10 Day Post Op Visit and Swelling

gypsywoman6789
on 4/17/09 10:21 am - Hudson, NH
Had my 10 day follow up today.  Surgeon was happy with my progress and healing.  He snipped the ends of my disolvable sutures that were sticking out at the ends of my incisions thankfully because the one at the top of my vertical line was driving me CRAZY!

He said I might have some fluid build up in my midsection but not to the extent that he was worried aobut it and he didn't want to try and drain it.  He said it would resolve on its own.  Told me to wear my binder for another 3 weeks minimum to help with the swelling.

The nurse suggested taking Advil therapeutically 3 times a day to help with the swelling.  I didn't realize I could take Advil yet since the surgery.  She told me after 48 hours it was fine to take it.  She said I could take 400-800 mg depending what I was comfortable with, three times a day, to build up a therapeutic dose in my system to help resolve the swelling so I'm definitely going to do that.

Has anyone else been given this advice of taking Advil 3 x day to resolve the swelling?  Just curious.
Kelly V.
on 4/17/09 10:31 am - Galion, OH

Isn't Advil a Nsaid?  We aren't suppose to take those.  My doctor prescribed Celebrex which is a nsaid but suppose to be better than the regular.

I have been taking Bromelain and Arnicane (herbal medicine) which has not really helped.  I still can't get my feet into shoes and I am 5 weeks out.

I have not tried the Celebrex this time around but did take it with my arms and had no swelling.  I will start taking it and see if it helps.

totalfreedom
on 4/17/09 11:28 am - Northern CA
I agree, RNY'rs CANNOT take advil.  Check with your WLS or support group through your RNY program.  When I begged for Ibuprofen when I had Bursitis, my nurse only allowed me two days of liquid motrin AND I had to take prilosec for 2 weeks.

I have been taking bromelaine and arnica.  I am 3 1/2 months out and still have swelling issues.

Good luck,

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

cbhjr98
on 4/17/09 12:40 pm
My German doc (surgeon) prescribed IBprofen 800 - 3 times a day but to always take it w/ an RX antiacid. Dont know if it helps cuz I only take it once a day. I'm too nervous to take it more often even though a second American doctor told me to take 400s 3 x a say for the swelling if I wasn't comfortable taking 800s (or if it upset my pouch) because of the swelling benefit. Both said as long as it wasn't long term, it would be better for me than not good for my pouch.

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
gypsywoman6789
on 4/17/09 9:35 pm - Hudson, NH
Thanks, I had kinda forgotten that we RNY'ers aren't supposed to take Advil because the only time I do take it is when I've got my period and even then I don't need to take alot or for any extended amount of time.

I will check in with my RNY program and see what they have to say.
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/09 12:39 am
gypsywoman6789
on 4/20/09 1:25 am - Hudson, NH
Thanks.  I do love my wedding pics.  Probably the first time in my adult life I didn't mind having my photo taken!  Wish I could have had my plastics before that event but that's ok, the dress was flowy enough that you couldn't see the "belly from hell" lol.

I'm 14 days out now and some of the scabs are coming off finally which is nice since the incisions look alot worse with all that dried blood stuck on there.  Alot of it is stuck in the glue.  I've had a few stiches work their way to the surface which I just plucked out. 

I had a rough weekend, lots of swelling, but feeling alot better today.  Will be taking new pics soon.  I still have to post my before and 1 wk out pics!  Hopefully today!
Danielle H.
on 4/20/09 3:40 am - Atlanta, GA
I'm behind too - congratulations! The wedding pics are beautiful.  Can't wait to see your plastics pics!  So glad you're doing well, just keep hanging in there - it will get better!

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

Most Active