Post Plastics

Karen R.
on 12/21/14 12:12 am
RNY on 04/14/13

Hi, all.

I don't post a lot on this board, though I've lurked an awful lot.  I had my RnY in April 2013 and lost 114 lbs.  Last Tuesday (the 16th), I went in for a body lift and breast mastoplesty.  I thought I'd share my experience (so far!).  My surgeon is Dr. Otto Placik.  I did a ton of research online (various doctor review sites, RealSelf.com, etc.).  I live overseas, so I had a very narrow "window," if you will, to find someone.  I was in the country last May, which is when I did my various consultations with a view of having the surgery over the holidays (which is when I normally come to the U.S. anyway).

When I started with my consults, I was debating whether I'd get a body lift, my breasts and arms done, or if I'd just stick with the first two.  Of the doctors with whom I met, the opinion was universal--what improvement I'd see with my arms wasn't enough to justify the cost, pain and scar.  So, in the end, I was focused on just the two procedures.

Since I was down now to two surgeries, I wanted them done at the same time, something most of the surgeons with whom I met weren't will to do.  I'd debated about going down to Mexico and have my work done by Dr. Sauceda.  I've been impressed by the before/afters of many of his patients, and I know he uses "twilight sleep" to keep his patients under longer.  But I don't have a primary care physician in the U.S. and if there was a complication post-op, I didn't want to get stuck going to the emergency room.

I really liked Dr. Placik's portfolio and his manner--very friendly and kind, but straightforward as well.  I didn't feel like he was trying to "sell" me.  His staff was great and the location couldn't be beat.  He has an office in downtown Chicago (up near Water Tower) and a suburban office about 15 minutes away from my sister.  I'm staying with her to convalesce, so you can't really beat it.

I also liked that he offered the option of booking me in with a nursing home directly across the street from the hospital after surgery.  Having now gone through this, I don't know how anyone has this surgery without professional help while they heal.  I had zero mobility the first couple of days afterwards.  I couldn't get into or out of bed on my own, I was dizzy, a bit nauseous--I wasn't a happy camper!  I would up staying for four nights at the care facility.  I can't imagine having gone home directly to my sis and her family.  I know many people do this and fly on through.  I salute you, because it would have been beyond me.

I'm doing well.  The surgery went textbook and I've had no complications so far, beyond a small blister near my right side drain.  I'm tired and have been taking a 3-4 hour nap midday in addition to the 9 hours or so of sleep I get overnight.  What's most unexpected for me is the level of pain.  It's high.  At least as far as I can tell.  In addition to my RnY, I had a full hysterectomy five years ago.  With both of those surgeries, my doctors were telling me I needed to slow down, that I was pushing myself too much.  Recovery was a breeze!  Not with this.  If I don't have my pain pills every four to five hours, I'm REALLY not a happy girl.  It kills me.  The doc sent me home with Cephalexin (an antibiotic), Ondansetron for nausea, Diazepam for anxiety and muscle spasms and Hydrocodone for pain.  I also had a pain pump inserted after the surgery (which I didn't even realize at first--it was entirely automatic).  I will run out of Hydrocodone today.  I plan to ask for more.  Fingers crossed that I get it.  

I asked the doc how much skin he cut away.  He said 4-5 lbs.  He then said, "But I'll bet you're holding on to 8-10 lbs of water.  He's right.  In fact, it's likely more.  I weighed 124 a week ago Friday, which is when I went in for my last set of measurements prior to the operation.  Yesterday, I weighed 133.  My belly is lopsided right now with water retention.  I can't really get a sense of what everything is going to look like when it's said and done.  

My breasts are nice and small though!  When I consulted with the doc, I told him I didn't want my breasts bigger; I just wanted them higher.  I told him, "I'm currently a 32D.  I'd love to see that get down to a B."  Dr. Placik thought about it for a minute then said, "I think I should be able to get you there."  I think he did!

Otherwise, I have zero appetite (but try to eat regularly), I'm constipated as all get out (despite having Miralax twice a day) and I'm tired.  I'm able to stand up straight as of this morning.  That's a big step.  It's pretty much what I thought it would be.  I can't wait for things to settle.  I'm so happy I've done this.  But I'd like my body to get its act together.  ;-)

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Ihearttennis
on 12/21/14 7:24 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I had a ten hour surgery and got a circumferential 360 incision, breast lift/augmentation, arms and butt lift(which really was more of skin excision and not a true lift).  I had it on Thursday and came home yesterday.  I don't know how I would be surviving this recovery without the help of my husband.  I also have great meds! 

I weighed 131 day of surgery and came home 137.  Not worried about it because I know its fluid.  I also paid $75.00 for one  powerful nausea pill  that I think really helped. My tummy looks great but yesterday one breast was the sizeof a cantaloupe and the otherte size of a baseball.  today I can really see an improvement.

good luck with yourrecovery.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Karen R.
on 12/21/14 10:48 am
RNY on 04/14/13

Thanks so much! I wish you the best as well. Take care.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

ravenbrown
on 12/21/14 11:37 pm - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

You're less than a week out?  The pain is totally normal.  I have a high pain threshold, and I generally recover very quickly.  I was on two percocet every four hours for the pain.  That's a lot of drugs, and I still couldn't laugh/sneeze/etc without feeling like there was lightning in my belly.  I cannot imagine any PS not giving you more pain killers after the surgeries you just had.  Good luck!  I envy the people who lose their appetite after surgery.  My appetite went into total overdrive :) 

Karen R.
on 12/22/14 1:11 am
RNY on 04/14/13

Thanks for the reality check.  :-)  Yeah, it'll be a week tomorrow.  

I'll admit I've been surprised the pain has been so extreme.  It hits quickly too.  One minute, I'll be sitting there thinking, 'I'm okay.  It's all good.'  Then, it's really, really not.  I've been sleeping a ton too.  I figure that's got to be good.  I know this is going to take some time before I feel like me again.

ravenbrown
on 12/22/14 1:14 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I honestly felt fine after three weeks.  I had soreness in my abs for months, but it was more like post-good ab workout soreness than anything bothersome.  I took naps every day for the first three weeks because I was just so tired.  I was working within a week, still taking narcotics and napping in the afternoon.  I work from home, though, so I have that luxury :)  Rest, try to get your protein in, and you will feel like your old self in no time

emelar
on 12/22/14 1:36 am - TX

I had the LBL and felt fine - as long as I was perfectly still and prone.  The first few weeks are absolutely painful and no fun whatsoever.  But it'll pass.  Congratulations on making it through!  Take it very easy on yourself. 

Karen R.
on 12/22/14 7:12 am
RNY on 04/14/13

Thanks! It's definitely a different beast from the WLS itself. That was sooo easy (by comparison). Plastics are reminding me basically every moment of the day that I've chosen to do something extreme to myself. Still, I'm thrilled! I never thought I'd be lucky enough to find myself here. :-)

Sherrie P.
on 12/22/14 10:45 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I had mastopexy, brachioplasty and tummy tuck and when I came home my lower body had swollen five inches and I weight 6 pounds more. 

Congrats on your surgery!!!

I had constipation so bad I had to resort to an enema... best decision. 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Karen R.
on 12/24/14 12:00 am
RNY on 04/14/13

Today, we'll be moving on to mineral oil.  Yuck!  Still, something has to be done.  The doc (who I saw yesterday for my follow-up) mentioned an enema.  But we decided to try the mineral oil and milk of Magnesia first.  We'll see how that goes.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has gone through Swell Hell.  I know that intellectually (it gets mentioned on the boards all the time).  But I'll admit I love the reinforcement.  ;-p

Thanks!

Most Active