has anyone had problems with infection after a thigh lift please

pixiepops
on 7/20/15 5:43 pm

I had a thigh lift 4 June this year my wound became infected and started to come apart I was admitted to hospital I had to go to theatre to have their area cleaned and a vac pump fitted later I had to return to theatre for it to be cleaned again and then then pump refitted then I had to go to theatre for a 3rd time to have a skin graft to help with them healing process I was in hospital for 3 weeks and 5 days I'm not at home recovering but have alot of pain then swelling has reduced but my legs still feel so tight it feels like my skin is going to split can anyone tell me if they have had problems of this kind and how long before I really start to improve 

JA
on 7/25/15 4:01 am - East Haven, CT

Hello

I had a bilateral thigh lift on 12-June and had a small infection in one of my incisions.  My surgeon immediately put me on an antiobiotic.  Thankfully that helped.  I also ended up with phlebitis.  This is one of the toughest PS to have done as you really cannot NOT use your legs.  I am finally feeling better and healing, but it was really a tough time.  I had what they refer to as a "hockey stick" incision, so down the inner thigh and into the groin area.  The stapes were just removed last week.  Good luck and hang in there.  This is NOT easy.

JA

DrL
on 8/2/15 3:58 pm - Houston, TX

The traditional lifts I used to perform often pulled apart because of the way the incision was designed...basically we were pulling the skin straight upward.  That method does not respect the way the leg and groin really move, and there were frequent problems. The newer techniques now allow the skin to move in 3 directions, very similiar to the way a tailor would take in your inseam, crotch, and then there is a "reverse hem" pull on the skin.  This divides the "pull" in a way that movement and stretching cannot pull the incision apart.

Also, I found that nixing the garments which bind in the groin, never using drains, and allowing patients to shower and bathe as they wish beginning the day after surgery dramatically lowers infection rates. The use of waterproof glue and a lift chair are very helpful. 

Honestly, I felt like the first 2 years of doing these (back in 2003 !) I made every mistake.  And BTW, 75% of the solutions to the problems were suggestions or ideas from my patients !

Best,

Dr L

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
pixiepops
on 8/2/15 9:56 pm

Thank you for your reply I am slowly healing although I've been left with a lot of scarring from there skin graft that had to be done due to the infection 

DrL
on 8/3/15 8:57 am - Houston, TX

Im so glad you are over the infection.  It sounds like you may have had a bad germ that got in there and caused a lot of tissue loss. These types of infections are rare but they must be treated aggressively which it sounds like they did. 

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
JA
on 8/3/15 8:56 am - East Haven, CT

My surgeon did a "hockey stick" incision and it has already faded quite a bit.  The antibiotic took the infection down thank GOD.  I also have a history of MRSA, so that could have been why I ended up with an infection too.  Thankfully, I'm on the mend.

Tieraherni
on 9/5/15 9:14 am - Chicago, IL

thanks 

Most Active