Panniculectomy

prnati143
on 11/9/14 5:28 am - Patchogue, NY

Finally after a year and a half wait I got my surgery date.. I'm getting my Panniculectomy done on jan 20th.. It's exciting but I'm scared because I don't know what to expect.. The amount of excess skin I have is crazy and hangs almost to my knees it's like when I walk my body goes one way and the skin goes another and the sores are unbelievable at times so I can't wait for it to be removed.. Can anyone share thoughts or stories or photos of whAt they went thru getting the Panniculectomy done? Thanks In advance for all the help it means a lot to me.. 

MeliT
on 11/10/14 8:51 am - Miami, FL

omg how exciting!! i wanted to get a panniculectomy but all the docs said i should get an extended TT instead. mine is in march. wow! you're gonna feel like a new woman!! can't wait to hear about it and see the result! good luck sweety!!!

prnati143
on 11/10/14 9:10 am - Patchogue, NY

Thank you so much and yes I'll tell you all about it and good luck hun on yours :)

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/11/14 3:53 pm

Instead of a panniculectomy, I got an extended TT too.  My advice from what I've witnessed is to be very very open and honest with your surgeon.  Find out exactly what's included in your surgery.

Will you Mons pubis be lifted?  If not, pay extra and have it done.  If not, it may look like a scrotal sac hanging down post panniculectomy.  My friend's surgeon didn't lift hers and she now has to wear a girdle daily. 

Another thing to ask is if he or she will pull skin down from your upper stomach.  Some will only cut off the hanging pannus and leave everything else.  IT's quite unslightly and leaves many looking disfigured.

Make sure you have a long conversation with your surgeon.  Don't leave anything to chance.  Know exactly what is included and if you're getting it.  Ask to see pictures of others who have had the exact procedure, not a TT - they are very different.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Needanewbeginning
on 11/11/14 10:54 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I know many decide to just have the panni done but your absolutely correct. You must ask questions. I chose to upgrade to a tt for all the reasons shown above.  

I am not willing to just have the roll removed. I want a complete solution. If I just do a panni, it would only remove the roll, that's it. 

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

prnati143
on 11/12/14 10:44 am - Patchogue, NY

Thanks so much I honestly didn't think of that and that will be my first questions..

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/12/14 10:48 am

My poor friend didn't even consider the surgeon would not lift her mons. She went into a deep depression post op because she actually looked worse. Her surgeon charges $3,000 to lift the mons if it's during the original pannulectomy. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

prnati143
on 11/12/14 12:33 pm - Patchogue, NY

Well I'm definitely gonna ask about that because I want to make sure I have every part covered so thanks for making me aware

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/14 1:18 am

I am curious why your plastic surgeon is not doing an abdominoplasty(TT) with muscle plication. I congratulate you for going to do it but it is rare that I do a panniculectomy. This leaves a scar across the midportion of your tummy, belly button and so the scar is way more visible then above your pubic hair area. It may not be so important now because you have so much tissue, but later you may be disappointed. Also, and very importantly, the TT lower incision also allows me to do a pubic lift as well as flatten the tummy by repairing the stretched muscles. The general surgeon or the one that did your bariatric surgery maybe is doing it and not a bariatric plastic surgeon. The insurance companies do look more favorably about covering a panniculectomy but you with your medical problems like your sores, your insurance company should cover a full abdominoplasty. I would recommend that you do get another consultation with a bariatric plastic surgeon. You can go to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website(www.ASBPS.org) for further info and referrals to plastic surgeons in your area.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

tmac1502
on 1/2/15 6:33 am

Yes, please do let us know how it goes.  I'm going for my consult the end of April.  I too would just do the panni and mons lift now.  I've lost over 100 lbs, but have about 175 more to lose (some of that is in my panni).  I will have the extended TT done when I am closer to goal, but at this time, my panni is so huge compared to the rest of me and causing so many issues, that it needs removed and a hernia repaired so that I can continue losing and getting even more active.  My GP thinks that at this time my pannus could be 30 + pounds itself.  It is definitely the only thing stopping me from wearing size 24 pants and I have to wear 30-32 just because of the pannus.  I understand your wanting to get this done ASAP.  I would definitely go the route others recommended if it is too early for a TT and the pannus is causing issues.

Most Active