Panniculectomy questions

Patty R.
on 4/20/17 7:30 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Since day 2 out from bypass I have been dealing with a nasty rash/irritation from the abdominal flap of skin. I use prescription strength powder and cream. Clears up for a week, then back with a vengeance. We had a few nice, warm days last week that caused an increase in the perspiration factor. The irritation was so bad it bled.

I am only 7 months post-op. I've already discussed this with my surgeon and my insurance carrier, and I have been documenting with monthly pictures. The surgeon has been the prescriber of the powder and cream and has also documented at my check-ups. Surgeon says at the 1 year point panniculectomy will be OK, insurance says at any time post op it will be OK'd with proper documentation.

I don't think I will be at goal at 1 year out, but my quality of life sucks with this raw, bleeding mess.

Compression garments seem to add to the perspiration factor. I even tried a maternity belly support belt to hold this "apron" up, but to position it properly, it sits right on one of the open skin areas, so no go with that.

Prior to RnY I had the lap-band and had lost weight to the point I am now, but no skin problems like this before, ever.

Any ideas out there?? Thoughts about getting this skin off before goal weight achieved??

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

3yearsskinny
on 4/20/17 9:15 am

Hi, Oh I so know what you are going through. I am just over 3 years post op and had my panni this past January. I would not recommend having a panni until you have reached or stopped loosing your weight. Reason being is if you have it before you are done loosing weight, you will have more sagging skin when you loose more weight and be back to square one again. What I did was pretty much grin and bare it. Do your best to keep it clean and dry. I actually would put pieces of material between my folds so no skin contact would happen. Maybe also try anti fungus cream used for yeast infections and put material on it so no skin contact also if you lie down etc try to air it as much as possible. Hope this helps some. :-)

Gwen M.
on 4/20/17 11:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think part of the decision, if I were making it for myself, would be "if insurance covers the panniculectomy now, will I be able to afford the LBL with no insurance help later?" If the answer is yes, I'd go ahead with the panniculectomy now for quality of life. If the answer is no... I guess that prompts other questions for you to ask yourself.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 4/21/17 6:41 am

Can you add something between your skin and the compression garment? Some fabric or an unscented maxi pad to absorb the moisture?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Patty R.
on 4/21/17 7:44 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Thanks! I am doing that. I think I'm struggling with the time line combined with the discomfort; heading into the summer sweats. :( I know I'm not the 1st and won't be the last!!

AggieMae
on 4/22/17 9:37 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I'm having the same sorts of problems with my upper arms. I plan to have the extra skin removed in late September even if I am not to my goal of 160lbs.

I think I can live with a small amount of flab I'd end up with if I lose a few pounds, I can't live with having my husband hold my wings out of t h e way to I can shave my underarms.

Patty R.
on 4/23/17 8:44 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I so understand. I'll be almost 59 at the end of this year, when I'd like to get this panni off. My bikini days are long gone. If I end up with a little pooch, it will still be a hell of a lot better than things are now!!

Good luck to you!!

Donna L.
on 4/26/17 4:38 pm, edited 4/26/17 9:39 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I am nowhere near goal, but my extra tummy skin is...massive. The scar where my belly button was (my belly button was surgically removed ten years ago) is...nowhere near where a belly button should be.

Normally I'd want to lose another 90 pounds first, however all of my doctors have strongly encouraged me to get it removed. I need two knee replacements, and while I get around better than you might expect, the skin is causing me to not move well, and I trip and stumble a lot. It is painful and pulls - I have had 3 abdominal surgeries after all, and compression garments don't really work, as I have a LOT of skin. I also may have lipidema which complicates matters.

I'm prepared to save up for the LBL later, and I may switch jobs, so I figured now...why not? I honestly don't even care about breast reconstruction at this point.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active