The "Out-of Control" Feeling Before Surgery

Ihearttennis
on 11/19/14 11:01 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I wasn't worried at all for my wls because I knew success or failure would be in my hands, as a result of how compliant I would be with my program.  With my plastics procedure approaching I find I am much more concerned and nervous because I am solely relying on the skill of my surgeon to deliver successful results. I have faith in him that he is an excellent surgeon but the "what if's" keep nagging at me.  Anyone else feel this way prior to their surgery?

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Ashley in Belgium
on 11/20/14 3:51 am, edited 11/20/14 3:51 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

OMG YES!  This exactly!  I had so much anxiety and stressed over my hernia reapirs and TT than I did over any of my 5 other abdominal surgeries.  I felt like I had more to lose this time around.  I lost all the wieght, felt amazing, was living life out loud so to speak and to jeoperdize all that for a "vanity" surgery (though I'd argue it was as much for my sanity and well being as anything else) it was still somehow different.  I was also not very open about it.  Folks knew I was having the hernias repaired and that it was very necessary to have that done, but I didn't always share about the TT too.  I can't explain why really.  

I'd say relax, it'll be okay.  But really it's a roll of the dice.  Who knows if you will be happy with the result?  I hope so for your sake.  But I completely empathaze with the feelings of freak out.  I still have WTF have I done moments..... Ash

Edited for ipad typos

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Needanewbeginning
on 11/22/14 10:05 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Oh I totally understand how your feeling. I am usually very calm and an all will be fine kind of person, but I will admit I felt very nervous Friday when I was on my way to surgery. 

The moment my surgeon came in the prep room, it all changed. He could see I was very nervous, he qued the anesthetist to "make my friend confortable would you please" and he stood and held my hand and said lets do this shall we? 

For the next 20-30 minutes I was calm and relaxed and couldn't wait for them to start.

You have done your research and chosen someone your comfortable with. Trust yourself. 

Right now, its a wee bit painful this new body I have, (tummy tuck, mons lift, lipo/flanks) but worth it all.

Be strong, stay positive. This is part of your wls and you have done amazing and  I have no doubt you will continue this way.

Annette 😄👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Ihearttennis
on 11/23/14 9:44 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Thank you so much for your comforting words. I'm so glad your surgery went well and are on the road to recovery. I hope you post pictures!! 

Jen

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Needanewbeginning
on 11/23/14 10:05 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Thanks pal, I will. I am still in shock at how I look!! Seriously! 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Most Active