Did anyone use Cigna? Also, what medications were prescribed pre-op?

sarah092080
on 5/24/11 9:38 pm, edited 5/24/11 9:40 pm - Cumming, GA
Hi, Im just getting started on all of this. I have 9 months before my Cigna insurance will consider paying for a tummy tuck. Im wondering if anyone else had to use Cigna and how they were to deal with? What did you have to submit?  Also, are there any specific ointments or medications I should start asking my pcp for that will help to get me approved. Any key words he should be documenting in my file? Iv already checked my coverage and I know what i "need" but any pointers to make it easier would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sarah

Jobsies
on 5/24/11 11:21 pm - Pitman, NJ

Sarah,
I was pleasantly surprised that I was approved so quickly.  After 16 months of fighting for my initial bariatric surgery....i had a small denial. They wanted proof that I had maintained my weight for at least six months and that my bariatric surgery(which they paid for and approved back in 08) was more than 18 months ago.

I sent in my last two recorded weights at my surgeon and my PCP and the pathology report from my bariatric surgery and then was approved within a few days.

I didn't really have documented rashes, however, the picture the PS surgeon sent DID have a rash and the hanging was low enough i guess.  OR it could be after I hired a lawyer to get my approval for bariatric surgery that they figured it wasn't worth pushing back? Not sure, but woohooo, surgery is scheduled for June 9th.

14 pounds lost before surgery. My first ticker is when I hit onderland: this was my goal when I started on this journey.  I want to focus on that right now...once I get there I can reevaluate.

My second ticker is my dream goal. Even if I only visit there for a short time, it would be nice to see that number just once.  I am pretty sure I'll need plastics to hit this goal.

BeautyisherGODgiven
name

on 5/25/11 4:36 am
I also have cigna and I am curious to know what you are having and why they did not consider it cosmetic. I do have it included in my policy but they said is could not be cosmetic
Follow my progress: www.youtube.com/user/livictori                           

sarah092080
on 5/25/11 11:01 am - Cumming, GA
Hi, its not considered cosmetic if your panni is hanging below your pubic line and is causing irritation to the skin. You have to get proof of this before sending in for approval. You need pics of panni and documentation from your pcp that it is causing skin irritation. Im trying to get advice from others with cigna to find out exactly what their documentation stated and what was prescribed for the irritations. That way I can ask for and document those meds.

(deactivated member)
on 5/25/11 12:35 pm - Yorktown, VA
I have Aetna, but it sounds like the requirements are the same.

I had my PCP document folliculitis and intertrigo.  He also prescribed two different creams.  One for a few months and then switched to another to demonstrate a good effort at trying medical treatment.  I'm not sure what they were, though.

I got approved right away and surgery is tomorrow.  EEK!

Good luck to you!
Most Active