Panniculectomy prior to weight loss

stormechaser
on 2/26/12 6:50 am
DS on 06/08/17
I am looking into a revision surgery as I have gained back nearly all my lost weight from a VSG. However, I am having a bad problem that I never had before.

My pannus has become very painful and weighs heavily on my thighs when I sit-especially at work where I sit 8+ hrs a day. I get a burning pain in my thighs and it scares me as I tested positive for Factor V Leiden blood clotting issues. Never had a clot personally, but my sister is blood thinner dependent for life and has had numeours DVTs and PEs.  It's pulling on my lower back and creating more pain where I already have spondylitis issues.

(I have psoriatic arthritis. I'm doing okay on Humira and methotrexate, but I still hurt and take naproxen daily.)

Is it heard of to have a panniculectomy for these reasons? I should also add that I have terribly severe psoriasis and the underside of the pannus is excoriated and difficult to treat.

Any thoughts?

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

Andi190827
on 2/26/12 10:26 am, edited 2/26/12 10:27 am - Fort Leavenworth, KS
 I dealt with rashes/infections under my panni for years before I had WLS. But nothing as painful as you describe (hugs). I was hoping the weigh loss might help but nope. I'm still dealing with the rashes even 4.5 years post-WLS. So my next step is to finally get rid of the problem, my panni, hopefully next month.

If the pain is that bad, for me, I'd seriously think about doing the panni now. Of course after you lose more weigh, a revision or full TT may be in your future. Maybe removing the panni is something the surgeon can do while revising the WLS? Though I honestly don't now if you can do the two surgeries together?

Sorry I'm no help but wanted to wish you well.
Andi
Andi Highest 278 lbs, Pre-op 269 lbs, Goal/Current 150/160 lbs
Currently looking into plastics...

Change the voices in your head... Make them like you instead.

Most Active