, thighs, upper back, lower back, tummy tuck and butt lift depending on the surgeon.

Tummy tuck has a few options as well - mommy makeover tuck is just the lower incision, there's an extended, where surgeon goes a little more around hips, then there's fluer de lis with cut down center of tummy in order to get a waist (in addition to mommy low cut)

I was self pay for everything.  I lost 105 lbs from my high weight.  I can say that i had to do a lot of work around my own mind through counselling before I took on plastics - its not the end all be all - you have scar issues and may never fully accept your body if you can't deal with your body now.  I only hated the overhang on the panni - I think we have to accept our bodies before we can make more adjustments - if you've not done mental work around this I'd definitely look into it.  I don't know how you could have a ton of skin if you're a size 3, but I know its all our own perception too.

A consult with a surgeon is the fastest way to see what they would do and get pricing - in addition to seeing what your insurance policy says - mine excludes all PS.  Good luck!

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

Peach
on 4/13/09 9:36 pm - savannah, GA
Mousie,
First let me congratulate you on your massive weight loss. You have come such a long way and you should be very proud of your acomplishment. I also want you to know that I totaly UNDERSTAND how you are ashamed of your body now.
I lost 190 lbs over a 2 1/2 year period and although I looked and felt better I had to dress a certain way to cover the loose skin issues.
I self paid for plastics 6 short weeks ago. I had them done in Mexico all at one time & there are pics on my profile if you want to take a look. I cannot begin to tell you the difference it has made in my emotional well being. I am so very happy with y results so far. No longer do I have cottage cheese hanging off my inner thighs and all that skin from my abdomin is gone...and so much more. SOOOO the bottom line and what I am trying to convey to you is keep your chin up girlfriend. There is hope for you and you will be happy with your body one day!

Jamie K.  SW  /  CW / GW
360 / 157 /  150  
Plastics 3/3/09 In Monterey MX.

Most Active