First Consult Done...

FuturePinUp
on 3/12/17 12:52 pm

I just had my first consult on Friday with a surgeon who came recommended to me via my bariatric doctor. This doctor's credentials are really impressive, so I met with him, even though I couldn't find any reviews and before/afters (Cornell-educated, head of plastic surgery at a major hospital here).

He told me that a tummy tuck would be sufficient for me (not a lower body lift), and that he could combine that with doing a breast lift and augmentation at the same time. The office said that they would start working on getting insurance approval for the TT (which they said they would do, even if insurance only pays for a panni-removal - no extra cost there). But then the price they quoted me for the lift/implant portion was $19,500! I was floored! And it has to be paid up front.

I first was under the impression that if I were already going under for something, there would be no extra cost for the anesthesia and hospital fees for the secondary procedure. I was apparently wrong. The financial lady told me that once the second procedure starts, they time it and the time spend on it come out of pocket. Has this been the experience others have had?

Anyway, as great as this doctor is, I am now looking for a second and third opinion in the NYC area. I'm not trying to skimp financially on something as important as surgery, but I also think 20 grand is a bit much, when google tells me $8K is about average in NYC.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Amy-77
on 3/12/17 4:06 pm - WI
RNY on 12/03/14

I underwent the panni removal insurance approved/covered (turned into full tummy tuck), and paid out of pocket for breast augmentation and arm lift. I had to pay out of pocket/up front the surgeons fees for the breast augmentation and arm lift and pay up front to the hospital and anesthesiologist for the time spent on the arm and breast portion. My fees for all of that out of pocket/up front was half of what your surgeon is charging. I did have my surgery in Wisconsin and not NYC so there would be cost variations but I agree early 20k for just a breast augmentation seems extreme.

Definitely get several quotes! Good Luck!

Height: 5'6    Highest Weight: 386     Surgery Weight (12/3/14): 344    Enjoy every day!

Gwen M.
on 3/12/17 8:51 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

That sounds right to me. Fees are paid to the hospital based on time, so the time devoted to non-insured procedures wouldn't be covered by insurance.

$19,500 just for lift/implant seems high - does that include an upper body lift as well? Or literally just the breasts?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

FuturePinUp
on 3/13/17 7:27 am

The $19,500 is literally just for a breast lift and augmentation. I've looked around and see other doctors in NYC charging around $8,000 - inclusive of all hospital fees, anesthesia, etc. I have reached out to get another consult.

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Laura in Texas
on 3/13/17 5:23 am

I would definitely get more consults. After losing 200 pounds, I am skeptical that you do not need a lower body lift. The cost does seem about right, though.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

FuturePinUp
on 3/13/17 7:33 am

$19,500 for just a breast augmentation and lift seems ok? I'm a little hesitant to spend that much on just that procedure. But I also don't want to "skimp" and have quality suffer.

The back of my body looks completely different from the front. Since I have always predominantly gained in my tummy, I have no sag of back skin, sides, booty...or really even thighs. It's like all in my abdomen. I will definitely see what other surgeons say, just in case!

Laura in Texas
on 3/13/17 8:10 am

3500-4000 is what most people post here that they pay to "upgrade" an insurance paid panni to an abdominoplasty, so then you are really looking at 16,000 for the breast work. I still think that is pretty average.

Plastic surgery is like painting a house, once you paint one room, the rest look worse by comparison. I have seen too many big losers like us post here that they did the front only and then later realized they had to go back and do the backside. Just see what other surgeons recommend.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

FuturePinUp
on 3/13/17 9:28 am

Just made another consult! The upgrade to a TT would be completely included in the insurance covered panni removal. My original consult surgeon, and the new one's office I just spoke to, mentioned it would cost me nothing out-of-pocket to upgrade to a full TT - which is great. So I can potentially start moving forward with just the TT and not pay anything (assuming insurance approval), but I'm really, really trying to combine the procedures.

The $19,500 is just for breasts alone, with the original consult doctor. The one I am seeing in two weeks charges roughly $9,000. That's less than half the original cost!

Djmohr
on 3/15/17 12:05 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

I am not surprised at that her surgeon can do what needs to be done without the lower body lift. I was worried about that myself having lost 152lbs. It has a lot to do with where one carries their weight. I personally did not have a lot of loose skin on my back, many others do.

When I went for numerous consultations, several times I was told I simply needed a regular abdominalplasty and not a lower body lift. So i January I had an full abdominalplasty , breast lift and augmentation and a revision on my left arm from a previous brachioplasty.

I am so thrilled with my tummy. Having had a lot of surgeries in my life including WLS and having two children, my tummy is now flat and tight! I am 53 years old and wasn't concerned about wearing a bikini, had I been I might have considered having a fleur di lis abdominalplasty to tighten up the sides a little more but I have to say I was not expecting the fabulous outcome I actually got from just a full abdominalplasty. And I wont even talk about my breasts! They are amazing. Young and perky size D.....I was previously a size C. My husband was very worried about having the lift because of the sheer number of scars and the risk to the nipples. Honestly, my nipples look fantastic and the scars around them a short 7 weeks post op are barely noticeable.

This really is all about finding the right surgeon and finding one willing to take the amount of time that you need to get comfortable enough to move forward.

In terms of cost, your surgeon seems a bit high. Depending the breast implant you choose that cost can go up and down as well. My total surgery was 17,500. My implants costs nearly 3K of that and I paid to stay in the hospital two nights which was 1,000 of that. My tummy tuck was not covered at all so it too is included in that price. My surgery took 10.5 hours! And.....I am still tired 7 weeks later. I am off all pain meds but clearly the zing in my step needs a little longer to come back.

Then again, I am in Milwaukee, Wi and not NYC or California where costs seem to be a lot higher.

FuturePinUp
on 3/15/17 6:36 pm

Thank you! I'll have to post some pictures at some point to really show the difference between the front/back. The surgeon actually covered my front half with my gown when I was standing sideways in front of the mirror, to demonstrate how it really looks like I was never obese from the back half...and then you get to the front. Hahah!

I am worried about the scarring - especially since I am very fair-skinned - but I also feel even if the scarring wasn't perfect, it would still be loads better than what I'm currently working with.

I'm slowly starting to put some money away but will likely have to ask my parents for help. I'm just really hoping I can get this whole process done this summer.

Aside from the consults, my next step is a mammogram - which I have never had, but my doctor requires, prior to augmentation.

Most Active