tummy tuck in about 11 days, what helped u most during recovery?

mom_to_4boyz
on 8/27/11 3:10 am - CA
if all goes well at my pre-op apt i will be having my full tummy tuck sept 7. some additional info- my husband will be home to help me and to take care of our 4 boys (ages 12, 7,4,3) he has a bad back and wont be able to lift me if needed. so i am curiouse what you felt helped in your recovery? i dont have a recliner which i read seemed to help alot of you. will i need a walker since i dont have the luxury of a recliner or a husband that can lift me up of the couch? i dont have money to waste which is why i would like to know what really helped you out in the recovery phase. thanx =) also im doing it in the surgeons office (his surgical facility) and i will be awake, on drugs but still awake and sent home the same day. so if anyones been through that i would love to hear.
as of now my list of needs only contains my ready made protein shakes. so as you can see i need your ideas.

karma-4.jpg picture by keiratoutsupermomwifewomantired.jpg picture by keiratout     I'm a shorty at almost 5'3"

philliesphan
on 8/27/11 3:53 am
Hi, I had a TT/LBL almost 2 wks ago the most helpful thing for me was having A LOT of pillows on hand to prop myself up to positions that made it easier to get up, out of bed or off the sofa. Any pillows will do - hard ones, soft ones, decorative - whatever you've got.

Learn how to get up from lying down without using abdominal muscles before the procedure - e.g. roll onto side, feet on the floor and grab onto something sturdy like the arm of the sofa, chair or stepstool to push yourself up.  I'm not gonna lie - the first 2 days were extremely painful (for me) and I dreaded having to get up or even change positions.  After that it gets better I promise. 

In addition to the protein shakes it made me feel really good to heat & eat fresh chicken soup I made and froze a few days before the procedure.

Good luck to you and your team of caretakers - bad back and all!  It just helps having people around to get you things - keep track of meds & stuff like that.  

(-32 before RNY)                                 GOAL !

09free2beme
on 8/27/11 5:57 am - AK
Pupcake !.
on 8/27/11 6:47 am - Stranded in, IA
You can use a straight back chair as somthing to grab when standing up.  Put a bag of water softner salt on it.  Put it next to your chair/couch- instant siderail. 

Pillows- yep, lots.  I slept sorta propped up as I felt too tight to lay flat.

Raise your chair up 4" on 2x4's or stable books, add a 2nd couch/chair cushion where you are going to sit to raise you higher.

Use old panty hose tied around your waist to pin the drains to in the shower.

My husband didn't have to help me with any position changes.  Do you have any smaller square pillow you can use to splint your abdomen?

Good luck

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

NoMore B.
on 8/27/11 10:43 am
I agree with what everyone else said - plenty of pillows so you can prop yourself into a comfortable position whether it's on your sofa or in your bed.

The other thing to do is to take all your necessary items and put them at waist level on counters, so you dont have to stretch or bend to get anything.  Things like your protein powder, cups, snacks, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, cups....anything you need to get for yourself.
Jody ***
on 8/29/11 11:23 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
I had my TT and stayed with my daughter.  She was just newly pregnant so couldn't help me with much.  I slept on the couch the first few days and was able to get myself up and down.. Then I went to the bed up the stairs and did just fine.

The key is to wake  yourself up during the night (with a timer) and give yourself your pain meds. That made it MUCH easier to get up in the morning.  I didn't need any help with that.

You WILL need help with getting in/out of your compression garment the first week and with your shower after the first few days.

Good luck!  Let us know how your surgery goes.  I haven't heard of anyone who has been awake during it.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Most Active