sleeping after tummy tuck and bl/ba

angiep1980
on 5/8/11 10:53 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I'm scheduled for these procedures in two days.  I know I've read a recliner is the way to go for sleeping, but I don't own a recliner.  Has anyone not used a recliner and have suggestions?

I don't want to purchase a recliner, I have new furniture in my home.  Would it be best if maybe I rent one from like a household rental place?  Can you even rent something like that for just a few weeks?

Thanks for your help,
Angie
sonnieN
on 5/8/11 11:37 pm - grand rapids, MI
I borrowed a recliner and only slept in it for a couple of days as I didn't find them very comfortable. Once I was done w/ the recliner I moved to the couch w/ pillows behind my back and a couple under my lower legs and found this very comfortable. My couch was a little low to the ground and needed a little bit of help getting up the first few days I slept there but was able to figure out a way to schooch and move to do it by myself after about 2 days.
lk1970
on 5/8/11 11:48 pm
I didn't use a recliner either... I did what Sonnie did, used pillows under my knees and sometimes under my arms too.
Good luck!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

typingmom
on 5/8/11 11:50 pm

We moved a recliner into my bedroom to use after my anchor TT and brachioplasty but I really only got it in once. I was more comfortable in my bed with lots of pillows or on the couch. You will be fine without a recline, just have lots of extra pillows ready for you to make yourself comfortable.

Good luck!

angiep1980
on 5/9/11 1:30 am - Cincinnati, OH
Thank you ladies. 
NoMore B.
on 5/9/11 3:33 am
 I'm home recovering now.  I have a recliner and it is very handy - but I'm also ok on the sofa.  The key, as others have said, is to keep your legs in more of a bent position.  With plenty of pillows and blankets to prop yourself with you should be able to find a comfy position.  I could probably do the same in my bed, but my bed is high and I cant get in and out of it just yet.

You also want to make sure to cover your sofa with an old blanket or towel just in case you have any oozing or leakage.
Johanna !
on 5/9/11 6:21 am - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
I did not have the BL just the TT but I HATED the recliner!! i found it too difficult to get out of - that arm lever takes strength and AB muscles!!  I slept on my couch for a month!!  I had pillows and was able to support myself where I needed it etc.  You have to get up and move around after surgery so I thought the recliner was really hard to maneuver in and out of. 

I tried sleeping in my bed with pillows but found that the mattress was too high and there was just not enough support with pillows and was very uncomfortable - the back of the sofa provided good support!!

Don't forget you hae to be mobile after surgery so you should not be sitting arounf dor hours all day - you have to get up and walk around a little... every 15-30 mins...
Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

proudauntie
on 5/9/11 8:56 am - Honolulu, HI
I didn't use a recliner either.  I came home from surgery and went right to bed.  Just make sure you have lots of pillows to prop yourself up.
cleos_mom
on 5/9/11 10:45 am - phila., PA
I have a recliner but I went to bed  at night cause i sleep better & get better rest in bed just use lots of pillows under your knees & arms
Susan
avidreader
on 5/9/11 11:15 am - Cary, NC
I used the recliner some but had to have my husband open and close it.  I bought a wedge pillow for my head and put regular pillows under my knees.  HOWEVER, you need something under your rear - I almost got bed sores lying on my butt/back for 3 weeks.  I would also get a donut pillow for sitting on the couch, etc.   The donut pillow is one thing I did not have that I wish I did.

Good luck!!!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Most Active