urgh - dissappointed with tummy tuck

jenbow2
on 3/30/11 1:44 pm
Hello everyone.. I am really confused. I had a tummy tuck in December and for the most part it looks good but I still have alot of fat.    I thought it might be skin but I spoke to a new plastic surgeon and he said it was fat.. this new dr said I should of done lipo first.  Now I need to make a decision to have lipo now...  he said I might have an issue with skin if I do lipo now.. so what is worse, skin or fat? 

This new dr said I need lipo on my flanks and my lower butt..  I was told by my Dr who did my TT that I need to have Belt Lipectomy to finish the product..  I have spent so much money and now  I am looking at another $6,000. I am soo confused.. anyone has any experience with this?  Any advice would help

Jen
valjuan16
on 3/30/11 3:50 pm - PASADENA, CA
No advise just I am having the same problem.  I had tt also in December.  I and still pinch an inch on my tummy and on the love hangles, still can grab.  I went back to my Dr. and asked about it.  He said that there is still some fat.  WHY DID HE LEAVE IT? I am gonna have a breast lift/implants so I want him to lipo it and tighten up the skin again.  I am also getting lipo on my thighs at the same time.  I hope this helps cause I don't have anymore money to fix this if it doesnt work.
God is good all the time!!

Gastric Bypass Dr. Troy La Mar  03/12/08
Anchor Cut,  Extended Tummy Tuck  Dr. Pearlman D. Hicks 12/17/10
Starting weight 265, Goal Weight 130, Current Weight 145.
muffin27
on 3/30/11 9:32 pm - Canada
levittown_loser
on 3/31/11 12:01 am - Levittown, PA
Have you spoke to your surgeon?  Maybe he will work with you to improve your results with no / minimum cost to you.   If you feel you were mislead with what results you would have then I'd speak to him first unless I was scared and didn't want him touching me again for some reason.  

I'm kind of confused why you would even put yourself through a TT if the doctor was telling you that you would need an LBL to finish the "product" YOU?      Why not the LBL from the get go and get the benefit of the outer thigh and ass lift at the same time?  

In any case I would probably not to lipo alone now without it being combined with what I would need to be "finished"

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Renee2007
on 3/31/11 1:19 am - Central, FL
 I agree with Muffin. Lipo alone can leave you with less fat and more loose skin, especially in WLS patients. Our skin is damaged and stretched and for many of us it has lost its elasticity. I think it would just be trading one issue for another. Without actually cutting and lifting i don't think you'd be satisfied with the results. 

I would also speak to my current surgeon and ask about revision work. Unless you are totally uncomfortable with him doing further work on you. He should cut you a break on costs with a revision. It never hurts to ask.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 4:02 am
Hi Jen.  Sorry you are not happy with your results, but I am going to tell you my experience with tummy tuck and lip.  I had WLS July 2008, I had my tt with lipo of flanks, breast lift with augmentation and lipo of thighs in August 2009.  I was very happy with my results at first, because all of the loose flabby skin was gone.  When I went back for a follow-up visit my doctor told me he didn't like the way my breast were sitting and he wanted to take some more off my belly.  I had my first revision six months after the original tt (2/2010).  I had my second revision 5 weeks ago.

It was explained to me that as a WLS patient we are more likely to need revisions because once our body start to heal and settle then the real results shows.  My doctor did my revision (2) without charging me extra.  I always had to pay the anesthesiologist and the hospital, but never my surgeon.

My first revision he lifted my breast and lipo of my flanks.  A couple of months ago I started feeling as though I had a huge belly and my love handles were growing out of control.  I had a consultation with a new surgeon and he explained that I had my tt too soon after my wls.  He stated my body is settling into it's true form and that's why I was looking bloated.  I went back to my plastic surgeon and told he I was not happy and once again he jumped at the opportunity to fix me.  I love Dr. Rothenberg, because he wants me to be happy with my body.  When I looked at my body after surgery I couldn't believe what he done.  He actually did extensive liposuction on my whole back without my request.  He also re cut me all the way across (hip to hip) and liposuction and remove excess skin from my belly.  He stated when he turned me over to remove the skin from my sides he didn't like the way my back looked. 

I have to respect him for caring about the results.  I know this was long, but I felt it was necessary to say all of this so you could understand that a revision is normal.

Good luck with your decision.

Sherline
jenbow2
on 3/31/11 12:12 pm
Thanks all

Well, I am went to my orignal Dr today and he could tell I was totalling freaking out. He said that the only way he could remove the skin on my is to do a vertical incision and he said he would not do that.  He says I look fine.. Go****hink I am going nuts.. maybe I am being too critical off myself.

In any regard, my dr told me he would not do lipo,, he is not a fan of lipo and he said I would look worse as it would cause more extra skin, He said I needed a posterior belt lipectomy.  the cost is $6700. 

the reason I did not do the tt and the belt lipectomy at one time is money.. I did not have money at the time and really still dont. I am getting it out of my IRA.    My dr also told me he prefers to do the tt and the belt lipectomy at two different stages.,  my dr also told me he did not want to perform surgery on me unless I went to see a few different dr to get opinions.  he said I needed to get my expectations in order..

anyway, who has had a belt lipectomy? and who is happy with results? lol.
Renee2007
on 3/31/11 1:08 pm - Central, FL
 "He said that the only way he could remove the skin on my is to do a vertical incision and he said he would not do that."

I'm just curious ...if he knew that skin could only be removed by the vertical incision...why didn't he do it in the first place? Is it just a procedure he's not comfortable in doing? It does make for a longer and more complicated tummy tuck but the results for some people are very much worth it. I guess my question is....why was making or not making the vertical incision his decision and not yours?

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

cleos_mom
on 3/31/11 10:55 pm - phila., PA
I had a belt lipectomy after a TT an my flanks & love handles r fine.
my PS doesnt do a TT & belt lipectomy at the same time (LBL), cause he says that u get better results doing them at 2 diffrent times, cause u r pulling against each other you pull hard on the front then they turn u over & pull on the back when I had the TT I had to walk hunched over for about a week, when I had the belt lipectomy I had to walk super straight for a week, I was glad I had them done seprately it was an added expense but I combined the BL with my brachio.

I did have lipo to my upper abd under my breasts after my TT and he told me my skin would not go back I would have sagging skin & I did but I had him tighten it up.
I am so pleased with my flat belly and all  my PS
Good Luck to you
Susan
jenbow2
on 3/31/11 1:34 pm
I dont know.. I was really never told about the other option. he told me today he did not think I would want the long scar going up and down that it looks too nasty. 
Most Active