Wait time for PS

DrL
on 6/25/15 9:39 pm - Houston, TX

I think the timing depends on the individual, the surgery, and when they reach a stable (not necessarily a "goal") weight.  If you've had a lifetime battle, I think perhaps a longer wait than 6 months would be beneficial.  I am reassured if you are well-supported by your family, friends, support group. Also, I'm encouraged if you are having an easy time with the surgery's effect on your system, your diet, and your exercise routine. In those cases plastics could be an option after 6 months of stability. 

When I see a new patient, the main thing I want to know is "who was the surgeon?"  Lets face it, there are guys who will throw a band on anybody who walks in the door and never see them again, and there are professionals who truly care about their patients and carefully select the best operation and follow them through their postop course and beyond.  I know "who's who" in my community, so keep that in mind too. 

After 13 years of followup and hundreds of procedures, I do see my own patients *****lapse and regain.  Emotional stress, work issues, illness and other major life events are often culprits.  I also try and defer surgery on patients who I sense don't have a good relationship with their surgery and "eat around" what was done.  They need help, but not plastic surgery.

My "rule followers" who are compulsive about keeping up with their supplements, who do HealthTracker or the like, and who stress out over how long I'm going to keep them out of the gym also seem to do better sooner. It tells me they are "on track" and will likely keep up the good work.

So...it's a very individualized decision, and one you also want to be very honest with yourself about.  It's a lot of money for a surgery that (like the original WLS) could forever change your life for the better.  

Best

Dr L. 

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active