How do you sleep after an LBL and BA?

Suite1
on 12/11/11 10:16 am - Dayton, OH
Did you sleep in a recliner?  Your usual bed?   I'm not scheduled until early March, but this question just nags at me.  I didn't have a recliner in my hospital room after my RNY and believe I would have slept much better with one.   We don't have one at home.

I just wonder how you can get comfortable with an incision running the entire circumference of your body.  I also heard that the breast augmentation seems to affect your abs & core muscles as well making it almost impossible to sit up without assistance for a couple of days.

Any thoughts?
HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

MikeyMike
on 12/11/11 10:42 am - New York, NY
I had the LBL. Also had muscle repair on the abs. I slept in a recliner for 2 1/2 weeks. Just started sleeping in the bed a couple of days ago. I used to sleep on my side but I find I can only sleep on my back at this point.  

Sleeping on the incision didn't bother me as much as getting in and out of the chair. Just had to do it very slowly. I never needed assistance again just had to do it very slowly to figure out the best way to manage getting up and sitting down.

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

ericaFG
on 12/11/11 11:57 am - Cambridge, Canada
 I had TT (extended) and arms.  I had strong legs from running.  And NO WAY would I have been able to get in and out of my bed at first.  A hospital bed is one thing - my bed at home?  No way.  I slept in my recliner.  I have one of those medical ones from my grandpa that lifts you right up - that was a bonus.

I know a friend rented a chair like that from a medical supply place.  Less than $100 for the month.  That's an option.  Or for that price, you might be able to pick up a decent second hand recliner?  But I'm bed-bug paranoid...so I avoid used stuff like that....
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Jujuvee
on 12/11/11 2:22 pm
I rented a lift recliner from a home health supply store for 90 bucks a month. It along with the high rise toilet was the best investment ever!!

HW 405- Pre op weight 374- Plastics weight 203 Current weight 194

Circumferential lift/Brachioplasty November 8, 2011

16.3 pounds removed.

Revisions + Thighplasty  October 23, 2012

Breast lift- Spring 2013

Laura in Texas
on 12/11/11 10:48 pm
I had a lbl/bl. I used my mom's adjustable bed. It was a godsend. I was able to get in and out of bed by myself as soon as I got home (day 3). I slept on my back with my head and feet elevated. The worst part was that it was hard to get comfortable with my buttock auto-augmentation. I don't think I was able to sleep on my side until week 6.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Suite1
on 12/12/11 3:58 am - Dayton, OH
Thanks all.   Sounds like renting a lift recliner may be the way to go.   I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions as I move forward.  Appreciate any and all tips & advice!!!

newalpha
on 12/12/11 4:47 am
Regular recliner following LBL and Thigh Lift. Not a problem. Pain meds for 36 hrs after discharge.
Crazeru
on 12/12/11 6:20 am
I was in the clinic for 7 days with a hospital bed, then went to the hotel for a week.  When I came home I could get in and out of my waterbed by myself.  I slept mostly on my back.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Britt U.
on 12/12/11 1:00 pm - Mill Creek, WA
 I ended up staying with my mom for a few days. I considered renting a recliner or taking one from my house but thought I'd be ok since I'd had abdominal surgery and a c-section before. Turns out it was well over a week before I could sleep in a bed and even then it was with a reading pillow, pillow under each arm and pillow under the knees. I slowly went back to sleeping flat although I sometimes start reclining and use a pillow between my knees when on my side (I always do anyway).

Tried to use the bed at my mom's and couldn't even get into it. Trying to lay back while lifting my legs, even having her lift my legs was way too painful. Actually one of the rare times where the lbl incision bothered me. Mostly it's just numb even now. Sometimes the back pulls and is uncomfortably. It's where the incision meets my hip bones before going around the back that sensitive. I'm stretched so tight there and the original zippered garment rubbed. All in all the ba/bl was what was painful. The pecs and the areole incisions and all he pressure under my breasts from the garments. Really surprised me that the muscle repair and massive incision just didn't bother me aftervthevfirst few days of healing.

At my mom's what ended up workin was a chair with ottoman. She got me a little half round knee pillow and I still used pillows under my arms and behind my head. To get up I could kick the ottoman out a little, put my legs down and slowly prop up. She had a walker that I used for the first 2-3 days which also helped pulling myself up. I bought a p-style which was fantastic for bathroom.

At home I used a chaise lounge until I got back to my bed propped up and eventually flat. Im just over 3 weeks out now. I liked our recliner but didn't want to sleep in it, the chaise with pillows was more configurable. 

My mom found one of those neck pillows, the stuffed kind, not the blowup kind. Wish I'd had that from the start.

Suite1
on 12/13/11 2:12 pm - Dayton, OH
How many of you had outpatient surgery?  If you were admitted, how long?   Thanks so much for all of your input

Most Active