PS questions... BA/BL and arm lift

furiosmommy
on 2/19/13 12:44 am - Phoenix, AZ

I'm hoping to have a BL/BA and an arm lift simultaneously in the next few months.

I was wondering what recovery was like for those that had those two surgeries together.

I have a pretty independent 3.5 year old and 1 year old twins. I'm their primary caregiver and I'm concerned about how long I'll need help. My twins aren't walking yet, so they are pretty dependent and about 20 lbs each. I'm sure I won't be able to lift them for a while. 

I'm also wondering about pain management. I'm post VSG so I need to be mindful of that. I'm not big on taking pain meds and I have a high threshold for pain. What is a good OTC medication I could take for pain management post PS?

Any other tips or advice you have would be appreciated! Thanks!

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

sonnieN
on 2/19/13 2:49 am - grand rapids, MI

I've had both surgeries just not together. You'll need help lifting the 1 year olds. I wasn't allowed to lift more than a pound for the first few weeks. W/ the arms had limited motion so couldn't reach more than shoulder height at the most. As for the pain, those were the 2 easiest as far as pain. I really had no pain with those two. Maybe a zing w/ the BA/BL when nerves were regenerating but no long lasting pain.

furiosmommy
on 2/19/13 2:58 am - Phoenix, AZ

Good to know, thanks Sonnie!

VSG 1/4/2011

Laura in Texas
on 2/19/13 10:54 am

Have you had a consult? What does your surgeon say? Honestly I would wait. I don't think I was allowed to hold anything more than 10 pounds for at least 3 months.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lisas_Journey
on 2/19/13 11:50 am - NY

I am 2 wks out from having both surgeries.  The pain is definitely tolerable.  Not bad at all.  My Dr did some lipo to the thighs which is where I am experiencing the most pain, but that is not that bad either.  I don't know that I would have done the surgery while taking care of 3 little ones.  My dr advised me not to pick up even a gal of milk, to avoid pressure on the incisions, and further scarring.  If you are going to have it done, make sure you have enough help around to care for the little ones.  I also had VSG, and needed the pain meds in the beginning, just to be comfortable.  I stayed in the hosp for 2 nights, and my nurse advised me to ask Dr if advil was ok, and to take it not only for pain relief but for the anti-inflammatory.  I have had a very positive experience so far.  I see the Dr tomorrow and my only issue is swelling in my legs.  

Lisa's Journey
267 lbs Pre-Lapband 10/10; 217 Post Lapband 7/11
New path in my Journey: 230 Pre-VSG scheduled for 9/12/11

bamabelle16
on 2/19/13 9:09 pm
I had those 3 procedures done at once. I was in great shape having been strength training and extensive cardio for a year prior to surgery. The pain wasn't bad, some nerve electocutions in right breast on occasion, managed with meds, but you do have limited range of motion in arms and upper body for 6 weeks or so. I would not pu**** as each person recovers differently. Mental, physical, nutrition preparation are keys to success. All my ps work has been done outpatient. Just had fdl/lbl last week and am doing fabulous! Drs poster child patient. Btw I am 57! Good luck!
furiosmommy
on 2/20/13 4:15 am - Phoenix, AZ

That's great Bamabelle! 

I'm scheduled for April 3rd for both procedures. My surgeon is aware of my situation, but he feels I'll be ok. 

Both will be outpatient in my surgeon's surgery center. I've been working out (weights and cardio) pretty vigorously since my twins were born a year ago (just finished a half marathon). I'm hoping my body condition and the fact that I tend to be a fast healer will see me through! I think i'll be teaching my twins to crawl up and down my stairs in the next 6 weeks so that I don't have to worry about carrying them up and down. 

As of right now the plan of action is doing nothing 2 weeks post op and letting my husband take over. After that I'll be on my own but certainly be changing diapers on the floor and waiting for my hubby to do the heavy lifting. I think i'll be ok, just need to take it easy and not lift! 

Thanks for the input!

VSG 1/4/2011

Most Active