Financing

Jmoore6911
on 1/30/12 5:49 am - York, PA
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question... how did you go about financing your surgeries? I was trying to look into different companies for loans... have any of you used medloanfinancing? I looked them up and seen some compliants that have me second guessing them...

Thanks!
glamour_04
on 1/30/12 6:58 am - Abilene , TX
 I have seen alot of people use Carecredit my plastic surgeon recommended it as well! I know its so expensive to put down the money for these surgerys im debating what to pay for as well. Hope this helps!

http://www.carecredit.com/ 
     I Dont Skinny Dip I Chunky Dunk!        
JustLookingToo
on 1/30/12 7:17 am, edited 1/30/12 7:19 am - AL
As mentioned, CareCredit seems to be pretty easy to get. Seems like I read of people with scores under 600 getting approved, but that may have been before the economy changed. I know that you can get approved with a 600-700 score. You can check your credit for free at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

If your husband or other family member is the one who gets the credit through Care Credit, you (as a family member) can use that line of credit, but the person who is primary on the account will need to go into the surgeon's office and show two forms of ID. They send a credit card, but you still have to have the primary person go in. 

I remember that you may be interested in residency programs, and I know that some of them don't use CareCredit, so be sure to check before wasting your time (and a hard inquiry) applying with CareCredit. Also note that many surgeons do not offer the entire line of CareCredit plans. For instance, many will only do the six month free interest program and the program that charges a fixed interest. I believe they do this to help keep people from making bad decisions and getting in over their heads on the two or three year interest free programs. Many people think they can swing such a program, when, in reality they end up in default that results in huge interest payments.

Another good place to get a quick loan is lendingclub.com. I have used them twice over the years, and they are a peer lending group where people pitch in to fund your loan. You pay the loan back in either three or five years. The rate depends on your credit, but I found them to be very competitive. I paid both of my loans back very early, and there was no problem doing that. Both times, I used them as a temporary loan until I could get my hands on other money that I had available, but they would be great to use even if you go the entire three or five years. They just deduct your payment from your checking account.

There are always zero or low interest credit cards, income tax refunds, and stuff like that, too. It's amazing how people come up with the money to do expensive surgery, but it can be done, even if it means saving for a couple of years or taking a second job. Good luck!

Most Active