Itching after panniculectomy 13 weeks ago

Lia D
on 9/28/11 2:03 am - Waldorf, MD
Hello all!

Has anyone been experiencing itching internally?  It is so horrible no matter how much I scratch I can not relieve the itch.  I am taking benedryl but I was wondering if anyone else is using something else or has any suggestions.  Thanks for responding!

Lia d
Lizzy25
on 9/28/11 3:02 am
Aw, I'm sorry. That really sucks. The itching feeling is your body remodeling the internal tissue that it replaced right after the surgery. When you have an injury your body heals it using a really quick, disorganized process to just get the wounds closed. But then after about 3 months the body starts re-organizing the wounds and moving in with more permanent 'keeper' tissue. Your body is switching out a lot of the collagen fibers and moving stuff around. Your nerves are regenerating too. It's a vulnerable time so be sure to take it easy and get lots of rest and protein.

Unfortunately I can't offer you any tips because I haven't had my TT yet but at least you know it's a sign you're healing!!
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
Lia D
on 9/28/11 5:11 am - Waldorf, MD
Thank you so much for the info Lizzy.  I didn't want to call my doctor because I knew it was a sign of healing but your details were very helpful.  Appreciate your responding and good luck on your upcoming surgery.  

Lia d 
Crazeru
on 9/28/11 6:40 am
When I started back on my Vit E, I think it really helped the itching feeling.  I kept wearing my garment so that I didn't do any damage on the outside.  I was taking Bendryl also.  I did make sure to use a lot of lotion on most of my skin to keep it moist and hopefully, some of it went down a layer or two.  The itching does stop.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active