Tummy Tuck and Muscle Tightening

LoriLo45
on 11/9/15 7:36 am

I'm considering a tummy tuck or Panni with lipo and I've never had children and I'm 46.  Does anyone know if I would still need muscle tightening?  Has anyone else been in my situation?  I'm concerned about the recovery time with muscle tightening and was curious to hear how others have done.

Thanks for any advice or information.

emelar
on 11/9/15 8:51 am - TX

Your surgeon will examine you and let you know if you have muscle separation.  I never had children either, but my muscles were totally separated.  The muscle repair is painful, but you won't get the look or feel that you want without it!

LoriLo45
on 11/9/15 8:52 am

Thank you Emelar.

I'm guessing I will want the tightening for the best results as well.  If I'm going in I might as well go for the gusto!!  :O

Lisa167
on 11/9/15 10:56 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I wasn't sure I needed the muscle tightening.  When my surgeon examined me at my one year post-op and we were discussing plastics, he said I didn't need it.

My PS says I do.  I figure - you're there, go ahead and do it.  I'm not going through all of this for less than totally awesome results, lol.

sonnieN
on 11/9/15 11:23 am - grand rapids, MI

I never had kids and probably didn't need the tightening as my surgeon said I had very good muscle tone already. However he said since he was going to be in there he'd do it any way. I don't think it made my recovery any longer having it than not. I was walking almost completely upright at 10 days post op. Was at the gym walking on the treadmill at 3 weeks and back to work full time after 4 weeks. Back to working out 100% w/ cardio & weights at 7 weeks (would have been 6 but I still had one drain in until 7 weeks).

Neesie57
on 11/9/15 6:51 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

My daughter is 36 and had a Lower body lift in January, 2015.  She has no children and didn't need any muscle tightening.  So you never know until you get in there what is actually going to happen.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Karen518
on 11/10/15 7:52 am

I had TT with tightening over the summer. I'm 57 and had three very large children:). I had very little abdominal pain post surgically and would not hesitate to do it again if I need to.  I would let the doctor's advice be the key.  The pain can be managed, if you have it.  You don't want to come this far and not finish the job:)

JA
on 11/11/15 8:24 am - East Haven, CT

Opt for the tightening; I had it done twice, first time was botched, and he didn't do any muscle tightening.  Second time was a charm, with new surgeon, of course.  It's worth it.  BTW, no kids here either. 

JA

RN 7/2004 -100 lbs forever!!

Kim DeHart
on 11/18/15 4:04 pm - Evansville, IN

I went in for a consultation with my surgeon with the thinking I wanted to have the excess skin on my thighs and abdomen removed.  I hadn't even thought about anything to do with my muscles.  After examination my surgeon informed me I would need a circumferential abdominoplasty and medial thighplasty.  Each surgery would be approximately 6 hours.  I not only had excess skin on my abdomen but also fat and laxity of my muscles on my abdomen, hips and back.  My surgeon made an incision all the way around my torso right above my pelvic bone.  He removed 8.5 pounds of skin and fat.  He also sutured my abdominal muscles to add more tightness.  He injected Exparel for pain.  I can honestly say I never had what I would call pain.  I felt really tight for about 3 weeks.  I don't believe I actually had any diastasis of my abdominal muscles.  He just sutured them to make them tighter.  Having the skin and fat removed would not really be totally beneficial if my muscles were still sagging.  LOL  I am so pleased with my results and would do it all over again.  I am scheduled to have my medial thighplasty on December 28th and am so excited!!

Laura in Texas
on 11/18/15 5:19 pm

Obesity can cause the muscles to separate, also. I never had kids but needed muscle tightening. I am glad I had it done.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active