BARs procedure

sassygirl1410
on 9/18/14 6:01 am
RNY on 02/28/13

Hi-- Has anyone had a BARs procedure?  It's essentially a procedure that repairs recurrent hernias, the separation of the abdominal muscled (diatasis recti) and can be part of an abdomiplasty.  There is more information here: http://www.advancedreconstruction.com/hernia-treatment/  I am planning on having this--last year I had a ventral hernia that nearly killed me and then the repair infected and I was back in the hospital for  5 days.  I have another--at least one, likely two--hernia and my abdominal muscles are in bad shape due to emergency gall bladder surgery 27 years ago, two C-sections and the hernia repair last year.  The surgeon I am seeing is the expert on this and says that it will cure my hernias....and allow a nice removal of the loads of skin folds on my lower abdomen. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/14 7:15 am

This is the use of a mesh that reinforces the weakness of the abdominal wall. Maybe you had this mesh used already for it does increase the chance of infection but it is worthwhile to strengthen the areas, esp if you have had recurrent problems. Removal of the skin and repair of the diastasis will help also. Good luck!

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

sassygirl1410
on 9/19/14 12:51 am
RNY on 02/28/13

Thanks-- Yes-- the repair of the diastasis will be part of the entire procedure.  It is my understanding that with the horizontal tears in the diastasis, in addition to the separation, the BARs is the only permanent solution....I certainly don't want to do this more than once! 

Most Active