Home after LBL - plastics ain't for sissies!

Tracy D.
on 7/11/15 2:23 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Had my LBL with Dr. Joseph Barnthouse in Kansas City on July 8th.  Stayed two nights in the hospital.  My surgery went 7 hrs 45 min and wan't complete until 5:00 p.m. so I needed that extra night.  We made the 3-hour trek home to Omaha yesterday. 

Dr. Barnthouse said he took off 6-7 lbs. of skin/fat and did some lipo to my thighs and lower back section but only got 1/3 lb. of fat from there.  He was surprised at how lean I was - me too!  My thighs are solid but I thought I had a lot of fat pockets hanging out in the back.  At least it looked that way to me.  

I had seriously considered having this done in Mexico - now I can't IMAGINE having it done there. Although I wouldn't have received general anesthesia I also wouldn't have got lipo (Dr. G doesn't do it on women over 50) and I may not have gotten muscle tightening.  I had some blood pressure drops and severe itching/anxiety from the narcs and needed the hospital attention.  My poor hubby was already a basket case but having to do this on his own in Mexico would have put him in the looney bin.  

We had one scary situation yesterday after we got home.  We carefully took off my binder so he could get a clean t-shirt on me and clean off some of the glue and markings.  As he put my binder back on my b/p took a dive and I went out and stopped breathing.  I think because it's hard to breathe very deep with my muscles so tight!  I eventually "came to" but was shaky the rest of the day.  Poor hubby - he thought he'd killed me and was seconds away from calling 911 

I haven't had a good view of myself yet because of the 6 drains and all the dressings I have on.  I go back on Friday to see which drains can get pulled.  I'm very swollen but at Day 3 post-op I'm finally able to eat normally and get all my fluids in.  Today has been my best day by far.  

Things I've learned so far (there will be more): 

- Clean yourself out ahead of time.  I started Dulcolax 2x/day a few days before surgery and started taking Miralax in my protein shake two days before surgery.  I did all liquids the day before surgery.  I've had BMs every day since surgery.  

- Bromelain/tumeric supplements before and after surgery; arnica montana after surgery.  Good stuff.  Seems to be helping with swelling, bruising, etc. 

- A recliner is great for the day but I can't sleep in it.  I ended up getting a wedge pillow to sleep in bed at night.  

- No more pain meds for me! It took me a couple days to figure out that the hydrocodone was triggering intense itching - like itch-until-I-bleed itching.  I've stopped it and now I just itch where the binder gets me a little sweaty (normal).  I'm taking Tylenol and take .5 mg Clonezapam to sleep at night.  Honestly there's really no pain where the incision goes around me.  Like everyone tell us, it's the muscle tightening that is a *****! 

- Research pays off.  I searched on this site and other sites for all the info I could get about LBLs, post-LBL recovery, etc. I made a bunch of purchases, all of which seem to be working out right now.  Having the recliner, a grabber, a side table with baskets for all my "stuff", a back scratcher, ear plugs and eye mask (naps during the day) - all helpful.   

I made sure hubby took "before" pics and we'll get some "after" pics once I'm not covered up in dressings with 6 drains hanging off me.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

hollykim
on 7/11/15 2:46 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

You are right plastics is not for sissies! I had 4 procedures in a 12 hour surgery with Dr.mS in Mx.

he was very careful to instruct me to be reclining in the bed when we released/removed my compression garments and to remain lying for about 10 minutes after removing,to combat the blood pressure surge after they are removed. That is what I would suggest to you. 

Tracy D.
on 7/11/15 7:50 am, edited 7/11/15 9:03 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

We knew to do that part. It was when he put it back on that I passed out. Now I lie down for taking off AND putting on 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

hollykim
on 7/11/15 3:29 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

oh glad you knew that. Yeah I wou

d get a bit light headed after putting it back on. Those were the freaking tightest things I ever wore and I had two one for body and o e for breast so double tight onmy midriff!

Laura in Texas
on 7/12/15 5:13 am

Glad things are going well, despite the scare. My biggest advice it to be sure to lift your butt when moving in bed. Do not slide. At the 4 week mark, I was trying to shift in bed and slid my butt over instead of lifting it and tore a hole in the incision on my backside. I thought at the 4 week mark, I was home free. I wasn't. It took 2 weeks to heal. Just be careful!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

TheNewT
on 7/13/15 5:45 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Glad your husband was there with you to help you through. I have no doubt that you will recover quickly and the pain will soon be a distant memory. At least, that's what I hope for you!

Make sure it is forever recorded, your issues with hydrocodone. I have the same allergy and the itching is terrible. However, my throat began to close. That's truly bad.

Mell
on 7/13/15 8:11 am

The breathing think is I think from the tightening.  I also could not yell at my kids! HA  I am sure they did not mind but I think my diaphragm could not expand.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 7/13/15 8:19 am
VSG on 10/09/12

You made it through! Congrats! Now rest and take care of yourself. It will be all better soon and you will love the new you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

HuskerBrenda
on 7/13/15 11:02 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 09/23/13

Good to hear from you! I thought about you over the weekend and wondered if you were home. What is the plan for drain removal and other follow up? 

I can't wait to see your photos!!

-- Brenda

45y/o  5'4" Sleeve 9/23/13 Dr. Thomas White  HW 245; SW 232.8; CW 141.8

Tracy D.
on 7/13/15 11:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I go in this Friday and will probably get several drains pulled then.  Then I go back for 2 more f/u appts (he's on vacation for one week). Hope that all drains are pulled by July 21st.  

Most Active