Scar creams, silcone strips and gels....

Tess145
on 5/2/12 7:30 am - Senatobia, MS
What worked for you?  There are so many choices of scar creams, gels and strips that I am not sure what I should purchase for after surgery healing.  What did you use?

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

kathkeb
on 5/2/12 5:25 pm
Nothing
My surgeon calls me "super healer" .

I don't have keloids and my scars from my breast lift and arms (16 months ago) are just about invisible.

My band scars were invisible by 1 year lost op.

My tt scar is already very flat and thin. I can't feel it with my fingertips in about 50% of it and I a, only 8 weeks out.

My doc recommends waiting ..and does not let you use anything for the first 6 to 8 weeks, and then if you ned it he gives samples.
Kath

shamr0ck
on 5/2/12 11:13 pm
Adjustable Gastric Band on 12/20/10
I had a horrid scar where they removed my thyroid.  The surgeon recommended Mederma, which didn't really help me at all.  1 year post, my dermatologist suggested Scar-Away silicon strips, and they made an amazing difference.  When my best friend had her thyroid removed last year, i got her a care package that included these strips, and her scar is almost invisible.

I'm 8 weeks post LBL right now, and started using the silicon strips at 6 weeks, per my doctor's instructions.  It seems to be helping, the scar is almost invisible in several spots, and much less red than i expected at this stage.
Highest weight - 224   Surgery weight - 201   Current weight - 155
Goal - (surgeon) 155; (personal) 138-bodyfat 20%

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/2/12 11:44 pm, edited 5/2/12 11:46 pm
Mederma didn't help me either. I use the Gene cream from Sam's but would like to know where you bought the Scar-away. Thanks! The Gene cream works well on my thighs and Tummy! It made a huge difference with my arms, but I need something for behind my ears.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

shamr0ck
on 5/2/12 11:51 pm
Adjustable Gastric Band on 12/20/10
I order from Amazon.  They seem to have the best prices.
Highest weight - 224   Surgery weight - 201   Current weight - 155
Goal - (surgeon) 155; (personal) 138-bodyfat 20%

jeterway
on 5/3/12 11:06 am
I use a product called kelo-cote recommended by my surgeon.  Expensive but good stuff.  The scars on my abdomen are almost gone in most spots - surgery was last August.  A spot that was reopened in March is also rehealing nicely.  I buy it on amazon.  A little bit goes a long way.  The larger 2 ounce tube is the most cost effective.  You just have to be diligent with using it daily.

ChaChaCha
on 5/3/12 1:13 pm - Cleveland, OH
My surgeon says none of the products on the market really do much.  He said I could buy vitamin E oil or cocoa butter--doesn't matter.  The key is daily scar massage in a circular motion.  But of course I bought Mederma and silicone strips.  The strips drove me CRAZY--appying them, removing them, washing them, and I found that they started to smell a bit.  So my patience level with those lasted 2 days.  So if you want them, send me your address!  I'll gladly send you the remainder of my box.  I have been using Mederma (the 1x daily gel) but I've only been using it for a month.  Hard to tell a difference.  I do massage my scar line daily.
          "We live in a society where it's more socially acceptable to be a junkie than it is to be overweight."     --CC Deville, guitarist for Poison    
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/12 5:24 pm - OH
When I had my panni, I tried an experiment and used Mederma on one section, Vitamin E oil on another section, silicon strips on the third, and just my normal moisturizer on the last area.  After a month of this, there was VERY little difference between the sections, and if I was forced to choose one that looked  ANY better than the others, it would have been the section with just the moisturizer.

My plastic surgeon said he did not think any of the special products really do much, and -- for me at least (and I generally heal up moderately well) -- it appears to be true.  I know that some people swear by a particular product,but part of the reason I did my experiment is that most people have no idea how they would have healed WITHOUT using whatever scar treatment they selected, so they really cannot say whether it truly helped or not!

All of my incisions from all of my surgeries (except my tummy tuck, which turned necrotic and looks more like a burn scar) are very thin white lines.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active