Tummy tuck on Nov 15th ...help!!

Cris M.
on 10/29/11 7:33 am - Glen Burnie, MD
I am having my tummy tuck on Nov 15th and I could use any advice you all have. What should I buy ahead of time? Any helpful tips any of you might have? Thanks so much for any info at all.
Hugs, Cris

I had Gastric Bypass Jan 2010

Highest Weight 315
Surgery Day 268
Now 170

scottswife1997
on 10/29/11 7:50 am - Ardmore, OK
Congrats and good luck!

I had mine on the 12th and have done really well.  I would recommend buying some wife beater tank tops to wear under your compression binder.  It will help to keep the binder from rubbing on your incisions and it will help to keep your binder clean from any leakage that may occur.

I had all of my post surgical prescriptions filled before I had surgery, so I didn't have to worry about it once I got home.

For the most part I spent two weeks in a recliner with my meds and a large glass of water by my chair.  I would eat, sleep and drink in the chair.

I had four drains in my groing.  I would wear my husbands boxers and safety pin each of the drains to the waist band of his boxers.  You could probably do the same to the waist band of your pjs if you wanted.  You just have to be very careful when going to the bathroom to not pull your pants down fast....

I did stock up on protein drinks.  Doctor wanted me to have 3 a day after surgery.

Someone on here recommended pinning your drains to Mardi Gras beads when showering.  I think that is an awesome idea, but I couldn't find beads strong enough to support the weight of my drains.  Or at least I thought there were going to break. 

Other than that, I'm not sure of anything else.  Good luck! 
Holly

Cris M.
on 10/29/11 9:15 am - Glen Burnie, MD

Thanks so much holly for the info.  Hugs & God Bless =)

Laura in Texas
on 10/29/11 10:46 pm
I used lots of unscented maxipads. I got mine at the dollar store. Much cheaper than gauze for the incision. Plus it protected my binder and clothes from getting blood on them. I cut a slit through them for my drain sites.

I also loved my raised toilet seat.

Best wishes!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Jujuvee
on 10/30/11 3:37 am
I'm glad you repeted this suggestion as I have been thinking about this and could not remember how you did it. So is the sticky side on the skin. I'm confused.. Thanks

HW 405- Pre op weight 374- Plastics weight 203 Current weight 194

Circumferential lift/Brachioplasty November 8, 2011

16.3 pounds removed.

Revisions + Thighplasty  October 23, 2012

Breast lift- Spring 2013

Cris M.
on 10/30/11 10:41 pm - Glen Burnie, MD
Wonderful ideas thanks so much. Going to the dollar store today and now, I just gotta think of where to buy a raise for the toilet seat.  =)

I would think that the maxipad side would be against the skin and the sticky part could go on the gauze thats wrapped around it (or another lady suggested wife beaters to protect the binder so maybe I could put the sticky side on the t-shirt)
Laura in Texas
on 10/31/11 10:34 pm, edited 10/31/11 10:42 pm
I just used the pads up against my incisions partially to protect it from the binder and partially in case of bleeding (not much blood in my case, thanks to lots of glue). I did not stick it to the binder. I had the binder that hooked up the sides. After cleaning my incisions, I cut slits in the pads to go around my drains, then hooked the top hooks. i added the pads all the way around my lbl incision and then hooked up the sides. The binder held them in place. I also used them against my breast lift incisions and my sports bra held them in place. Saved a buttload of money. Gauze pads are expensive!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

KCooper22
on 10/29/11 11:38 pm - Manchester, MD
 I agree with Laura on the raised toilet seat   It was a big help.  Also, get plenty of rest and don't try to do too much too soon.  

Good luck and enjoy your new body!

Kim
(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 12:44 am
I second that on the toilet seat, walmart 21 bucks best deal I found. If you can get your hands on walker do it just in case. Get a few concentrated tubes of protein like 25 grams in 3oz. Those first couple days can be rough to eat anything, I don't know how the RYN will affect you but my sleeve I couldn't hardly eat a cracker for 3 days.

Good luck
Bubba
waitinggame
on 10/31/11 2:21 am - Bowie, MD
Hey Cris! Lots of great suggestions. Bubba mentioned a walker. I have a really  nice one if you want to have it just in case. Granted, there are no tassles or a bell, but it works great just the same! :) I did lean on it and use it to get up a few times in the first couple days. It also helps if you have animals that might decide jump up on you--I'd barricade myself in the recliner with it.

Get yourself a nice water bottle with a straw type top. Since I was semi-reclined, that helped me get a drink without having to lift up everytime I wanted one and of course then no spills.

Stay on top of your meds. Don't let the pain get ahead of you--hard to catch up once it's bad.

I can't recall if anyone mentioned it, but get yourself some good stool softeners and even some Miralax and start getting "cleaned out" and softened up the best you can now and STAY on them after the surgery. You do NOT want to be straining to go potty.

I got some good wipes and antibacterial hand gel to keep next to my recliner so I could freshen up my hands before eating if I wasn't feeling up to walking to wash my hands--which I wasn't. I could also use the wipes to freshen up otherwise too.

I used a fanny pack to put my drains in. It was nice not to have to worry about hooking and unhooking them every time to empty them--just grabbed the out of the bag. I also have a strip of velcro they gave me at the hospital that you can loop the drains on and it attaches very securely to the binder--also an option so you aren't pinning and unpinning. I'm happy to give you the velcro strip and fanny pack as well.

I did grab some nonperishable, high protein snacks to keep next to my recliner so I didn't have to bug my caregiver too much or if you will be alone so you don't have to get up too much. I got beef jerky and protein bars and those little ready to eat tuna and chicken salad lunch kits. I also kept a little cooler next to me with cheese sticks and greek yogurt  and bottled water to refill my straw bottle. I had the little wash basin thing from the hospital that I kept all my vitamins, meds, remotes, snacks, wipes, etc. That way nothing was flying off the table.

I was given a long handled grabby thing. That came in handy more than once. If I can find it you are welcome to use it.

I didn't actually have any bandages on my wound at all and it went all the way around, so don't know how I managed that. I had tons of bandages, tape, you name it and used none of it.

That is all I can think of for now. I'll chime in again if I think of anything!

Talk to you soon!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Most Active