What are the risks associated with liposuction surgery?

chessy670
on 11/15/15 9:39 pm

Hi guys! I'm 19 years old and planning to do liposuction surgery. I have a good body, but my thighs are looking fat. I have been doing many exercises to reduce the fat in my thighs, but there is not much effect. So I considered this and have made an appointment with Dr. Michael Kreidstein in Toronto. I just want to know the risks associated with the surgery and the time of recovery. Thanks!

jeterway
on 11/17/15 5:46 am

Well, it is surgery - so you will be under general anesthesia, so there are risks with that.  There is quite a bit of bruising associated with lipo.  You have to be careful with how much lipo is done - there is a maximum that they should remove in one treatment or they risk dehydrating you.  You should also be concerned about the resulting loose skin.  The doc should have you in some kind of garment for the next couple of months to minimize sagginess but depending on how much is actually taken out, you may have to consider skin removal as well.  I believe lymphedema is also a concern so make sure the doc knows what he/she is doing - this may only be a concern if skin removal is done - not sure about that.

Gwen M.
on 11/17/15 2:07 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Do you actually have excess skin?  Or just excess fat?  

If you have excess fat, the only way to take care of it is to reduce your body fat - you can't spot reduce just by doing thigh exercises, you'll need to reduce your caloric intake and exercise everything.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rose_smith91
on 11/18/15 2:46 am - Korea (south)

I don't know much about lipo but it's one of the quick fix kind of surgery. Since you only have issues with the thigh & rest of your body is fine, you wont need to remove a lot of fat. Ask every single detail to your surgeon, and after the surgery, you must wear a body garment. It will be made of elastic. In case you fear loose skin, opt for a 3D lipo. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/15 2:02 pm

First, liposuction does not remove or tighten much the loose skin. If you have a significant amount of skin, unfortunately, you are a candidate to have it removed. The risks of liposuction usually occur less than other surgeries but can include fluid collection, infection, uneveness, need for revisions, asymmetry, pulmonary embolus with rare death and anemia. 

cindimorgan
on 1/12/16 4:49 am

Liposuction is a true surgical procedure that does carry risks. However, if properly done by a board certified surgeon trained in the procedure, it can be very safe and very effective. The results are very dependent upon the skill of the surgeon. I have done many procedures over the past 28 years with minimal risks and excellent results. During your consultation, your surgeon can explain the procedure that will work best for you, and the risks involved. Do except some bruising and swelling for several weeks, and drainage for the first day. Adding specialized equipment, like laser, does increase some risks, but can give improved results.

Most Active