What should I do ?

melizabeth
on 3/19/13 11:33 am - CA
12 Days post op extended TT. Yessterday I had JP drains removed. Today a lot of swelling and heat below binder on my hips an butt. What should I do?

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

firefly2000
on 3/19/13 12:51 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12

Call your PS and tell him your symptoms. When I had my drains removed my PS told me that my drain incisions might "weep" a little which is normal, he covered them with a small piece of gauze to protect the openings. Then we wrapped my stomach very tightly with my abdominal binder to control swelling, and advised me NOT to remove my binder for at least 24 hours.

Could you have irritated your drain incisions? Are they covered, or protected from rubbing up against anything? Also, is your binder tightly wrapped, and providing enough pressure? It's still very important to take it easy as you are still in the very early stages of healing. Seromas, and late onset bleeding are things that could happen, and that should be looked for both by you and your surgeon. 

Keep us posted!

Lesley

melizabeth
on 3/19/13 3:01 pm - CA
Lesley, today when I changed the gauze on a bandage over one of the holes that the jp drain was removed from it bled dark blood all down my leg, panties and pajama bottoms, as well as the floor. I had to hold a was cloth on the opening for a long while. Then I changed the gauze and bled again. Finally it stopped but the gauze is bloody. I just left it afraid if I took it off it would bleed again. I will cal ps in the morning.

Melizabeth

firefly2000
on 3/19/13 10:16 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12
Call your PS ASAP! Maybe your drains were taken out too early? How much fluid were you collecting in your drains each day? I was told that my drains would not be removed until I was collecting less than 25ml total for the day, which took 11 days post op.
Keep us posted!
Lesley
emelar
on 3/20/13 1:45 am - TX

Keep pressure on the spot and call your surgeon.  It really does sound like he took them out too soon and you're having a build-up of fluid.  I don't believe they can re-insert the drains - you just have to wait for your body to catch up and absorb/eliminate it all.  My drain holes leaked after the drains were removed, but nothing close to what you're describing.

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/20/13 2:41 am

I hope you've called your surgeon!  Please update us when you get the chance.  The heat is really worrying, because that can be a sign of infection. 

Always best, when in doubt, to let your surgeon check it out. 

(hey, that rhymed...)

Take good care.  I'm sending lots of healing vibes your way!!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

melizabeth
on 3/20/13 4:29 am - CA

UPDATE:  When I woke up this morning the swelling was down and the heat.  I called my PS, he said to take my temperature and change the dried blood gauze then call him back.  When I changed the gauze NO bleeding!!!  Also, I have NO temperature.  Good news.  I bought some mini pads and cut them in thirds to use instead of gauze and tape.  This way they stick to my panties and not my skinkiss

Thank you all for your help.

Melizabeth

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/20/13 5:40 am

Thanks for taking the time to update!  I hope your healing continues smoothly. 

Clever idea on the pads, by the way!  I'll have to remember that one!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

firefly2000
on 3/20/13 9:40 am - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12

So happy to hear that things are better! I was thinking about you all day!!! I remember that the nurse said to me regarding draining fluid, "Better out, than in!" Please take it easy, and always call your Dr. if you have any questions or concerns!

Happy healing!

Lesley

Amy Smith
on 3/21/13 12:58 am

Thanks for the update!  I was thinking about you!  Hope for a smooth recovery!

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

Most Active