Seromas, Open Incisions Yuck!

Raven300
on 12/19/11 7:19 am
 Hi All!

I posted pix of my wound progress in my profile.  They are not pretty so be warned. I'm posting for educational purposes and to pay it forward for those that have posted their wound pics previously. 

I am almost 6 weeks out from my LBL and BL and am having a bit of a slower recovery than some of you.  I have multiple seromas in both the front and back. I have spit a ton of stitches (sometimes 6 inches in one day).  I have had wounds open up on the front and back of my LBL incision line.

As always, the board here has been a tremendous source of information and support.  Thanks to the wonders of google search, I think I have read almost every post about seromas, wound care, opening and the emotional rants that go along with these problems that have been posted on OH for the last 4 years.  Reading the stories of  and advice given  to the members here has helped keep me calm as I heal up.

I'm cleaning and packing the wounds myself (my husband helps with the one in the back). I am keeping up my protein and vits and have increased my calorie intake dramatically. I'm wearing my binder, not lifting anything or stretching, and just taking it easy in my recliner most days.  I'm doing my best to be patient and wait for the healing goodness to take care of things.

I wish I could say that I got the seromas drained but although I got my surgery done in Houston, I live in a foreign country that thinks seromas shouldnt be drained.  This has been frustrating. I had one seroma develop in the breast during my two week recovery in the US. The nurse found it with an ultrasound machine and the doc easily used a needle to drain it. No pain, no problem. Here, they keep talking about the danger of infection.  It is baloney, but I have to just deal with it.

On the plus side - the surgeon took off 13lbs of excess skin. 
can see my pubic area again without having to lift a bunch of wrinkled skin.  My rear no longer looks like a sharpei.  

enaebmik
on 12/19/11 8:01 am
I am sorry you are having such a tough time.  I am planning for plastics this spring and am trying to arm myself well before making any final decisions.  I would love to see your pics.  I have sent a friend request.

Thanks,
Kim
Raven300
on 12/19/11 8:19 am
Enaebmik, approved your friend request. Sorry I didn't realize anyone needed to be a friend to see the photos.

I THINK that I have made the photos public now.  Sometimes I have been too shy in the past to send friend requests so hopefully everyone that wants to look at the open incisions can.

I hope in a month or so to be able to post very proud before and after pictures.

kate789
on 12/19/11 9:39 am - Colorado &, NY
 After my LBL I got some fat necrosis that developed within a week. It has finally, well almost, closed up entirely, but this is exactly what it looked like while it was healing so I think you're on the right track.
When I first went to see the doc it hadn't opened yet but he had a suspicion it was fat necrosis and gave me some antibiotics on top of the other antibiotics I was taking post surgery. Then 2 days later I stood up from bed and all of a sudden felt something warm running down my leg and it had broken through the incision (and it smelled like the worst combination of everything icky on this plant). OH MY LORD. My surgeon just had me come in and he manually drained it, gave me a huge dressing that included a surgical towel then gave me a prescription for an antibiotic lotion on top of the other 2 I was taking. His advice made me feel better "Better out than in." He also told me hot (not too hot) compresses many times a day were good because they draw the fluid out and help with swelling. I didn't use a medivac or whatever they call it and had to manually drain them by pushing for the next 3 weeks... I'm sorry you haven't been able to be near your PS with all this going on- mine is around the corner and I was literally there every other day so I'm sure it's unsettling to be so far away. Did you see another surgeon at home when this developed?
From your pictures it honestly looks SO similar to what I have but I guess our doctors are the medically trained ones so I shouldn't make any guesses. 
I replied a couple weeks ago to someones post on something like this and I honestly can't remember if it was you or not. I think the though.
 I really really hope you feel better soon. Even if they are different, I understand how annoying it is to have your healing process put on hold. Best of luck!
And by the way, I second your "lifting of skin" comment- it's so nice to finally see what that all looks like.
 Kate 

godzilla
on 12/19/11 8:16 pm - Israel
I hear you on the long slow healing process and annoyances.
Been there but not extensive as yours sounds.
Happy Healing and Positive Energy!
I had a slough that turned to a gangrene maybe the size of a dime until it was opened and debrided and treated with WoundVac ( then it measured 7cm across 3cm up and down, and 4cm deep) that we fenagled my long stay in hospital as opposed to returning home alone.
My Abdominoplasty was 8/08/11 and I was readmitted on 12 Sep and released
27/10/11. I preferred being in hospital although lonely than being home and frightened.
I'm happy for you for hubby help.
Happy Holidays,
Mikimi in Israel
Raven300
on 12/22/11 7:36 am
 Thank you for you words of encouragement, Mimi.  I'm glad to hear that you are home now. That is one long hospital stay!  Hope you are doing awesome and enjoying your results!
Most Active